VMC Crossover Rings Feedback

Started by Bud Kennedy, July 05, 2021, 12:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

A while ago a member recommended the use of the VMC Crossover rings when doing a ned rig or a more conventional wacky rig.  VMC offers a tool to make inserting the bait into the ring or saddle.  Well here is my overall story about the initial use of this product.  The tool arrived immediately but the different size rings were in a backorder status with many vendors.  The tool however came with some clear 6cm rings so at least I could give these a try.  Now considering that I normally T Rig and often am throwing a trick worm my choices might be quite different than the normal senko style baits. 

The saddle itself is very nice and the method of inserting the hok through the saddle is quite nice.  I used a weedless wacky set up for this first use.  Using the 6cm product I rigged up a trick worm that as you know is a tad smaller in diameter than a senko and the over all length (6.5") is tapered from end to end as being thicker on one end vs the ther.    Since I only has the #6 size the bait was not as tight in the saddle as needed and this allowed the fish to hit the worm and run off with it by pulling it out of the saddle.  Since  this use my  #5 saddles arrived and they do a much better job and the bait does not slip.  The #6 and #7 worked great for senko size and larger and not problems with bait loss on them.  The trd ned set up was equally as good using the 6 or 7.

So the deal works ok and is very nice especially the way it keeps the hook in place.  I am not convinced this is the next big thing but it is ok and a very neat method for using this style of presentation.  I do acknowledge that they will really squeeze a bait tight and the tool helps rigging this bait quite a bit

I still think this system is a bit expensive for what it is and in many cases not sure it is much of an improvement over your current wacky rigging practice.  I do believe it will allow you to keep a bait in play through multiple fish if you use the correct size saddle or ring or whatever you want to call these things.  All I can say is that we caught fish.  Ability to feel the bait on your line was not impacted.  If anything because of the way the hook is inserted the feel might be improved. 

So that is my initial story and I will use this system but at this time not sure I will continue using once the saddles have been used up.  Will depend on future performance I guess.

Bassinkorea

Did you take any photos of the tools and process?

I have just received the Arsenal wacky tool (pliers) and 5mm, 6mm, 7mm sleeves in the mail a few days ago and will be putting them to the test next weekend. I'd be interested to see if the VMC and Arsenal items are similar.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Bud Kennedy

I did not take any pics but have attached a video from ICAST showing the tool etc.  Hope this helps.  Pretty simple and they do work exactly like the video is showing.

Smallie_Stalker

It's an interesting idea and I can see how it could save some time wacky rigging. The drawback I see with it, at least for me is that you can only run the hook perpendicular to the worm (unless I'm missing something).

That's fine for wacky rigs but when I Neko rig I run the hook parallel to the length of the worm. It doesn't appear that is possible with the rings I am seeing that they sell.

Sent from my One Plus 9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Bud Kennedy

Smallie, you can run the hook both ways.  Kinda where the crossover name comes from it has holes aligned for wacky and a hole for ned.  You can do both with this rig.  RB-NC did a post a short while ago that I believe also discussed this.

Bassinkorea

The VMC version is much the same as the Arsenal version I bought. Only difference is the little storage compartments on the VMC version, which I like the look of.

Smallie, I believe you could position the hook any way you like. If you want it perpendicular then put the hook through the sleeve and worm as if the sleeve wasn't there, or put the hook under the sleeve like you would with an o-ring.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Bud Kennedy

Smallie here is a copy of some text describing the crossover ring.  Note rigging parallel or perpendicular. 

VMC Crossover Rings offer anglers multiple rigging options. Ideal for both Wacky and Neko rigs in one simple ring! Made for use with the VMC Crossover Pliers (sold separately), the dual-channel hood allows for hook placement both parallel and perpendicular to the bait, meaning your hook will always be in the right spot to maximize your hookup percentage and the action of your bait. Available in Clear, Green Pumpkin, and Black, and in sizes of 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 mm to fit a wide variety of soft plastic baits. 4mm size fits thin Finesse Worms, 5mm size fits standard Trick Worms or Finesse Worms; 6mm size fits Fat Finesse Worms or smaller Stick Worms; 7mm size fits standard size Stick Worms; 8mm size fits fat or oversized Stick Worms. General size reference may vary based on differences in size of similar worms between manufacturers. 10 rings per pack.

Bud Kennedy

A while ago RB-NC recommended using owner 3/0 Jungle Weedless hooks.  I did and they worked fine and fit really good with the holes in the saddle the bait was nice and stable and not flopping around and could be positioned anywhere along the bend of the hook.

Smallie_Stalker

Thanks for that info. Bud. I may have to give this a look. Might make things easier with the tremors getting worse.

Sent from my One Plus 9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

rb-nc

Guys if you don't mind I'd like to chime in on this. I love the VMC one. A Senko is my number one used bait. Two rigged up all the time, one weightless one nail weighted. Mostly use the size 5 VMC o-ring, but have found that depending one weight I'm using and believe it or not weather conditions means I might have to go up or down in size. The one thing I have found is the size is misleading. Being that the VMS rings are made of a different thickness of rubber than a true oring, therefore they don't "grip" the Senko the same. I'm 60 now and while I don't fish as fast as I used to, wasted time on the water, ticks me off. Before using a standard o-ring I had to have a small box with o-rings, pliers, bag of Senkos out on the deck or have to get down and open lids to get everything. Now I have the VMC pliers, which has two small compartments to hold rings of two different sizes, and a bag of Senkos. I keep them in my pocket and never have to leave the trolling motor or back deck. My best day so far has been 17 fish on one Senko before it broke into. We now have two sets. One stays in the Ranger and one stays in Robert's travel bag that he takes in the jon boat fishing rivers. And when you are going down a river you don't want to have to leave the trolling motor

Esox obsessed

I'd be interested to see how they compare to mustad's saddles

chrisD46

*After much use by readers , various reviews , etc. it appears the VMC Cross Over Rings are better IF you go down one size for soft stick worms : For a Senko 5" try the VMC Crossover 6mm size instead of the recommended VMC Crossover size 7mm . For a Yum Dinger 5" use the VMC Crossover 5mm size instead of the recommended VMC Crossover size 6mm . Trick Worms & Finesse Worms (5mm & 4mm) seem to work as recommended - perhaps because they are a little lighter in weight than Senkos .

skidemn

I'll do you all one better. Don't buy wacky rig rigs and plier when you can save a TON of money this way. I bought a lifetime supply of "rings" with the pliers for cheap as explained here.

https://www.m3outdoors.com/post/diy-wacky-rig-neko-rig-sleeves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk