TUSCARAWAS RIVER Bass Fishing Reports

Started by tcba1987, April 22, 2005, 06:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcba1987

fished the tusc river for 2 hours here in the new philadelphia area, on tuesday morning from 9 am to 11 am. fished one small area where there is a nice sized eddy area. the fish were relating to the current break, all i had to do was flip out my 3.5 inch mustard colored strike king tube and hop it along bottom and the smallies were SMASHING it !!! i was using the tube texas rigged on a 3/0 gamakatsu wide gap hook witha 1/8 ounce bullet weight. i ended up catching 4 smallies on the tube between 12-14 inches and also caught one 11 inch smallie on a cotton cordell big o  (chartruese with blue back).  i hooked and lost at least 5 other fish, i think im getting a good hook set they just seem to be pulling off after they are hooked. is my hook too small ???  what do you all think ??    :help:

weny back to the same area, wednesday morning, to check it out and see if the fish were still there. ive got a tourney sunday but with this weather who knows ??? fished about 15 minutes wed. am and caught one nice 14 inch fish and shook off 3 others, all on the tube again. what changes should i make for the tourney sunday with this cold weather moving in ?? any suggestions ??   :help:

im posting a pic of one of the smallies.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Brian Huff
Tuscarawas River Smallmouth Angler

Mike Cork

Thanks for the report ~c~ ~c~

As far as the size of your hook, really it should be plenty, but if you are having trouble with the bait balling up on the hook or the hook not coming threw the bait completely then you could try up sizing to a 4/0.

Weather changes this time of year can be tough on a good bite, but it sounds like your fish have found a comfort zone in the river. I would expect them to still be there. At worst case you may have to slow down a little, fish more with the tube and don't be discouraged if they won't take the crank after the front moves threw. It has been my experience in rivers that a front will effect bass less as it is coming threw and more later in the week when the cold rain water works it's way into the river and effects the over all temps of the water.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

OHbassaholic

I'd stick to using those same lures and hit the same spot several times during the tourney.  After this w-end of colder temps and snow, we are going to see a drop in water temp.  BUT, the strongest reports I've been getting in the Central Ohio area is that the best bags are coming from deeper spots still.  Many are being taken on cranks and slow falling tubes.  Only in the last couple of days with the full moon coming have good size bass been found shallower and tight to cover.

Don't forget that Ohio bass are used to numerous fronts passing through this time of year.  It would take a lot to get them to change their current habits.

Good luck on that T, tcba!