Another stupid question

Started by jeffturner92, February 05, 2021, 02:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffturner92

I fish left handed with my spinning gear and I have been thinking of trying a left handed bait caster versus my right handed bait casters. Should I try maybe buying another black max LH bait caster first before I plunge the money out for a more expensive LH bait caster. I am going to start investing in some better fishing gear.

kdubracing

There are really two ways to look at it. You could get a really cheap LH reel just to try and see if you like it. If not, you aren't out much money.
Or, the idea I like better if you're already wanting to upgrade reels, is just get the reel you want in LH. If you don't like it, a better quality reel will be easy to sell and not lose much money out of it if it's very lightly used. If you do like it, you have the reel you want anyway.

WTodd

Yeah go cheap and see if you can do it; I tried and couldn't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: kdubracing on February 05, 2021, 02:31:43 PM
Or, the idea I like better if you're already wanting to upgrade reels, is just get the reel you want in LH. If you don't like it, a better quality reel will be easy to sell and not lose much money out of it if it's very lightly used. If you do like it, you have the reel you want anyway.

X2 on this.

The other thing to consider is that cheaper (made) reels often don't perform as well as something a bit more well made. This could affect your overall impression in a negative way.

If you are willing to go around $100 there are a lot of good options. BPS Pro Qualifier, Daiwa Fuego, Several Lew's reels. They're out there and often on sle if you search a bit.

Just my $.02

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Deadeye

I tried it. Didn't like it. Just borrowed a friends outfit. Took about 15-30 minutes to tell me it wasn't for me.

Glad I didn't spend good money for something I'd never use

WTodd

Smallie......how the reel performs is irrelevant at least for me. It came down to execution....casting was fine but "fishing" the bait & especially setting the hook I couldn't do good enough.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: WTodd on February 05, 2021, 03:38:32 PM
Smallie......how the reel performs is irrelevant at least for me. It came down to execution....casting was fine but "fishing" the bait & especially setting the hook I couldn't do good enough.

I can for sure understand this. Used to be I could cast and fish equally well from either side but I just couldn't get a decent hookset with my left arm.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Princeton_Man

Many tackle retailers will let you return /exchange if you're not satisfied. I don't remember who, but at least one retailer used to have a demo reel program.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club