2005 Annual UBCS Tournament

Started by Jared LeBlue, October 03, 2004, 02:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared LeBlue

Ok guy and gals we have made a decision on who will host the next UBCS. We have also decided on how the host will be picked from here on out.

This years host will be the champions from the first annual UBCS, The Twin Cities Team Club.
Here's how it will work from now on. The champion of the tournament will host the following tournament, unless the champion was the previous champion, then it will be put to a draw. We will take the names of evryone fishing and draw from them. The club from which the member that is drawn is associated with will host the next UBCS.

Here is the challenge: Get as many members to participate, this will give you two ways to have a better chance to host the next event. The first is the more people you have fishing the better cahnce you have at winning the championship. The second is if it comes to a draw then you will have more people in it to give your club a better chance at getting picked.

This also means you can not host the next year UBCS unless your club participated in the last one. Basically what it boils down to is if you want to host you have to participate. We encourage your club to send as many members as possible so that you may have a chance to host this event.

On a final note I for one want to see this event grow and move around, so it's up to you to get as many people from your club involved on the site so that they can get excited about this tournament and participate in the next event. Like I said before, the more you have from your club the better the chances of bringing it to your state.

Ardent Prostaff

DundeeMike

Ok, I guess the Northern boys and Girls need to come down and whip some butt. When do you plan to give a date and place? For us up north, we need to know asap, so we can put in for vacation, line up sponsors to help with expenses. I already talked to several of my club members, and the way it looks, we will be there. After you get the date and place, you need to have a web page devoted to the tourney, like I said in a previous post. My sponsors want to see something in writing, so the page should be a registration type format, and then it can be printed[adobe pdf would work]. So, let's get rolling on this thing!!!

MotherNature

Dundee~

you are now my official hero!!! I am working on the main page right now and hope to have it complete by the end of the week. We are still talking about the date and once Rattle and I have had a chance to talk about that some more I will post it as well. This morning on our way to our tournament we talked about the pdf file and I think that would work the best for all. Like I said before I want this to be to a planning stage by the end of the month so that everyone has plenty of time to plan for time off, kids, family, reservations, and all those other things that go with trying to put on the trounament and get everyone to it ;)

Look for the new page to be up in the main site by the end of the comming week and for there to be a date by then or shortly after. I will post a link here to the main tournament page as soon as it is done.

Laurie

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

Jared LeBlue

Dundee I'm looking forward to meeting yall. Of course we are going to have to redeem ourselves and win this one but I'm really hoping for yall to get the draw so we can fish up there next year. lo lo
Ardent Prostaff

Mike Noble

Dundee, that is awesome that "you guys" (isn't that yankee talk) will be coming down.  And Rattle, y'all come on up.  We will do our best to have a great tournament.
Life is a B........each!

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - e-reader

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - paperback

Ask me about PROTANDIM

Jared LeBlue

Oh, we will be there, we have to take that trophy to it's proper home.
Ardent Prostaff

bocraw

Sounds excellent to me.  I can't wait to hear when and where I'll be fishing in 2005.  Nice work on making a quick (but not hasty) decision.

DundeeMike

Laurie, A suggestion for you. When doing the tournament page, save a place on it for "clubs registered". You can list the clubs that registered to fish the tourney. This will help the clubs that are canvasing for sponsorship, and the clubs can give their prospective sponsors a printed copy of the tournament page. Seeing the club name down in black and white, will help their cause. Also I think it would help to present to the club members, the details of the tourney. I know I will take a copy to my club meeting, and use it as a recruiting tool....Just another thought for you to consider.

BIG PAPA

Dundee we are so glad to have you and your team coming down.
But remember
THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN 

PAPA 8)

MotherNature

Bo, I will get everything as quickly as possible ;) I am already excited about the 2005 tournament cause it means that we get to see all of our friends again  :)

Dundee, I think that is a great idea. You are going to have to give us some pointers on how clubs can start their search for sponsers. Keep in mind that this is a live website and what I create is usually created live so you can see it as it is done... what I am getting at is that most of the time if you find say a typo  :-\ of course I am a great speller and you shouldn't find any of those here  lo but say if you did then you could PM me and I could change it live and it would be done. So what I am getting at  ::) is that when I creat the tournament page, if you think of something that we should add to it and I happen to agree with you  ;) it can be changed in seconds... welll ok minutes 8)

I am sure that there will be a rough draft available for editorial comments prior to going with a final copy....  ;D

Notes:
Host Determination Policy - complete (ahead of schedlue ;) )
Tournament Date Decision - necessary by October 15th
Club to Submit Lake Choice and alternate for approval - No later than October 22
All final by October 29th

BIG PAPA

Ultimatebass.com Held the first Annual Bass club shootout last week end on the Calcasieu (cal-ca-shu) near Lake Charles, Louisiana. Although this one was small we had a great tourney and A lot of fun. This first Tourney was won by The Twin cities Team Club out of Shreveport, Bossier city Louisiana. As the champions The winning club will host the tourney next year. As of now we have a tentative date in late June, and probably somewhere in the area of North La. Mississippi or East Tex. Or southern Ark. We have the intention of making this tourney National with regionals and a national Club championship. If you are interested go to Ultimatebass.com on the forum and ask any questions you may have, someone will be available to answer your questions. Come look , we think that we may have hit on a great idea for the club fishermen.

