702SF - 732SF

Started by 78Staff, June 26, 2021, 08:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78Staff

Ok, so preface this by saying I don't use spinning roods a lot.  Down here in Fl, it's just not needed very often.  But I do have a Champ XP 703SF, with Tatula LT 4000, and it's my all around spinning setup for tubes, shakey head, small plastics/senko, etc.  I've always been a "1 spinning rod guy".  But, lately have been thinking of adding a second, lighter action rod for the true finesse presentations - ned rig, drop shop and the like.  Honestly, I won't use it very much, but would like to have a rig for it. Since it won't get much use, imo no point in spending extreme $$, so looking at the Champ 2-power series.

Since I have a 703SF, the logical choice is the 702SF was my first thought.  Then I read Gary's comments on the 732/733 series being so special so started thinking about a 732 instead.  Then I also read a lot of comments about how great the Sierra 2 power's are.  So just more confusion lol.  Not sure how to choose.  No local dealers, I always order direct from Dobyns.  I will run it by them of course when I call to order, but  figured I would gather as much knowledge/info I could before hand....

So, any pressing reason to choose say the 732SF over the 702 SF... or choose the Sierra over both, for the presentations I'm considering. 

rb-nc

I say go with the Champ 732. Had one for a year. Sweet rod for what your going to use it for. Also great for throwing small topwaters making long cast. Also makes a great Shad Rap rod

dunnuckt

Up here in Indiana I use spinning tackle a lot. Of the two you mentioned, I would definitely go with the 2 power for finesse.   I use my Sierra 702SF for drop shots, shaky heads, split shots, grubs, and small Rapalas etc.  Use my 703 for wacky rigs, stupid tubes, and jerkbaits.  Last year I decided I needed a dedicated Ned Rig rod and got one of the prototype Kaden 711s which I absolutely love for finesse applications.  It casts 1/10 oz. finesse jigs beautifully and handles fish well.  I love my Sierras but I may love my Kaden even more.

Don't mean to add to your confusion - just my 2 cents.  I think most guys on here would go with the 2 power for finesse.