I need a automatic & manual inflating life vest / jacket. USCG rated type V

Started by bassangler22, April 28, 2019, 08:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassangler22

Under $ 100.   Any brands or models known to be not what you would buy ?

I weigh 215 pounds.  Would like those suspenders type. OR  I have seen the belt types starting to be advertised.  Anyyes or no on them ?

Thank you.

SteelHorseCowboy

Onyx A/M 24 is what my wife and I use, $90. Some reviews say they're too sensitive, but I haven't had that issue.
If you want to go about $20 over your budget, Mustang gets great reviews.
You can get these at Academy or may find them cheaper at another online retailer.

Beware, Bass Pro sells the Onyx too, but they charge a little extra for the pretty "Bass Pro Shops" embroidering.

By the way, I weigh 260-270, depending on the day of the week it seems.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on April 28, 2019, 09:53:46 PM
Onyx A/M 24 is what my wife and I use, $90. Some reviews say they're too sensitive, but I haven't had that issue.
If you want to go about $20 over your budget, Mustang gets great reviews.
You can get these at Academy or may find them cheaper at another online retailer.

Beware, Bass Pro sells the Onyx too, but they charge a little extra for the pretty "Bass Pro Shops" embroidering.

By the way, I weigh 260-270, depending on the day of the week it seems.

I agree with SHC, the Onyx and BPS are great. BPS puts them on sale a couple times a year for $79.  I've fished in all kinds of rain without them deploying. The only time I've had one deploy by accident is when while they were still wet, I stowed them in one of my boat's lockers. The moisture built up in the closed locker and caused one to deploy.

The re-arming kits cost about $25 and you should install a new re-arming kit every 2 years.  There's a replace date on the cartridges themselves.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

bassangler22

Thank you both for being so fast & helpful.  I use a 16' Lowe Aluminum open fishboat with NO water tight compartments. So I will need to get a gasketed storage box for the Jacket to stay dry enough.

Just remembered. I DO GET CAUGHT in rain down pours . Very open waters of good size.  Am I out of luck with the water tablet going off without notice as I move around in the rain ?

Are there type V  regular  foam jackets in white or Yellow colors ?  They should be cooler on still days ?

SteelHorseCowboy

You can always store it in your vehicle. When you stop and think about it, your pfd shouldn't come off your body until you're out of the boat and on dry land anyway!

As far as rain setting it off, I just don't know. The product description says you can remove the automatic function on the Onyx, but I'm not sure I would want to. If I leave a boat unexpectedly, I'd expect there to be at least a chance of injury, possibly an injury that could prevent me from manually inflating the vest.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Ice Cold Peanuts

I recently bought 2 of the Onyx PDF's and fished in a deluge at Bull Shoal since. No problems.
2004 Ranger Camache, Yamaha 150. Guess who thinks he's pretty cool now?

Princeton_Man

ICP is correct, they won't deploy because you're fishing in rain.

I have fished in a LOT of rain. Now, if they are wet and you stow them in a sealed box or locker they will. You should hang them somewhere to dry before stowing.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

The originals had the problem of self deployment in the rain but that issue has been addressed. Check out your local BPS, they have several different products in different price ranges. Be sure you get the correct size.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

bassangler22

I like steel Horse Cowboy logic of wearing it all the time. I have a Defirolater & Pacemaker in my chest to keep the heart running.  This is why I am being so picky about automatic jackets.  I just do not know anything about them.

Love this site & all of you helping me on this problem.

Rich

SteelHorseCowboy

They really are the way to go. I wouldn't say they're so comfortable they're unnoticeable, but they're comfortable enough that I can fish all day from my kayak with one and not be a crybaby about it.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk