Spinning reels with dual drags

Started by IKfish, April 17, 2018, 01:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IKfish

When i was looking for spinning reel, it comes in front/rear drag and dual drags. What's the difference between them? Are they used for any specific species/baits? :-\
Alright so i mainly use top waters, spoons and sometimes hooks with bait. Which one should i buy?

SFL BassHunter

As far as I know it's a preference thing. I could be wrong there may be an actual reason for it.
I've always preferred the top drag. It's just what I got used to growing up.

Good question though, never thought to ask it myself lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Oldfart9999

Some folks like the rear drag, drag on the back of the reel body, I don't, I find it easier to turn the knob on the spool(front drag).
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Pferox

Man I haven't been in this conversation in a long time, great topic, BTW.

I personally prefer front drag, and believe that a long time ago there was a mechanical advantage of front over rear drag, but don't remember what it was, although I think it had something to the size of the drag washers and heat.

Most dual drag models I know of are bait runner reels.  There is a "free spool" mode which has a drag on the back to control that, and a "fighting" mode which has the drag on the front. 

Bait runner reels are used when you are targeting species that like to eat the bait on the run, or need little or no resistance feel for a bit before you set the hook.  They are used a lot in still fishing like catfish or carp, and saltwater species.  They are used like round reels with bait clickers in free spool are.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Lipripper

I like the front drag better myself also.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Pferox on April 17, 2018, 08:27:32 AM
I personally prefer front drag, and believe that a long time ago there was a mechanical advantage of front over rear drag, but don't remember what it was, although I think it had something to the size of the drag washers and heat.

^^^ This is what I have been told also. Larger surface area of the drag washers on front drag reels dissipates the heat better reducing the chances of failure.

I have both types btw, but I prefer the front drag style personally.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

IKfish

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on April 17, 2018, 05:44:41 AM
As far as I know it's a preference thing. I could be wrong there may be an actual reason for it.
I've always preferred the top drag. It's just what I got used to growing up.

Good question though, never thought to ask it myself lol.

lo Happened to watch an article talking about that. But i'm not quiet understand, was wondering someone in UB may know about it.

IKfish

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on April 17, 2018, 07:00:01 AM
Some folks like the rear drag, drag on the back of the reel body, I don't, I find it easier to turn the knob on the spool(front drag).
Rodney

Someone just said that the rear drag is used for live line bait.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: IKfish on April 17, 2018, 08:50:33 PM
lo Happened to watch an article talking about that. But i'm not quiet understand, was wondering someone in UB may know about it.

A lot has to do with what we were taught with and are used to. That being said as Jim said the drag washers are larger on the front drag reels than on the rear drag reels, it should give you a smoother drag and the larger discs should get rid of heat easier. The fly in the ointment is are the discs lubed or not.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.