Zoo Dog Lure from Snag Proof

Started by Capt. BassinLou, December 16, 2023, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

A couple of my subscribers, turned me on to this new lure from SnagProof. It's called the Zoo Dog and Zoo Pup. They are basically a hollow body spook style bait. The Zoo Pup is 3.5" long and the Zoo Dog is 4.5" long. Of course I had to order one of each to check them out!  lo 

Has anyone fished with them yet?

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on December 16, 2023, 10:38:53 AMA couple of my subscribers, turned me on to this new lure from SnagProof. It's called the Zoo Dog and Zoo Pup. They are basically a hollow body spook style bait. The Zoo Pup is 3.5" long and the Zoo Dog is 4.5" long. Of course I had to order one of each to check them out!  lo 

Has anyone fished with them yet?

I have seen this style before back in the 90's. I had some Mann's hollowbody Spook baits that caught me a decent amount of fish. They didn't have a tail like this one though.

They work really well when you throw them right on top of thick green stuff or in the lanes between. No fear of fouling trebles makes them a good option especially when the fish have seen a zillion frog lures. That different profile and sound created might just be enough to get them to commit.

Back then I had to use a rod with a moderate/fast tip and small diameter braid to get any real casting distance and control of the fish. With advances in both rod and line technology YMMV but I'm interested to see what you find.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

big g

Interesting bait for heavy cover.  Should work great in those huge pad fields.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

RangerAndBass

Yumm used to make a soft plastic spook shaped bait you Texas rigged.  I still have a few around. It's a great idea
Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!

FlatsNBay

I was looking at them at ICAST and was thinking that the hookup ratio would suffer because they are longer than a hollow bellied frog but still carry a single double hook. I guess if someone has trouble walking a frog, this one might help or be easier?

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FlatsNBay on December 17, 2023, 10:09:24 AMI was looking at them at ICAST and was thinking that the hookup ratio would suffer because they are longer than a hollow bellied frog but still carry a single double hook. I guess if someone has trouble walking a frog, this one might help or be easier?
We will find out about the hookup ratio soon enough. ;)

Capt. BassinLou

My Zoo Dogs arrived! I will provide my first impressions tomorrow. ;)

topdsm0138

Looks like it could be some real fun in shallow water.

Sent from undisclosed location. -Tiller Mafia

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

Capt. BassinLou

I had a chance to look over this Zoo Dog bait from Snag Proof with a little bit more  depth.

Before I dive into the details, these baits come in two sizes. The Zoo Dog, which  is 4.5"  long, and weighs 3/5oz. As well as the Zoo Pup, which is 3.5" long and weighs 1/2oz.

Zoo Dogs are basically shaped similar to a Spook, but they are hollow body in design.

Right off the bat, I can tell you the Zoo Dog is very pliable.

The rear hooks are sticky sharp and appear to be Owner hooks, but I can not confirm that yet.

The hooks are tucked snug against the ZooDog.

In the rear, you can easily see a drain port, as well as a shiny feather attached to an internal swivel. The counter balance weight is out of the way from the hooks.

Towards the head, the Zoo Dog's eyes stand out right away. They look realistic.

I'm looking forward to fishing this bait. I'm very curious about how it will hold up.

At a $9 price point, I hope it can handle the abuse.

I have 2 concerns right out of the gate. One I just mentioned in regards to fishing abuse, the second is its ability to hook bass effectively due to its narrow body.

I will make sure to keep you guys posted with my fishing findings.

Thanks for reading!

Capt. BassinLou

I fished the Zoo Dog for a bit yesterday. I didn't catch anything this time around but I did produce one strike, that resulted in a miss.

Here's what I like so far. The Zoo Dog walks nicely. As with the spook, you can walk it quickly, slowly, and slash it. The only difference is with a Zoo Dog, you can do everything I just mentioned inside of, or on top of  cover.

I was primarily fishing in pencil reeds yesterday, and I like how the Zoo Dog never got hung up inside the reeds.

As I mentioned, I did produce a nice strike, that resulted in a complete miss. Unfortunately, that was my one and only strike. I need to fish with this bait a lot more in order to determine my hook set concern, which I talked about on my initial review.

topdsm0138

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on December 21, 2023, 08:43:15 AM

I had a chance to look over this Zoo Dog bait from Snag Proof with a little bit more  depth.

Before I dive into the details, these baits come in two sizes. The Zoo Dog, which  is 4.5"  long, and weighs 3/5oz. As well as the Zoo Pup, which is 3.5" long and weighs 1/2oz.

Zoo Dogs are basically shaped similar to a Spook, but they are hollow body in design.

The rear hooks are sticky sharp and appear to be Owner hooks, but I can not confirm that yet.

In the rear, you can easily see a drain port, as well as a shiny feather attached to an internal swivel. The counter balance weight is out of the way from the hooks.

I'm looking forward to fishing this bait. I'm very curious about how it will hold up.

I have 2 concerns right out of the gate. One I just mentioned in regards to fishing abuse, the second is its ability to hook bass effectively due to its narrow body.

Thanks for reading!
Owner Hooks, same as their Scum Frog line of baits.

Gamakatsu hook points are perfectly round like bullets, and Mustads have that "beveled/knife like" edge on top of the hook.

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: topdsm0138 on December 25, 2023, 10:42:33 PM
Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on December 21, 2023, 08:43:15 AM

Thanks for reading!
Owner Hooks, same as their Scum Frog line of baits.

Gamakatsu hook points are perfectly round like bullets, and Mustads have that "beveled/knife like" edge on top of the hook.

Thanks! Appreciate the info. Gami's and Owner are my favorite hooks!