Nolan Lake at Ft. Hood, TX 14 July 18

Started by Donald Garner, July 14, 2018, 11:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald Garner

Greetings

I made a 1/2 day trip over to Nolan Lake on Ft. Hood this morning.  The G3 was launched at 7am to clear skies and 78 dgrs.  The lake is right at 4-5ft below normal pool which made it hard to launch this morning.  Nolan lake doesn't have any launch ramps.  You just back down off the bank into the water.

For some reason the lake was muddy to stained.  The water temps ranged 82 - 86dgrs depending on your location on the water.  The wind was calm at launch but did increased to 10mph through out the morning from the South. 

I had to readjust my trolling motor up about 12inches as the lake is really low.  I didn't get to fish the whole lake due to the low water.  I fished the North bank line vic of the main creek channel, dam area, creek channel up at the West end of the lake and the North side of the grass island.  I also fished a couple submerged cedar trees that were sticking up.  When the lake is at normal pool you wouldn't be seeing these submerged trees.

When I got there this morning there was plenty of surface feeding going on.  I fished the entire North bank line from the (Launch site) and the length of the dam without a single strike on the frog.  On the return trip I switched to a Sweet Beaver and pitched that same stretch with out a single strike.

I beached the boat and got out and worked on my trailer for the next 45 minutes.  I lowered the bunks and replaced the winch strap.  Once the trailer was done I got back in the G3 and headed up to the West end of the lake.  I fished the North bank line flipping the shore line cover. 

I had (2) missed opportunities during this time.  Not paying attention I had a bass pickup the Sweetbeaver and swam towards the boat.  I never got a good hook set.  The fish came off right at the boat.  The 2nd opportunity I seen the line jump I set the hook and all I got back was half of my Sweet Beaver.  The head and both pinchers were gone.

Fishing the West end of the lake didn't produce any strikes at all on the Sweet Beaver.  After getting the boat turned around I reached down and picked up Texas rigged 8.5 in. Black Red V&M Wild Thang ribbon tailed worm and started working the grass line and standing timber.   I had (2) strikes while working my way out of the area.  I hooked up with one but it got me wrapped up around a limb and pulled off.  After retying and changing worms I continued working my way back to the launch site.

Halfway back down the North bank I was re-fishing the same area I'd flipped and pitched.  This time I was casting a Culprit 10in Crawdad colored ribbon tailed worm.  I picked up (2) bass on the return trip off the shore line cover and a submerged cedar tree.  The first bass was 8in long and the big bass of the trip was 16in long.  Both fish I caught came from 4.5ft > 6ft of water.

Big Bass and the bait used as well as the structure it was caught from

One of the things I noticed this morning while fishing the Sweet Beaver I had a couple fish chase it back to the boat.  Once seeing this I changed up my retrieves hoping I'd catch one.  It didn't happen.

When I switched to the plastic worms I was swimming it through the grass and submerged trees.  Both fish I caught on the worm were solid bites.  They hammered it.  If I'd fished longer I believed I'd caught some more bass on that worm.  But the day was getting hot and I was ready to head to the house.

Equipment used during this trip:

G3 Alwed Jon boat; Motor Guide Trolling motors; Humminbird Electronics

Texas Rigged Plastic Worm Setup

Rod: BPS Extreme 7ft (MH) Casting Rod;  Reel:  ABU Garcia Black Max 6.4:1 Low Profile Casting Reel; Line:  Berkley Big Game 20lb Clear; Hook:  Eagle Claw Round Bend Worm Hook 5/0;  Worm Weight: Tungsten 1/4oz; Lure:  Culprit 10in Crawdad Color'd Ribbon Tail Worm.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Pferox

Sounded like a tough day, but for Texas in July a very productive one.  It is always the heat that causes the most hassle.  Glad you got out, I haven't wet a line in quite a while and miss it so.

Thanks for the great report, Don.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Donald Garner

Quote from: Pferox on July 15, 2018, 09:03:08 AM
Sounded like a tough day, but for Texas in July a very productive one.  It is always the heat that causes the most hassle.  Glad you got out, I haven't wet a line in quite a while and miss it so.

Thanks for the great report, Don.

Jim, your right that heat is the killer.  I had plenty of water with me and I was still dehydrated when I got home.  Buddy hope things improve for ya so you can get back out on the water soon. 

Good seeing you on line still  ;)
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

Capt. BassinLou

Great report Donald!! Thank you for sharing.

Mike Cork

Thanks for the report, Donald. Always love reading your detailed days on the water.

I really hate to hear you are having trouble keeping water in your lakes again.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Donald Garner

Quote from: Mike Cork on July 16, 2018, 11:16:52 AM
Thanks for the report, Donald. Always love reading your detailed days on the water.

I really hate to hear you are having trouble keeping water in your lakes again.

Mike tks.  The issue with Nolan Lake is the heat and evaporation  :(  Belton and Stillhouse are low again also but that's from releasing water to the down stream communities  ^-^