Pros and Cons of Kayak Fishing

Started by FlatsNBay, April 05, 2024, 10:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

It's been a little over a month that I've been enjoying my Old Town Sportsman 106PDL pedal kayak. I got to thinking of some pros and cons along with some lessons learned (so far).

As a reminder, I've been a boat owner since I was 12 years old and I owned a few kayaks here and there over the years. The kayaks that I used to fish out of were the traditional style and were very tippy and uncomfortable on your back. It turned me off of kayak fishing. Fast forward until now, I learned about pedal drive kayaks that were wide, stable, and ultra comfortable for all day fishing. The new fishing kayaks are made for fishing and provide a very comfortable stable platform and stand up fishing is actually encouraged! I changed my mind and I bought 2 Old Town Sportsman kayaks.

Here's a few pros and cons that I determined for kayak fishing out of a kayak designed for fishing.

Pros:

Can access many waters that traditional boats cannot.

Less pressured fisheries

Can launch almost anywhere

Easy cleanup

Don't have to pay for boat gas

No maintenance fees

No trailer to maintain

Can use in both salt and freshwater

Easy to store

Easy to move around by hand (with cart)

Allows the addition of countless accessories

Can propel easily with a gentle pedal

Can go in both forward and reverse

Pedal drive provides easy hands free fishing

Can easily stand up in with a stable platform.

Can carry numerous rods. I can easily carry up to 8 rods.

Fishing so close to the water is very peaceful.

Environmentally friendly.

Can travel several miles with a pedal drive.

Can add a trolling motor

Can paddle if needed

Fun, Fun, Fun!

Cons:

Can't pick up and move long distances while fishing. Pick an area and stick with it.

Pedal drive is not good in weeds or in very shallow water.

It's a more solo type of experience if you are used to fishing with other people.

Kayak fishing in the wind is much tougher than in a boat.

Storage space is much more limited in a kayak.

They can be heavy. Mine is over 100 lbs fully rigged out.

Can be difficult to transport without a trailer or truck because they are heavy.

Must be aware to be visible to other boaters so that you don't get run over. Wear bright colors on busy waterways.

Princeton_Man

I still look at them several times a year. My problem is I always end up wanting spotlock, the bigger battery, and all the extras. So I'll end up needing a trailer too along with more garage space to store it.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

big g

Flats thanks for the review.  It sounds like your really enjoying yours.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Hobious

my list is similar.

add:  no need for a tow vehicle.

Slightly more dangerous than a boat.  and wind sucks.

Masterbasser45

Wind is the one biggest con for me. I have a Bonafide SS127 that is fully man powered. I throw an anchor out when the wind is bad and fish the hell out of an area. I'm still experimenting with my anchor methods. But con for me so after a hot day and a lot of fishing I'm wore out to load everything up and then clean my yak when I get home.
"Don't be a dumb Bass"

Hobious

Quote from: Masterbasser45 on May 04, 2024, 08:46:26 PMWind is the one biggest con for me. I have a Bonafide SS127 that is fully man powered. I throw an anchor out when the wind is bad and fish the hell out of an area. I'm still experimenting with my anchor methods. But con for me so after a hot day and a lot of fishing I'm wore out to load everything up and then clean my yak when I get home.

i do envy the bass boat guys that just pull their rigs into a big garage or barn and go into the house for some lemonaide.  unloading my truck and kayak after a long hot day is arduous work. 

now if i had a box van!!

Hobious

lacing the fishing line down the rod guides while bobbing up and down and being blown around by wind and current is a really good time on a kayak.   good times!!! 

FlatsNBay