Uncle Josh Pork Baits

Started by skidemn, September 08, 2023, 08:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skidemn

So I was doing some garage cleanup and found an old jig and spinnerbait box that had a bunch Uncle Josh Pork trailers. I know they stopped making pork trailers in their original form long ago, and even ended the revised versions about 7 years ago. These are significantly older than that, with at least one bottle from 1988. My question is that I see there is a layer of something nasty on top in several bottles, and I'm wondering if I could clean them up and put new brine in the bottles, or if these have to be trashed. Aside from the stuff floating on top, the baits still look pristine, well as pristine as an old pork product could look after 35 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J.W.

Blast from the past!  lo
Your nose might get a blast too, if you open those jars.

Let us know how it goes if you put together some '88 vintage pig n jig.

njpaulc

They started making pork frogs again last year.  They're expensive and sold in a plastic "bag" of 2 frogs.  They are only making 5 colors.  I don't know anyone who's tried them.  The "schmutz" at the top of the bottle should be congealed fat.  Skim it off, remove the frogs, mix up some more brine (salt and water) and you should be good to go.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: njpaulc on September 09, 2023, 11:30:18 AMThey started making pork frogs again last year.  They're expensive and sold in a plastic "bag" of 2 frogs.  They are only making 5 colors.  I don't know anyone who's tried them.  The "schmutz" at the top of the bottle should be congealed fat.  Skim it off, remove the frogs, mix up some more brine (salt and water) and you should be good to go.
X2.

@skidemn

You've found a treasure! I've seen jars like these of the original #11 selling for $100+ dollars online.

I'm old school and I personally miss fishing the old jig 'n pig. They had their share of issues in hotter temps but nothing matches their action in cold water IMHO. And the bass didn't suck em in and spit em out like you find with plastic trailers. They just plain hung on tight !!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Donald Garner

Wow, you got some great stuff there.  Like mentioned by njpaulc in his posting you should be good to go.  Be careful opening up those jars  ;)
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

D.W. Verts

Well, you know what I think...

Shake 'em up and put them to use. There will never be anything better in my opinion.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

bigjim5589

I still have several bottles too, possibly 25 or 30 jars, with the majority being strips. We used them, white, yellow, or red, combined with Tony Accetta Pet spoons & with bucktail jigs for Striper fishing.

I liked the strips too for hair jigs when chasing bass.

The Black Widow Eel was a great pork bait combined with a Johnson's Silver Minnow spoon.
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

FlatsNBay

Maybe you can strain the liquid to get out the funk?

D.W. Verts

LEAVE THE FUNK. Shake 'em up and use them. The "funk" is like built in fish attractor.

Dale

Wizard

A Jig & Eel was the standard back in the day. When the rubber legged jig came along, ol' #11 soon followed. I have jars marked $.98. Wonder what they're worth? I fished pork from November-early March even after decent plastic trailers evolved. I started using plastic year around about 1997. Dale called first dibs on my jars but at $100/jar, he may be out of luck.

Wizard

skidemn

Quote from: Wizard on September 10, 2023, 12:07:18 AMA Jig & Eel was the standard back in the day. When the rubber legged jig came along, ol' #11 soon followed. I have jars marked $.98. Wonder what they're worth? I fished pork from November-early March even after decent plastic trailers evolved. I started using plastic year around about 1997. Dale called first dibs on my jars but at $100/jar, he may be out of luck.

Wizard
My first job was working in a tackle store when I was 15 1/2 years old, and I bought the jar with the price tag when I was still there. I still remember the cost code- these cost us $1.47 back then. At only $.98, your jar must be several years older!

skidemn

I also found these in the tackle pack of my old float tube. Unlike the pork trailers, these are much fresher—only 25 years old!

D.W. Verts

Quote from: skidemn on September 10, 2023, 12:30:31 AMI also found these in the tackle pack of my old float tube. Unlike the pork trailers, these are much fresher—only 25 years old!

That'd be an awful big trailer for a live rubber jig. I say GO FOR IT.

Dale

bowhunter63

They were great in cold water. Bass pro shops has some. Miss those old pork baits
Chasin bass and huntin bucks,life is good