Shootout participation

Started by BIG PAPA, June 29, 2005, 08:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIG PAPA

Mike one thing I have learned in life and business is if you do not take chances you are sitting still. But you know that , You and Laurie have put in a lot of time and money taking a chance on Ultimate Bass.com and have done a wonderful job, Like I said I was just thinking out loud. I am fine with whatever is done as long as I get to play. lo
papa

Mike Cork

Papa, I have toy'd with your very idea as well. And honestly that is my only fear is that we could loose the trophy not to be seen again. Maybe if we had some sort of incentive to come back and protect the title :-* Or some kind of particapation clause, I don't want to load it down with rules. But I bet we could get more clubs if we opened it up and that inturn would generate more particapation on the site I am sure. :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

BIG PAPA

First let me make one thing clear. I do not really care if we gain clubs or not, now I think it would be fun but it is fun anyway. My reasons for bringing this up  like I said, it has been brought up many times and I thought it would be a good thread to brainstorm a little about.
But you have brought up another question. Are you literally talking about loosing the trophy that can be replaced with a few dollars, or about the winning club not returning and defending.
I guess this all brings up another question, what are our goals for the Shootout? This is obviously a two fold question. What are the desires of the members and what are the desires of Owners of Ultimate Bass.com, you and Laurie. I believe that you and Laurie want what the members want, the two of you have always been in harmony with the members, that is one of the things that make the site so popular among the members. I would be interested in knowing what the members think.
I know that Trey said several times that he liked it just the way it is because it is more intimate and he knows almost everyone, if it got really big that would change somewhat. I am completely neutral, I think I would be happy either way.
What do the rest of you guys and girls think?
papa ~sun

Jared LeBlue

I would like to see more clubs participate but not so much for the tournament's sake rather I do think it would generate more interest in the site, from the club side. The tournament is awesome with the two clubs and I think it will continue to be that way but I would like to see it grow a little. Now with the idea of the Rally we have opened up a new opportunity for the UBCS. WE were trying to target clubs from every state to come to one area for the UBCS but now with the Rally we don't have to do that. The Rally will give all members of the board a chance to fish an event and meet everybody. What I would like to see is a regional UBCS. Basically we would concentrate on getting clubs in our region to join the site and fish the tournament. Every region would do the same thing. Then we could have a championship tournament with the winning club from each region. I think this would go over well because all clubs would get a chance to fish the UBCS close to home which would probably generate more interest.
Ardent Prostaff

Wildcat26

Just some thoughts.

A few of you may remember a year ago I spoke about regionals then a championship. I personally would rather see this site go in that direction and remain a club orinented site rather than just a fishing site. Funds from regionals could be used to send a club to the championship.  Also any individual that wished to make the trip to the championship should be allowed to do and put on a team just as we do now.

The rally appears to be an attempt to get more individuals rather than clubs involved in a tournament. Are we giving up on clubs after only two years.  I see some interest in a rally, but is it the new people that you want to get involved or the same people that have been fishing the shootout.  And just like the shootout this year there will be those that express and interest, say they want to come but in the end do not. 

I know the original goal was a site for bass clubs however the site seems to have moved away from that goal. There are threads that have nothing to do with bass or fishing.  Sometimes it seems that people are using the site as a personal chat room.

Mike and Laurie own the site and I assume make an income from it. It is their right to take it in whatever direction they want. Then it is up to each of you to decide if you wish to continue to be a part of it.  I enjoy the site and love the shootout.  I hope both continue in a form that I will want to be associated with.

Jared LeBlue

Wildcat, the site was generated primarily for discussion and sharing info on bass fishing. The Club Boards were added to the site about a year and half ago, maybe two years but  regardless it was not what started the site up. Now with all that said, the club section of the board is very important and offers a great asset to the site. The UBCS was something we generated last year through some discussion in the open forum. We were looking for a way to draw some interest to the Club Boards and get more clubs involved on the site. That is still the goal and I am dedicated to making the UBCS the best that it can be. The Rally is not taking the place of the UBCS, it is a totally different tournament and it's target is more wide spread. I think the Rally is going to draw individuals that wouldn't come to the UBCS because they are not in a club or the club they are in doesn't want to travel. I really believe that this is going to help the UBCS because of the reasons I listed in the previous post. If we do a regional UBCS we will get more participation. Each region will be responsible for taking care of their UBCS. The Championship tournament will be held at location set by Laurie, Mike, and the Event Staff.  Right now though we really need to get things kicked off for the 2006 UBCS.
Ardent Prostaff

Wildcat26

Jared last year I attended a meeting at Lake Fausee Pointe.  It is a fairly new state park west of St. Martinville.  Beautiful place, the cabins looked nice from the outside, I just went into the meeting room, which was air-conditioned.  I have really wanted to fish the area but have not had the chance to return.  It is a place we should check out for next years shootout. 

Jared LeBlue

Wildcat, do me a favor and take a look at it on the net. You can find it under Lousiana State Parks. It looks like the lake is small and it doesn't connect to the rest of the basin. Now I was looking at the diagram and pictures so it's hard to tell. The cabins do look nice and there are a bunch of them. I know how the fishing can be in the basin but I really never heard anything about that lake and it maybe because it is small. Now the flip side to that is there should be a launch into the basin really close by. We need to investigate.
Ardent Prostaff

Wildcat26

I did find some site, I think it was La Wildlife and Fisheries that said a lot of Florida bass had been stocked at Fausse Point.

Rickoos

Wildcat,

I will help you in checking on this if you like............seems I have a dist. that fishes over there.........

Ricky
sponsors:
American Bass Angler Pro Staff, R & M Tackle, K & M Custom Rods, Secret Weapon Lures,Vicious Fishing Tournament Team, Driftwood Lures,  Fish Hedz/Save Phace,

Wildcat26

I am going to try and make a trip there in the next few months.

cmegee

For the honorary Yankee members is that close to where they hold the BFL & BASS events this past spring...

Wildcat26

I believe those were out of Morgan City which is about 20 miles away.  But it is all the same kind of water and cover. The trouble will holding the tournamnent there is we would have to stay in a bunch of motel rooms.  No area to cook and gather together.

cmegee

Okay, just curious, that's the only area I've fished down there besides Bayou Black, that was a great area.

Wildcat26

I was we could hold it at Black Bayou down there. I have fished there twice and love it.  Problem is it is a 20 minute drive to the closest motel.

Wildcat26

If you have a Shootout and a Rally you will have a few individuals that attend both. And you will have a number of individuals that chose one or the other to fish but not both.  Its hard to take two fishing vacations in one year.

Warpath

I really like Rattle's idea of having local competiton and the winning club advancing.  I don't know if we could get all the guys from our club to go, but I know a certain few who certainly would.  Several of us have discussed fishing on more of a regional basis.  I for one would love to fish into IN, KY, TN, IL,MI, and so on.  Several of our guys travel extensively for fishing other circuits (ABA, Midwestern Sportsman, and others) but I don't.  I would have but moving this spring really set me back in that department. 

Eric