Thoughts on Baitcaster Gear Ratio Change

Started by greenpig, August 16, 2023, 11:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenpig

hi,forum
how about baitcaster reel's gear changing this way?

1.Normally,Reels have 1 gear setup(1 drive gear) inside of Reel,that's why you only use it as
one fixed gear ratio. but this one having 3 already prepared setups of different gear ratio (3
different sizes of Drive Gears)inside of Reel's Gear space.
2. CENTER is pinion gear, and AROUND that it's have three different sizes of Drive Gears.
  just like On an analog Clock center,around having second hand bar,minute hand bar,hour hand
bar.
3. so 3 different Gears have 3 OF each different its own STAINLESS STEEL DRIVE SHAFT.that iron
stick shaft have its length of around 1inch long.
4.That Shaft's End stick out(projected)/OUTED to OUTER body of the Reel as inputs.
5. user plug handle to one of OUTER THREE DIFFERENT shaft inputs.
6 .it's changing gear manually by unplug & plug handle to the other input(of shaft of different
  gear)
7.having multiple gears setup inside of the Reel inevitably makes the Reel Bigger than normal.

thanks for check.
any comments on this NON-SENSE is welcomed.

Smallie_Stalker

Seems like far too much work and a lot more time to do something I can accomplish by simply grabbing a different rod.

Also, there are already reels on the (saltwater) market with multiple gear ratios. But....

I'm by no means an expert in mechanical matters but see if this makes sense (anybody) and correct me where I'm wrong.

IN THEORY it would work since gear ratio = # of teeth on main(drive gear) / # of teeth on pinion gear.

But as I see this the pinion gear would be in contact with all 3 drive gears all the time. So even if you move the handle (and all the washers and spacers and lock nut that go with it (another set of problems) to a different drive shaft, all 3 main (drive) gears would still be turning. Which one provides the gear ratio then? A combination of all of them?

Not to mention...

Multiple drive shafts sticking out from the side of the reel would make it difficult turning the handle as the other shafts would likely get in the way. How do you prevent your hands from potentially getting damaged while turning the handle? Damage to the exposed shafts not in use?

That's just scratching the surface of the problems that come to mind.

The way I see it, IF you were going to try multiple drive gears you would need to find a way for the pinion gear to only contact one drive gear at a time. Since the pinion gear turns the spool shaft you can't move that, so you would need to find a way for the drive gears not in use to disengage when you change handle position.

As I said earlier there are some 2 speed reels already on the market. They change gear ratio by flipping a switch/lever. I don't own any so I don't know the mechanics of how they achieve this. Perhaps you can do a Google search to find out or even buy one of these reels and look at the schematic to figure it out.

I'll stick to just grabbing a different rod.

Just my $.02

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire