Alphas SV modding

Started by LgMouthGambler, June 22, 2015, 08:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LgMouthGambler

Decided to break down my new Alphas SV in preparation to the pretty parts that I had ordered a while ago. Gonna make my version of what I think would be a Alphas SV-R. I have received my red line guide screw and knob caps, along with RCS cork knobs from Hedgehog Studios. I am currently waiting for the RCS carbon fiber handle from Japan Lure Shop, which should be here any day now. I decided to go 90mm vs the stock 80mm.

My stock form.

So here is a peek at the internals. Upon first glance it seems pretty simple, but once I looked closer I noticed a bit of interesting mechanics.

Notice when most is removed to reveal the complex internals of the clutch system. To me it's very different from what I am used to.

It may be more simple than I think, but Shimanos clutch system seems to be less complex.

The drag stack seems pretty stout. I did take off the stock grease and will be applying a thin layer of Star drag grease to the discs.

The gears did not have much grease to them, so they got degreased of what they had, and will be putting a bit more back on during reassembly. This should happen to keep them smooth and protected during the abundance of use that this reel will be getting. As far as the bearings go, I am not gonna touch them. They have not been overlubed, and spin rather well. I'm sure down the line they will get upgraded, but that may be a few years yet.

Everything is ready for reassembly, just gonna wait till the handle gets here.

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

rockchalk06

I probably otta break mine down and make sure its fine. Weird how JDM stuff doesn't come over lubed like Domestic stuff does.

BTW, I can't wait to see that handle man! ;D

LgMouthGambler

So this arrived today. Looks like I may have to put the SV back together later tonight.

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

LgMouthGambler

Got home and started to put the Alphas back together. The RCS handle came with tools, 4 bearings, shims, screws, and nut retainers (which I didn't use due to the stock one being red). The RCS knobs each came with tools, caps, and shims.

Got the knobs and bearings shimmed to the handle. Absolutely no play in the knobs for this reel.

Got the reel all back together with the handle, knobs, and red pieces. Now it's my own Alphas SV-R.

Greasing the gears and drag myself made this reel super smooth. I can't wait to get this thing back out and hooking fish.

rockchalk06

MCS

Romans 1:16    2 Corinthians 5:17     3 John 1:4
"I'm sorry. I'm not very tolerant when it comes to the liberals who complain about everything." Mike Ditka
"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living." John Wayne

Mike Cork

Okay who actually makes this reel?

The clutch is very similar to Okuma's higher end stuff and the pinion gear pin is obviously diawa

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Mike Cork on June 24, 2015, 07:27:51 AM
Okay who actually makes this reel?

The clutch is very similar to Okuma's higher end stuff and the pinion gear pin is obviously diawa

Its all Daiwa. JDM.

Mike Cork

Figured it was, just not familiar with the JDM.

I have had a diawa or two on the table that had a similar clutch mechanism in it. May be to much for the U.S. market to handle  :surrender:  You know we as U.S. citizens are accepting of a certain amount of failures so our market equipment isn't built as well :surrender:

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Mike Cork on June 24, 2015, 09:21:04 AM
Figured it was, just not familiar with the JDM.

I have had a diawa or two on the table that had a similar clutch mechanism in it. May be to much for the U.S. market to handle  :surrender:  You know we as U.S. citizens are accepting of a certain amount of failures so our market equipment isn't built as well :surrender:

And this is why I only use reel built in Japan.

Tavery5

Good looking reel, looks very similar to the one I use.

rockchalk06

Quote from: Tavery5 on June 27, 2015, 06:27:11 PM
Good looking reel, looks very similar to the one I use.

Where did you get the Mechanical break knob?

Tavery5

Where did you get the Mechanical break knob?
[/quote]

It is off of a PX-R, here is a link to where you can purchase.

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=898_660_729&products_id=4610

rockchalk06

Thanks a lot man. I just ordered one along with some handle caps for my SV! ~beer~

Tavery5

Quote from: rockchalk06 on June 27, 2015, 10:20:51 PM

Thanks a lot man. I just ordered one along with some handle caps for my SV! ~beer~

No problem, glad I could help.

rockchalk06

Quote from: Tavery5 on June 27, 2015, 10:52:21 PM

You may have created a monster sir. Custom parts that I dont have to have shipped from overseas lol

Tavery5

Quote from: rockchalk06 on June 28, 2015, 02:09:26 PM
Quote from: Tavery5 on June 27, 2015, 10:52:21 PM

You may have created a monster sir. Custom parts that I dont have to have shipped from overseas lol

The guys at The Tackle Trap are extremely knowledgeable, and equally helpful.  Ever have a question about a Daiwa reel, they are as good as it gets.  I agree, it is very cool to be able to order Hedgehog parts local to the U.S.