Wild Caught Tuna?

Started by Mike Cork, August 03, 2023, 12:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

So are there Tuna farms? as apposed to tuna caught in the sea  ;)

I was opening tuna cans today for lunch and on the side of it were the words "Wild Caught Tuna".... What does that mean? I've never seen a tuna farm... Are there lakes out there that tuna are swimming in a giant circle? Seems feeding them would make you go broke?

Maybe it means they were caught on rod and reel and not nets  ~bb If so I want that job :-*

What say you UB... what does "Wild Caught Tuna" mean ??

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Donald Garner

Quote from: Mike Cork on August 03, 2023, 12:44:52 PMSo are there Tuna farms? as apposed to tuna caught in the sea  ;)

I was opening tuna cans today for lunch and on the side of it were the words "Wild Caught Tuna".... What does that mean? I've never seen a tuna farm... Are there lakes out there that tuna are swimming in a giant circle? Seems feeding them would make you go broke?

Maybe it means they were caught on rod and reel and not nets  ~bb If so I want that job :-*

What say you UB... what does "Wild Caught Tuna" mean ??

Well I google it (Wild Caught Tuna)  It meant what I thought it did but I double checked anyway.

Wild Caught Tuna means it's Not Farm Raised.  Those wild tuna are swimming around in schools out in the ocean.  There is a Hatchery here in the U.S. where they raise tuna.  The Juvenile Tuna are taken from the ocean and then 'Fatten' in net pens.  There are several countries in Europe, Asia and North Africa that Farm Raise Tuna also.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Oldfart9999

Farmed makes sense, there just isn't enough to feed the population that now desires it. Salmon are farmed and others should be on the way. Some shellfish are being farmed also. There are also fish species that can be exploited.
Rodney

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

skidemn

Yes, there are Tuna pens out of San Diego, right across the broader in Mexican waters, not far from the Coronado Islands. They are grow out pens and are the equivalent of farm raised fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wizard

We have to farm sea critters because... the dang Chinese fishing fleets with hundreds of boats each are cleaning the ocean's of resources.

Wizard

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Wizard on August 05, 2023, 05:10:38 PMWe have to farm sea critters because... the dang Chinese fishing fleets with hundreds of boats each are cleaning the ocean's of resources.

Wizard
Neat traick they do, catch all the fish AND spy on the rest of the world at the same time. We need to quit trading with them.
Rodney

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Capt. BassinLou

Let's stay on track with this topic.

Mike Cork

Wow I had no idea that it was feasible to raise tuna in a pin. Honestly I figured they'd die if they weren't constantly moving and the feeding? These things EAT... I imagine there is some form of non-live food that can be made that they will eat then.

Very curious...

Thanks for the input guys ~c~

Cork's Reel Service

fishingram24

Mike, I remember seeing a video years ago that looked like a million fish in a net pen. They were really packed in with the whole bunch swimming in circles. Huge amount of waste deposited in a small area of the ocean.
Retired and loving every minute of it!

J.W.

Quote from: Mike Cork on August 08, 2023, 03:58:18 PMWow I had no idea that it was feasible to raise tuna in a pin. Honestly I figured they'd die if they weren't constantly moving and the feeding?
I'd have never figured that either. Seems like too big of a fish to keep very many contained and alive. Must be some huge net pens.

skidemn

Quote from: Mike Cork on August 08, 2023, 03:58:18 PMWow I had no idea that it was feasible to raise tuna in a pin. Honestly I figured they'd die if they weren't constantly moving and the feeding? These things EAT... I imagine there is some form of non-live food that can be made that they will eat then.

Very curious...

Thanks for the input guys ~c~
Here's something to help you get a better idea. The pens are about 150' in diameter and about 50' deep.

They a full of bluefin tuna that are fed a diet of sardines and then sold to Japan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

Pretty cool, thanks for posting that.

Cork's Reel Service

Apoc81

I fish yellowfin quite often, and bluefin at least once a year, and I had no idea they farmed it.

Nutoy

There was a show years ago, I think it was called "Tuna Wranglers", or something like that.
These guys ran around in boats with huge strike nets catching schools of wild Tuna, and putting them in holding pens to fatten up, and then sell them to the market.
Here's a video of them in action.

Donald Garner

Nutoy, tks for sharing that video with us.   That was pretty cool watching how it's all done.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard