Tail Spinners!

Started by bigjim5589, November 10, 2021, 10:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjim5589

DW & I must have been thinking the same things recently. The "Little George" style lures are still good to have & use. Check out his article! http://ultimatebass.com/fishing/articles/bass-fishing-tips-and-techniques/blade-baits/hey-george-let-your-fishing-go-into-a-tailspin-this-winter/

These are all basic and range in weight from 3/8 oz to 3/4 oz. All powder coated in Pearl, with size 4 Daiichi trebles.

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

D.W. Verts

And Jim, maybe three folks will pay attention to this stuff... Beautiful baits, by the way.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

bigjim5589

Quote from: D.W. Verts on November 10, 2021, 04:08:55 PM
And Jim, maybe three folks will pay attention to this stuff... Beautiful baits, by the way.

Dale

lo That's OK, we know who the important people are who do!   ;)  lo   ~roflmao
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Wizard

Drop baits are good bass catchers.  Cast and retrieved, vertical jigged, almost any way you want to work it.  Designed by Tom Mann, Sr. and named after Governor "Little George" Wallace, it is a near perfect lure.  It's best as a cold water bait and is worked, as Dale said, "simple". As a hot weather bait for White Bass, it casts like a rocket. 
My winter baits are: jig, rouge, spade tail grub, Golden Nugget twin spin, jigging spoon and Little George

Wizard

bigjim5589

Quote from: Wizard on November 10, 2021, 06:10:50 PM
Drop baits are good bass catchers.  Cast and retrieved, vertical jigged, almost any way you want to work it.  Designed by Tom Mann, Sr. and named after Governor "Little George" Wallace, it is a near perfect lure.  It's best as a cold water bait and is worked, as Dale said, "simple". As a hot weather bait for White Bass, it casts like a rocket. 
My winter baits are: jig, rouge, spade tail grub, Golden Nugget twin spin, jigging spoon and Little George

Wizard

Great information Wizard! I knew that Tom Mann Sr had originated them, but didn't know why they were named as they are.  I never used them a lot. When we fished in the Chesapeake Bay or anywhere there were bridge structures and deeper water, they were a great choice. Most places I fished were shallow.

In the bay we used them for Striped Bass & White Perch, fishing around bridge pilings, vertically jigging them.

I also have a mold for the Golden Nugget lures, so maybe I'll give them a go too!  :-*   ;D

Oldfart9999

I don't winter fish but have used a soft plastic version in warm weather, the "Poche Rig". A soft stick with a screw lock, swivel and small blade, they pull through sparse grass and have the added flash.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Mike Cork

Loved fishing these baits in the winter. Wish I would have thought about painting the blades like that :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

bigjim5589

Quote from: Mike Cork on November 11, 2021, 08:34:19 AM
Loved fishing these baits in the winter. Wish I would have thought about painting the blades like that :-*

Mike, I don't use a lot of painted blades. When I do, it's basic colors, like the chartreuse shown, white or pearl, and black. I have gotten some other blades that were painted, or a different finish, but for the most part nickel or gold in smooth or hammered work as well as anything 99% of the time.

The chartreuse has been good for chasing Striped Bass as they seem to like it, but otherwise painted blades have been something I use sparingly.  Like most anything we use, there's always a time that something different works well, but I think the vibration is more important than the colors.  A lot of folks talk about colors not being seen at depths, and I think the flash from the blades would be the same, as they still need some light to have a flash. In shallower water, sure, the colors and flash are something to consider.

Mike Cork

Great point about depth, once it gets too deep color is gone anyway. Where I live you can stand up nearly anywhere but light penetration is minimal in that super deep and occasional 8 feet of water LOL our water is just very dark to start with.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

zippyduck

SSSHHH!!!!!!!

This is one bait that few guys throw in the Great lakes although it works great in the cold water months. I alter between it and a blade bait, usually one is working and the other not so much.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"