Hydration Tip

Started by Capt. BassinLou, June 16, 2019, 02:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Now that summer is in full swing for us here in South FL, the heat and humidity can be pretty bad on most days. Fishing under these conditions can/will effect your health if exposed for long periods of time especially if one does not hydrate properly. I'm guilty of hydrating too late under this conditions and have paid the price for it. I did however devise a way that helps me stay hydrated, and all one needs is their smart phone or a watch.

I simply program my phone/watch on a 1 hour timer. Upon hearing the chime, I know its time to drink and complete a 16oz water bottle. By the end of my outing I have a nice collection of water bottles I need to dispose of and recycle. Depending on the conditions, I can adjust my timer to fit my situation, and the reminders help, especially when your laser focused on fishing,  trust me.

Any ways.. hope the tip helps someone stay hydrated this summer.  :-*

Smallie_Stalker

Great idea Lou!  ~c~

Thanks for posting this.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Bud Kennedy

Interesting topic.  I tend not to drink a lot of water anytime.  More often I have had friends have a problem while fishing that turned out to be a dehydration deal.  I am curious just how much water should one be consuming during an outing.  We are not as hot as Florida this time of year but we are close.  With temps in the late mornings and early afternoons passing above 90 and mid afternoon in the upper 90s I am sure that I need to improve on this hydration requirement.

Oldfart9999

Great tip Lou!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bassinkorea

I was always guitly of not drinking enough water, period, but even more so when fishing. In the last year or so I make sure I drink at least 2 liters of water everyday, sometimes more that 3 liters.

This tip is a great reminder, thanks for posting Lou  ~c~
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Mike Cork

Bud you should be drinking 8 ounces every hour as a minimum.

We are actually hotter here in Louisiana than you in Florida Lou and this is a fantastic idea. I try and drink at least every hour but forget.

I had Laurie out this weekend and we got chatty and with the fishing, forgot to drink enough. About noon she realized she had stopped sweating (it was already mid 90's) and was starting to get a headache. We blew it... An alarm is a great idea, but of course you have to put the rod down and drink versus hit the button and say I'll get it in a minute :surrender:

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

zippyduck

Wow, so simple but how many of us are guilty of not taking the minute to drink.

Excellent tip!  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Mike Cork on June 17, 2019, 09:04:37 AM
Bud you should be drinking 8 ounces every hour as a minimum.

We are actually hotter here in Louisiana than you in Florida Lou and this is a fantastic idea. I try and drink at least every hour but forget.

I had Laurie out this weekend and we got chatty and with the fishing, forgot to drink enough. About noon she realized she had stopped sweating (it was already mid 90's) and was starting to get a headache. We blew it... An alarm is a great idea, but of course you have to put the rod down and drink versus hit the button and say I'll get it in a minute :surrender:

Mike, I know exactly what your talking about in having to put the rod down and drink. That is my same issue, especially when the bite is "on" like it was this past Saturday. The frog bite was insane!! Drinking water is the last thing I want to do at that moment.... but.... like I mentioned on my post, I have suffered the consequences way too many times. Headaches, blurred vision, lightheaded, etc... I have pushed through it to get that "bite" but each time this happens I'm really pressing my luck out there. The alarm idea really helped, don't get me wrong however.. I still took a 2 hour nap when I got home. The humidity was a  ^-^  ~sweat ~sweat lo

big g

Great idea Lou, with the alarm.  I often tell others I fish with to hydrate, but I am usually late getting started.  It is an easy thing to overlook especially if the bite is on.  Using an alarm to get started each morning is a good idea for me.  Don't forget to bring the pee jar, you will need it for sure!
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

SteveTX

I'm sure I don't drink enough water but I have this thing when I catch a fish I drink then. I take care of the fish first but after he is back in the lake I get me a drink before going back to fishing.

I guess on slow days that could be bad but I really do drink quite a bit even when I dont catch a lot. Usually have empty bottles in the boat as well.

Nutt

A good rule of thumb is to start hydrating before you start doing anything in the heat. Doesn't matter if its manual labor or fishing, etc.  Then, try to drink a bottle of water every 20-30 minutes.  Cold water gets into your system quicker.  Also, bring a bottle of Pedialite with you in case you forget to drink and start to get dehydrated.  :-*   
Doctor says I should stay away from other people.