Running crankbait on pond with weedy bottom

Started by ImUrNv, April 02, 2020, 01:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImUrNv

Hey all, looking for some help on fishing this new pond I scoped out the other day. 

This one has a pretty weedy bottom, so much so that weeds are getting pulled up when bringing in a hooked fish.  As far as I can tell, it is ~6-10 feet deep (as far out as I can get a bait at least).  I've only run a weightless texas rig trick worm due to the weeds, but I want to get a crankbait going here. 

What would you all suggest for this?  Picking a shallower diver than the estimated depth?  Pausing the retrieve to let the crank float up a bit? 

I'm open to everything.

Donald Garner

Get you some Rattle Trap Crankbaits.  You can fish them deep & shallow. There are several different ways to fish this bait.  Sometimes I'll cast it out and use a medium retrieve to bring it back.  Another technique is to use a Stop and Go method.  One other technique I use is to cast it out and start reeling then just stop the bait let it fall a bit and pull the bait back on a tight line. 

Find what bait fish you have in the ponds / lakes you're fishing.  Rattle Traps come in a variety of colors and sizes. 

There are other baits you could try also ie; Spinnerbaits either a Single Spin or a Willow Leaf.   

Good luck with the fishing and catching.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

SHC286

I love using a rattle trap in weeds.
I'll recommend using braid if your fishing from the bank. If you get snagged, you may be able to haul your bait out and may have to replace a couple hooks instead of the whole bait.

cbburke

Quote from: SHC286 on April 02, 2020, 07:49:35 PM
I love using a rattle trap in weeds.
I'll recommend using braid if your fishing from the bank. If you get snagged, you may be able to haul your bait out and may have to replace a couple hooks instead of the whole bait.

That's what my Dobyns 736CB Glass paired up with OG Zillion 100SHA (7.1.1) using 50 lbs braid line.

I just RIP the crap out of it during the weeds
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies..."

TNDiver

I agree with what everyone else said and I would add a NuTech Jig with a big craw type trailer and jig it through the grass.  I bet it will get hammered.  A good top water bait might be good as well.
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus