Best split rings

Started by Esox obsessed, December 27, 2020, 08:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esox obsessed

What are the best split rings around

Fun4me

Owner Hyperwire and Spro Power split rings have been good for me.

Smallie_Stalker

I buy my split rings in bulk from places like Barlow's Tackle, Lure Parts Online, Jan's Netcraft and others.

You cen get just about any shape size and wire diameter strength made from ultralight wire for panfish to 4X heavy stainless steel for toothy and salty critters. I usually comparison shop to see who has the best price on what I'm looking to buy.

If you spend some time digging you can find good quality rings at a great price. 

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Esox obsessed

I just want to know who makes the best of the best

bigjim5589

I used to buy them in bulk too, from the Terminal Tackle Co, but they're no longer in business. I don't know who made them, and I often got various sizes and the "HD" rings which were a heavier wire version in a given size. I use them mostly for larger lures, for Striped Bass, which are similar in size to Muskie or Pike lures.

I've also bought them from Worth Manufacturing, who makes them and various lure components. Wolverine brand is very good, and are used by many lure companies that make Muskie lures.

IMO, it really does depend on the size and use. Some lures that I've bought, particularly crankbaits, the split rings were too small, so I replaced them with the HD rings in a larger size. The lure companies don't necessarily size them properly, and you may see different size rings on the same model lures. That's often for cost cutting.

Spro & Sampo and American Fishing Wire, all produce very good split rings.

I've mentioned this before, that Worth makes an oval split ring, which is what I prefer for the line tie on lures. I don't use them for hanging hooks. They call them X2 rings, and they're a zinc plated, magnesium alloy. They're lighter and stronger than similar size stainless rings, and they don't usually deform when installing them like stainless rings can do. A deformed ring is a weakened ring. I like them they provide a larger diameter to tie line to, that the wire on the lure, and a free movement to the lure.

In the past, some lure companies, such as Rebel, and Rapala used copper plated spring steel rings instead of stainless. They're a lot stronger per size than stainless, but they will eventually rust. That's not a big deal since even stainless need replacing sometimes. For the strength factor, in freshwater, those would be what I would use if you can find them.

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Esox obsessed on December 27, 2020, 11:50:33 AM

These kinds of questions are very subjective. It's like asking who makes the best car, or to keep it fishing related, who makes the best crankbait.

Ten different people may give you ten different answers depending on what they believe to be the best, but their reason for choosing one over the other may be different from the next guy's reason.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. All anyone can do is give you their personal opinion and perhaps the reason for that opinion.

If there was only one (of ANYTHING) that everyone agreed was the "best of the best" as you say then that would be the only one sold because that would be the only one being bought.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Fun4me

Most of the people I trust use Owner Hyper/ultra split rings. Some of those people will only use Owners, so much so that hey will change out every bait with Owners before fishing them. These people are throwing $5 baits up to $500 baits. That's good enough for me.

I have used Owner and Spro and have never had a single failure of a split ring.

caddyjoe77

maybe try searching around too -- I think we have all given you some logical explanations.  It is mostly opinion based on a personal experience. 

BeerMe

Esox obsessed

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on December 28, 2020, 09:13:50 AM
maybe try searching around too -- I think we have all given you some logical explanations.  It is mostly opinion based on a personal experience.
Companies always say they make the best of the best
This is the way to get unbiased true answers
You get a bunch of answers you go with the one with the highest ratings and lowest price

caddyjoe77

Quote from: Esox obsessed on December 28, 2020, 09:17:31 AM
Companies always say they make the best of the best
This is the way to get unbiased true answers

You're mostly correct. not disagreeing.  Some might have sponsorships which is likely the same as the companies telling you. 

the point is, people have given you their opinions, which we both agree could be one of the best ways to get unbiased true answers. 

I am suggesting you do some searching, and correlate your searches with the data you collect and make your purchases based on that.  What works for some may not work for you. 

BeerMe

Esox obsessed

caddyjoe77

BeerMe

Oldfart9999

Do not buy Bass Pro rings.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.