Bass Fishing Techniques and those AHA Moments.

Started by Capt. BassinLou, June 24, 2023, 09:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

As seasoned bass fishing anglers, we have learned multiple bass fishing techniques and presentations over the years. But out of all those techniques, how many were AHA moments  :-*

I recently had an AHA moment with an old school technique. I was fishing with another seasoned angler who is proficient at throwing this specific technique, and after careful observations and a lot of questions, I had an "AHA" moment.  :-*  :-*   The technique clicked in my fishing brain.

Now I see this technique  through a different lens, and look forward to implementing it whenever the situation calls for it. 

Oh, and before I forget, the technique I had this experience with was the C-rig.

What techniques or presentations have you had AHA moments with?   

Smallie_Stalker

I've had a few. One of the most simple was a long time ago when I first started "counting down" non-surface lures. It changed the way I fished so many baits.

My first real AHA moment with it was fishing a jig on the outside leafy limbs of a tree.  My jig had been taking a count of 11 to hit bottom. I made the next pitch and it stopped at 8. I didn't feel the bite and the line didn't move off it just went mushy. At first I thought the jig broke off so I grabbed the line to put some tension on it and turned my reel handle while lifting the rod. Then I felt the weight of the fish and it headed for the mess of tree limbs.

I managed to get it turned quick enough and brought her in. A little under 3.5 lbs.

I actually had several AHA moments from that single experience.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Larry Francis

The Drop Shot for me was an AHA moment. But now this is a standby and always tied on.

Still waiting for an AHA moment for the Swim Bait. Everyone talks about swim baits but I seldomly catch fish on them. Maybe someday AHA will happen.
Molon Labe

FlatsNBay

For me, I try and learn a new technique until I have an ah ha moment. It's then when everything starts coming together and making sense. I push myself to become better and learning about every technique so I (hopefully) have lots of ah ha moments. It's a never ending process!

skidemn

Quote from: Larry Francis on June 25, 2023, 05:40:04 AMThe Drop Shot for me was an AHA moment. But now this is a standby and always tied on.

Still waiting for an AHA moment for the Swim Bait. Everyone talks about swim baits but I seldomly catch fish on them. Maybe someday AHA will happen.
I had my aha moment with big swimbaits fishing the Magdraft for the first time this year. I just committed to throwing it and when I found the proper retrieve speed it was like, "Aha, I wish I had done this sooner!" The big swimbait bite is so awesome, especially in clear water, it is addicting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry Francis

Quote from: skidemn on June 25, 2023, 03:08:00 PM
Quote from: Larry Francis on June 25, 2023, 05:40:04 AMThe Drop Shot for me was an AHA moment. But now this is a standby and always tied on.

I had my aha moment with big swimbaits fishing the Magdraft for the first time this year. I just committed to throwing it and when I found the proper retrieve speed it was like, "Aha, I wish I had done this sooner!" The big swimbait bite is so awesome, especially in clear water, it is addicting!

So what's the trick? Do tell.
Molon Labe

skidemn

Quote from: Larry Francis on June 26, 2023, 05:15:17 AM
Quote from: skidemn on June 25, 2023, 03:08:00 PM
Quote from: Larry Francis on June 25, 2023, 05:40:04 AMStill waiting for an AHA moment for the Swim Bait. Everyone talks about swim baits but I seldomly catch fish on them. Maybe someday AHA will happen.

So what's the trick? Do tell.

The retrieve speed IS the trick and more specifically a varied retrieve speed that takes into account boat/current speed versus bait position, when fishing the Magdraft and other big swims like the Bass Mafia Daingerous Swimbait. This is because the Magdraft especially is prone to blowing out on the retrieve and turning on its side or even belly when pulled too fast. Since you can't see your bait far away you need to work on cadence and feedback (thumping feel) from the bait which will tell you if it's running too slow, and usually too fast as well.

To get the proper cadence you need to make several short casts near the boat where you can see your bait as you wind it, then when it is swimming correctly with that big body wobble, head wobble and tail thump, remember that feel coming back from the bait. You will need to do this several times in different water conditions to actually learn it, because throwing in front of the boat at different troll motor speeds will have you speeding up the retrieve to get the bait moving correctly, and as the boat drifts past your casting target you will need to slow it down because you now have the boat pulling it on top of your retrieve, potentially causing it to blow out. This becomes even more difficult when fishing in current, as it means you often have to vary your retrieve speed from fast to slow over the entire length of your cast when either the current is moving fast and the boat is still, or the boat is drifting in the faster current and you are throwing toward the bank where the current moves slower.

It's also important to note that how you rig the bait will also affect how you retrieve it, with a line-through rigging often requiring a slower speed than a weighted beast hook or giant lead head rigging. Once you get the feel down, you will have a much better shot at getting that big bite! I should also mention that this is one area where it's easier to have a slow gear ratio reel and speed up when needed than it is to have too fast a reel and barely move the handle.