Rod setup

Started by Mike the fox, January 28, 2023, 12:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike the fox

A few years ago I was given this quantum Gary Klein edition rod. It's an oddball with the rod guides that spiral around the rod. It's time to stop looking at it and set it up. My home lake is Sam Rayburn these days. So let's hear it. What would you do with it? Obviously it's getting a bait casting reel but what gear ratio, line, and purpose would you use it for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big g

A 7' MH with a fast reel is what I use for plastics almost everyday.  I use 15 pound Floro, or 15 pound Mono with as light a weight as the conditions will allow.  I fish using this set up 80% of the time.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

BassmanRudy

That's a good rod for a variety of things. Soft plastics on a t-rig like mentioned above. Spinnerbait rod if not using braid.

Wouldn't try to hit the 1.5oz top end of the range though. You'd hate that after a few flips. Try 3/8 to 5/8 and have at it!
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Mike the fox

Have any of you ever fished with the spiral guides?

BassmanRudy

I haven't personally but a friend who custom makes rods gets a lot of requests for them. Supposed to reduce stress on the blank by letting the guides hold the line under load. Looks weird/odd for sure!
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

big g

Quote from: Mike the fox on January 28, 2023, 08:09:50 PM

FD on this site makes quality custom rods with spiral guides.  He has some videos on how he makes them and why he uses the spiral system.  We have an expert!
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

apenland01

I have an FDx custom rod that FD made for me with the spiral guides in a medium rod for weightless flukes and it's awesome....

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Mike the fox on January 28, 2023, 08:09:50 PM

I have a few rods that are spiral wrapped. I prefer this method of wrapping versus traditional in line wrapping.

Kal-Kevin

I use to pay good money to have rod guides spiral wrapped around my rods,it just to makes flipping easier and more on target. I use heave action rod with then guilds set up like that and most times braided line.

Donald Garner

I have a Lee Smith Custom 7ft (H) action Spiral Wrapped Rod I use just for Flipping and Pitching.  I have it matched with a Abu Garcia STX low profile baitcasting reel.  IMO the spiral wrapped rod makes it easier to flip and pitch with. 

I've seen other guys use Spiral Wrapped Rods for other applications for Spinnerbaits & Crankbaits.  I've tried it a few times but decided to just use mine for Flipping and Pitching.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Mike the fox

I got some academy sports gift cards for Christmas so I went down this morning and picked out a daiwa tatula in 6.3:1. Don't know what line I'll run or the purpose I'll use it for yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk