Line - How to get the most for your money

Started by fishballer06, December 07, 2017, 01:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishballer06

On another forum that I frequent, one member posted a question asking what he can do to get the most bang for his buck whenever it comes to expensive fluorocarbons and braids. I had made the comment that I buy in bulk and that it makes the cost of spooling up much cheaper. So I actually sat down and did the math to explain the method to the madness. So for those of you who hate spending money on fluoro and braid and keep buying the little 200 yard spools, you're doing it all wrong. I hope everyone finds this informative.

Example:

Sunline Sniper FC 16lb.

TW price - $23.99 for 200 yard spool - 0.11995 per yard
TW price - $66.99 for 660 yard spool - 0.1015 per yard

Factor in buying during a 20% off sale

TW price - $53.59 for 660 yards - 0.0811 per yard

If I figure that I need 70 yards of fluro on my reel:

200 yard spool normal price - $8.39 per spooling - 2 spools and 60 yards to try to make due with
660 yard spool normal price - $7.10 per spooling - 9 spools and 30 yards for leader use
660 yard spool sale price - $5.67 per spooling - 9 spools and 30 yards for leader use
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Pacific NW Ron

Great information.  Thanks for sharing.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Mike Cork

Good stuff, just make sure you are storing the Flouro properly, light is a death sentence. I change line a lot, maybe every three trips. Buying in bulk has saved me a ton over the years. It's also cost me on occasion. When you get a bad spool, it's a big bad spool  ~roflmao

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Kris

Another thing I do to make a spool of braid or fluoro go farther is to have backing on the reel. I will normally use mono as backing so that it doesn't cost me a lot. I try to make sure that I have at least 100 yards of the braid or fluoro at a minimum I also use Sufix Performance Braid which costs less than $10 for 100 yard spool. For fluoro I have started trying out Seaguar Red Label which I get at Wally World for less than $11 a spool. I have also been getting P-Line CXX in 600 yd spools for less than $14.
I am thinking about trying out some Tatsu but that stuff is too expensive for me, even on sale.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

merc1997

always buy line in bulk when you can.  very little waste and much more cost effective.

bo
On Heaven's Lake