I posted this on the Gary Yammamota forum, :-*  we all need to post on other forums that we frequent :help:
papa 8)
Have I mentioned I LOVE SPELL CHECK :-[

MotherNature

Papa you have the best ideas  :-* Thank you for posting that on his board. If I could I would buy every billboard on every highway and post an invitation to the UBCS and what you did was just as effective as any billboard that I could think of  ;D

Mother Nature

Jared LeBlue

Ok everybody we need your opinions or suggestions. We want everyone on the forum to be able to participate in the UBCS. Do you think we should keep it the way it was the first time by allowing a member who is not representing a club to be an honorary member of one of the clubs participating, or should we change it to where that member can fish for the team trophies but not be associated with any of the clubs. Basically their weight wouldn't go to any club but they could win in the team event.

Tell us what you think? If you have another idea please feel free to post it.
Ardent Prostaff

MotherNature

I just want to add my 2 cents also. After thinking about this I thought it might be possible to keep the honerary team member thing going since we had so much fun with Bo and Ricky's teams as part of our club team. What if we assign them to be honerary members but just dont count their weight toward the club total.

I really like the fact that the more members you have present the more chance you ahve of winning. I also liked having the honerary members being a part of things. I dont want to punish them just because they don't choose to be a member of a club.

I would also like the clubs to win on their own merrit... If it had not been for the help of Ricky and Bo's teams we (TCTC) maynot have been able to win. Their prefishing and water elimination as well as fish caught were vital to our winning.

Just my 2 cents

MotherNature

Dundeeeeeee would you be so kind as to let me know what things will make the flyer more beneficial. I am accustomed to creating fliers for attracting people to fish but not with catching the sponsor. Here is what I have so far -

Things to go on flyer:
UBCS
Date
Place water state
Host club - so that they know it is possible to have the tourny in their neck of the woods next year
clubs registered along with state
entry fee and big fish option

Mother Nature

Rickoos

As of last night, we are new members of the Twin City Team Club, so move over a little bit and let us play too! lo lo lo lo lo lo

The fun and friendship that we had at the annual was great and we don't know of no where else on earth that new people can be treated so well, so we can only want to be part of your club & group! I think Mike Noble, that's Mr. Nitro to Ranger, signed us on the dotted line last night, so maybe we will be able to trailer up and fish the Nov. tournment with ya'll.

Ricky
sponsors:
American Bass Angler Pro Staff, R & M Tackle, K & M Custom Rods, Secret Weapon Lures,Vicious Fishing Tournament Team, Driftwood Lures,  Fish Hedz/Save Phace,

Wildcat26

I said earlier I would hate to turn anyone away. However, since the purpose of the tournament is to have teams compete against each other I now believe one should be in a club that is on the board to fish.  Otherwise we are just sponsoring an open tournament.  If someone really wants to fish the tournament they can join a one for the clubs. If someone from Calif. wants to fish the tournament let him pay his dues to a club fishing the tourney and fish.

DundeeMike

Laurie, here is a couple of things that will help in canvasing for sponsors.
  I think you need to add either "Regional" or" Interstate" to the Flyer title, of course "annual". This may help to get some bigger guns, but the local businesses will eat it up also. If PJ Lures is sponsoring , put them on the flyer as a sponsor. You can add the sponsors as they come aboard. Just get the members who recuit sponsors to let you know , so you can put them on the flyer, and set up a link to them on the tourney page. I will have some more thoughts on this, and as they come to my old run down brain, I will send them to you.

DundeeMike

Wildcat, I disagree with you. I think that any member of UB that wants to fish ,should be able to. This is how it can be done. The members could be honorary members of the clubs that are fishing the tourney. The main thing here is to have everyone pre register, for a head count . The members that are not in a club, can fish with the clubs that need more fisherman to level out the playing field.They can be paired up with a random draw the morning of the tourney. And their fish should count, towards the club's weight that they are honorary members of. This way everyone is part of the excitement of the tourney. It would not be fair for someone to come down and fish, and their weight not count. This can be refined, it is a rough thought.....

bocraw

Rattle, you have to be careful asking for opinions, because I'll always give mine.  I think that "orphaned" participants should be able to be honorary members of other clubs.  I think the way we did it this year is the way to go. 

