The Finished Lures

Started by D.W. Verts, November 27, 2021, 04:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.W. Verts

I've been asked (I really have) about the final products from my three-part lure painting and building videos on YouTube. So here they are-

Folks, these were done as simply as possible with rattle can spray paint. They'll work without being beautiful. In fact in the pic the jerkbait is tied on already. It'll hopefully get a work out next week and I have full confidence in it.

I'll be doing some more, and probably another YouTube video soon enough, as I attempt some custom colors for contest winners SmallieStalker and apenland01.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Wizard

Something I learned from years on the water and my own paints was to make the bait look injured. I used screen wire to make scale patterns on my cranks. I would always leave some areas without scales which made them appear injured and vulnerable. On new cranks with a chrome foil, I would use my knife to scrape off foil. Sometimes very smaller areas up to fingernail size. This allowed the dull white plastic color to show with the bait's painted pattern. Again, it appears injured and vulnerable.

Wizard

zippyduck

Quote from: Wizard on November 27, 2021, 04:44:45 PM
Something I learned from years on the water and my own paints was to make the bait look injured. I used screen wire to make scale patterns on my cranks. I would always leave some areas without scales which made them appear injured and vulnerable. On new cranks with a chrome foil, I would use my knife to scrape off foil. Sometimes very smaller areas up to fingernail size. This allowed the dull white plastic color to show with the bait's painted pattern. Again, it appears injured and vulnerable.

Wizard

That may be why a well used jig starts to catch more fish and why that favorite crank is the first one tied on.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Wizard on November 27, 2021, 04:44:45 PM

Wizard
I am forever telling people NOT to repaint baits when parts of the finish gets worn or chewed off.

Sometimes after a few hookups with toothy critters a plastic bait can get punctured all the way through. In that situation I fill it with epoxy, sand the area and then put a clear coat sealant over it.

But I won't repaint the bait.

Great post Wizard!

Sent from my One Plus 9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

D.W. Verts

Hmmm...You mean like THESE?

Dale

Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: D.W. Verts on December 06, 2021, 03:55:19 PM

Dale
Zactly!

Sent from my One Plus 9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Oldfart9999

Quote from: D.W. Verts on December 06, 2021, 03:55:19 PM

Dale

Golly gee willikers but those look purdy!!! Could it be that the color wasn't the primary factor they worked but that they could hunt was primary and color was secondary?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.