Which Hook For Rage Magnum

Started by Maggfish, April 23, 2023, 02:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maggfish

Which hook and size do you like for the Rage Magnum, don't know if I've been having trouble with
hook set because I'm still using mono, or because I need to go to bigger hook, using a number 5
owner worm hook now

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Maggfish on April 23, 2023, 02:58:19 PM
Which hook and size do you like for the Rage Magnum, don't know if I've been having trouble with
hook set because I'm still using mono, or because I need to go to bigger hook, using a number 5
owner worm hook now
Doesn't sound like it's your hook. 5/0 is a big hook. Mono is very springy. Maybe try out f/c line or braid if your pitching or flipping.

What rod are you using?

Maggfish

I'm using a medium, heavy flipping rod, 12 pound big game mono line, think I might try the
flouro, like you suggested and a straight shank hook, like the trokar flipping hook

FlatsNBay

I would switch to fluorocarbon but if you want to stick with mono go with a lighter wire hook. You will have better penetration Avoid heavier gauge or super line hooks with mono as they will require too much force for solid hookups and the springiness of mono would work against that.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Maggfish on April 24, 2023, 06:05:15 AM
I'm using a medium, heavy flipping rod, 12 pound big game mono line, think I might try the
flouro, like you suggested and a straight shank hook, like the trokar flipping hook
I see it's a flipping rod. Are you using it as a flipping rod? 12lbs is a really light line for flipping.
Making the switch to f/c will help. But I would increase line to 17-20lbs if you're flipping.

Smallie_Stalker

I agree with Flats and Lou on increasing pound test.

I would advocate for braid and a straight shank heavy duty hook but that is a personal preference. You have to find what works for you.

Please let us know how things work out for you.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Hobious

for sure go to a lighter wire hook.  if you dont want to change anything else.

and 3/0 size...maybe 4/0