One of the things that is so fun about fishing new water is that it is fun to try to find an effective pattern.  I approach it like a puzzle that needs to be solved.  The whole time you are on the water you are looking for clues that will help you unlock the puzzle.  In a normal tournament each boat is on it's own as far as figuring out the puzzle.  In the UBCS, for a pleasant change, the members of the club can actually openly talk about what worked and what didn't and work together to find an effective pattern.  That is a refreshing change!  And that is the reason I'm so jazzed about making this tournament an annual tradition. 

For this reason, I really don't care about the individual competition of the tournament. The part I'm interested in the teamwork involved with the club vs club part of the tournament.  I really don't think the tournament would be fun for someone who isn't part of the club competition.

By its nature, the way this thing is going to work is that the clubs with the closest proximity to the tournament should have a larger turnout than those who have to travel far.  So this is going to lead to the example I gave earlier where there will be a situation where 20 boats vs. 10 boats vs. 3 boats.  I think allowing the orphans to become honorary members of clubs who are short on members is the way to go.  It helps the underdog but does not tip the scales in their favor and take away home field advantage. 

I do think the decision on how to distribute the orphans should be left up to the tournament director, not the participants.  Basically, if you show up as an orphan you should know that you are going to be put on the sorriest team.  But being the biggest underdog is fun too.

Now I'm curious...Did ya'll ever post the results of the tournament?  Would Twin City have won without our help? 

MotherNature

Bo you know that your opinion is always welcome on this site as well at those of others that are here. That is my policy and yes sometimes it comes back to bite me in the hinny because I asked for the advice and got something I didn't want to hear but that is what makes this site so unique.

How many other places do you go online that welcome your input? A tips board was requested and we added it, more states were asked for and now we have then (and you all) and a tournament was asked for and we have it all because members like you have suggested it.

I am working on the page for the tournament results and it will be up soon, I think I posted this but for checks and balances, no I don't think that we would have won without the help of you and Ricky's teams.

Laurie

MotherNature

Dundee, I think you will like what I have in store for the sponsors and I think it might help a little more than just having them on the flyer ;)

I am actually almost done with the framework so I think that Friday you will see a whole new area of the site dedicated to the annual tournament. I will keep in mind everything that you tell me ... I love new ideas  ;D

Mike Cork

First let me say that I actually do not make the final decisions around here but I do have an influence ;)

Orphaned Teams? I like the idea that anyone from the Forum can fish. I would hate to exclude someone that either wasn't part of a club or their club didn't want to participate for what ever reasons. I must say that it worked out very well with the Team Ricky and Team Bo being assigned to TCTC as we could only scratch three teams do to unexpected and uncontrollable issues.

WildCat I understand your position but, do you think that folks would pay a membership on top of the rest of the costs that will go along with fishing this event? I don't know maybe if they wanted to bad enough. But with the travel involved and time off required I think we will always have a couple orphaned teams.

Now putting them with other teams that have only a couple teams seems like to me a great idea. The camaraderie that it creates is excellent. Bo and Ricky fell right in and it was a blast. I understand where Bo is coming from in the team vs team formant it was a lot of fun putting the puzzle together with everyones help. Meeting up threw out the day and discussing game plans, sharing info, and creating strategy all becomes part of the game adding to the fun.

One thing I do think though is that if the host of the next event were to come to a draw, unfortunately the orphaned teams names would have to stay out of the hat. If their club could not represent then they shouldn't get a shot at hosting the next tournament nor should there name count to wards the club they fished with, because part of the draw is to get as many members from YOUR club in the hat and they have to be present to go into the hat.

But with all that said I think the Tournament should welcome them with open arms and make them honorary members of clubs to even the fishing Field. Just my thoughts

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

MotherNature

I had to go back and read the posts again cause I was a little confused. I dont think that we will ever be having just and open tournament and the one thing that will keep this from being that is that there is no money to be gained by winning first place. So far this is all for braggin rights. I would assume that in the future that there might be some money to be gained by winning but for the next few years at least it will all be for braggin rights.

I almost hate to see anything but Big Bass paid out. I know that it was mentioned to raise the fees but I am not sure if that was for clubs to raise fees for their tournaments so they could put money aside for travel or if it was UBCS to raise fees.

This is another whole ball of wax here and it is not the priority right now. We need to figure out what to do about individual teams that are active board members and want to participate in the event.

Jared LeBlue

Bo, I want everyone to be invoved and everyones opinion is welcomed here, if it wasn't I wouldn't ask. As the events captain I have to play devils advocate on everything to make sure we work out all the kinks, or most of them. I would have to agree that putting the ophans, as you put it, on a team so they can compete and feel like a part of a team is a great idea. I think they can also get some great information about clubs if they fish as a part of one. I think our last tournament was a great success for many reasons and one of them is Twin Cities just recruited two new members, Ricky and his wife. It was a win win situation for both the club and the couple. We must always remember that this was set up so that everyone on the forum has a chance to meet face to face and fish a friendly competition. As long as we keep that in mind and let that be the leading guide lines then this tournament will continue to grow and be a great success.

Thanks for the input and as always anybody's opinion is welcome.
Ardent Prostaff