The Hover Rig.

Started by Larry Francis, August 29, 2023, 09:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Francis

This is new for me and I have been working heavily with this my last couple outings.

There are many soft plastics that can be used on this rig but so far, I have just used a Fluke. This presentation has seemed to outproduce other options on days that were kinda tough. Yesterday I had 9 fish on this rig and Carl had 3 fishing a Senco. Trip before I had 5 and fished my go to worm rig with nothing. Needless to say, I am pretty excited about this new presentation.

It was created for the guys using the Livescope and many have had great success with it. I don't have livescope but wanted to see if it works well in general. This rig creates a very flat swim action on a fluke and crazy twitching action when retrieved. Just let it hit and fall, it will swim 5-10 yards away from the landing point. You can fish it and maintain a horizontal presentation through the water column. You cannot twitch it fast though and must slow way down. A You tubber said work it like walking the dog with a Zara Spook. THIS IS NOT TRUE. That is way to fast and the lure is just pulled into a bow and dragged. I do only loose line twitching and never actually hit the lure when I twitch, just move the line is enough to make it jerk. I also bought 1/16 and 1/8 oz versions. I have found I like the 1/8 best as the 1/16 is less feel and this rig drops so slow the weight is less important. I am throwing this on a medium action Baitcast rod with 14 pd Florocarbon and it works great that way. You will see in the picture they come with a weed guard, I break that off mine for a better hookup ratio. This is not a wood or heavy vegetation lure even with the weed guard. It will pull loose from weeds and work great around them but hard cover not so much with the open hook. Also it is vry important not to get the rig to far forward in the Fluke body as it will just turn it into a Texas Rig Fluke if you do. See my pic.

I will try other things on this rig in time but for now this is turning to one of my new favorites .

Tight Lines all.

Molon Labe

Capt. BassinLou

Interesting! Thank you for sharing, Larry!

Captsteve

I'll have to try it out

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Hobious

interesting.  i'm game.  i assume you can use a regular hook and bury a nail weight in the mid section.

FlatsNBay

I've been watching Matt Stefan's YouTube videos on the subject. He's making his own hover rig jigheads and is selling them. Pretty cool. Keep us posted.

Larry Francis

Quote from: Hobious on August 29, 2023, 12:18:20 PMinteresting.  i'm game.  i assume you can use a regular hook and bury a nail weight in the mid section.

I know guys have tried that and did not have the success says the make of course. the 90 degree hook does play a role in the action.
Molon Labe

Larry Francis

Quote from: FlatsNBay on August 29, 2023, 02:46:00 PMI've been watching Matt Stefan's YouTube videos on the subject. He's making his own hover rig jigheads and is selling them. Pretty cool. Keep us posted.

Edwin Evers is too and has 3 videos out on it.
Molon Labe

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Larry Francis on August 29, 2023, 04:06:01 PM
Quote from: Hobious on August 29, 2023, 12:18:20 PMinteresting.  i'm game.  i assume you can use a regular hook and bury a nail weight in the mid section.

I know guys have tried that and did not have the success says the make of course. the 90 degree hook does play a role in the action.
Larry is spot on. The 90 degree head will make a big difference in how the bait falls.

We used to bury nail weights in various parts of Sluggos and flukes to change the action. It also varied how they fell which I guess was part of the point. But at times it also interfered with the hook being able to correctly penetrate the plastic.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

chrisD46

Used the "drop dead" technique (search Strike King - Drop Dead ) which has been out awhile ... I use VMC Drop Dead specific hooks in 3/0 and 4/0 (mostly 3/32nd oz. weights) . Works great with Senko or Super Fluke soft plastics - I just cast out and let them fall on semi-slack line . https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/VMC_Drop_Dead_Weighted_Hook_4pk/descpage-VDDWH.html

bigjim5589

There's been a good bit of discussion in the various jig pouring/tackle making groups that I frequent, about these jigs.

If you use a nail weight, then use a 90 degree jig hook as the hook eye placement does have some importance for how they'll act.

It's even been suggested that a crimp on sinker or even multiple split shot can be added to a jig hook and get similar results, but not something that I've tried.

I think the weight in front has some bearing on the plastic baits action, and appears that is part of the horizontal fall, which is also important.

I know of some folks who have already or are now looking to have molds made for these jigs, so there should be more of them on the market soon and probably other designs.   
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Hobious

90 degree hook eye.  got it. 

skidemn

I use these Ryugi Hover Shot hooks and nail weights when needed because they tear up the bait much less than Matt Stefan's weighted hook.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Ryugi_Hover_Shot_Hook_5pk/descpage-RHSH.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk