saturday boating accident

Started by bassindago, September 15, 2009, 12:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassindago

This should be a reminder to all who spend time on the water. This was a true accident that was caused by one of the many inherent dangers that go along with recreational boating. This could happen any where of course but the odds increase on tidal or river systems like the Pascagoula. There was debris floating every where Saturday due to the extremely high tide. Johnny and Curtis were heading to another spot to fish under I-10, luckily they weren't going far and were not at full speed. They hit a log that was floating at water level. The boat hooked to the left and was heading directly for the pilings under the bridge. Johnny was able to jump out of the boat but Curtis was ejected on impact. Some how, Curtis avoided contact with any pilings and suffered a cut on his face and others bruises. They were extremely lucky to avoid other serious injury. Please be careful when on the water, our enjoyment can turn into tragedy in the blink of any eye......  luckily in this case everything can be replaced!!
please remember to wear your life jackets this was two people from our club.

Camden

glad they are both ok. you should always be on the look out for anything and everything that could happen and always wear a life jacket.

Mike Cork

Wow, that was a hit. Glad they are safe with only minor issues, the boat can be replaced. Thanks for posting this, it's always a great reminder when folks share this kind of info.

Keep your head about you, these boats we drive are dangerous and we get complacent when nothing happens to us over time. But as you said it only takes a blink of an eye and all can be lost.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

spetro

A visit to the Boat Safety forum is in order...

Ya know....I teach boat safety courses.  In my courses I state (usually salt water boaters) The sea wants to kill ya!  The water you cant drink.  The water temp will kill ya, if its not just right.  Her fish will eat you. The sun will cook you /freeze you.  Her waves will swamp You.  Currents will sweep you away be it in a boat or swimming. 

Never...Never....Never think this stuff is fluff.  Once your butt  gets near water...your chances of dying goes up....big time.  Mix buzz drinks multiply that times three... If you are one of those people that thinks life jacket are for sissies....

The Coast Guard never pulled a dead body from the bottom, that had a life jacket on!!!!! 8) 8) 8) ~shade

Johnmccutchan

Hey Bassindago do you happen to have a copy of those photos. I would like to show our club next meeting?

I wear my lifejacket at all times. Guys sometimes laugh when were not tournament fishing and I'm wearing it. I dont care because anything can happen. Doesnt matter how fast or slow you are going! It only takes a split second
Good Luck and Fish Hard...

SCTFLASH.COM, Carrot Stix Rods
Costa Del Mar, EcoSteam,Gitem Baits ,
ADP Surfaces, Alexander Morgan Tile,

-Bryan-

my boat doesn't move if everyone isn't wearing a life jacket...it's just not worth taking the chance.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...