Winter Wonderland

Started by Stren_g, December 03, 2018, 10:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.W. Verts

Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Oldfart9999

I started as a way to save some money and come up with colors I had a hard time finding, spent about 300$ for 2 molds, hooks, brush guards and skirts and powder paint. I made fluid bed for applying the powder and picked up a toaster oven for curing the paint from a local used "whatever" store. I read stuff at an old site I belonged to, youtube videos, tackleunderground and the library. I had 3 or 400 lbs of lead I scrounged, it's been added to, probably in the neighborhood of 7 or 800 pounds now. Bought some bucktails for hair jigs, a mold for dropshot weights and noticed the money was flying out the door. I had to settle on what I really wanted to do
As it stands I can now make well over a thousand ball head jigs, both weedless and open hook, more than lifetimes worth for me. With what's cast I can make up close to a hundred poison tail jigs, if I'm healthy a years worth or more.
Yes, it can be addictive, and I enjoy it. lo lo Oh, I do give some of it away when I'm able to play at the bench.
Rodney     
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Stren_g

I've been browsing a few supply stores online, and watched a few videos on jig tying. It's interesting to say the least. I'm thinking about giving this a try, I've got more research to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldfart9999

I'll help you with; molds, Janns and Barlows, hooks Capt. Hooks buy by the hundred count, skirts Skirts plus and I've done pretty well at Janns, bucktails barlows did well by me, brushguards skirts plus or Janns, powder at Powder By The Pound or CS. coatings, lead see what you can find free not new wheel weights in quantity a lot of guys go to ROTO METAL you can buy small quantities off ebay, check prices. For a lead pot I use a Lee Lead Pot 4, works alright and is priced well. For consideration, use flux, Barlows has Franklin Arsenal Lead melting flux at a reasonable price and it doesn't take much at each use. Have good ventilation!!!!!
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

D.W. Verts

I own maybe six lead molds, some of 'em pretty old, and I've been looking at more. It's hard to pay $3 apiece on an underspin jig head that I can build for a buck or so.

I've been contemplating pouring some soft plastic, something I haven't done in years and years. And years. Except we have folks like Doc Irv that does it for me so well and at a reasonable cost too.

Stren_g

Man ya'll got me thinkin hard now. Rodney i made a note of the information you provided here, thank you very much! If I get started it'll likely be with jigs at first.

bigjim5589

Rodney, thanks for posting that information!  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

The supplier information is in a pinned post at the top of this forum, but good to get customer satisfaction replies for those suppliers. When I've bought from any of them, I've never had any problems and have always been treated good!

I'll also be adding Rock island Sports in NY to that list. I've bought some things from them the last couple of years, and have been very satisfied with the service & fast shipping! They have the best prices on Do It molds that I've found!  ;)

DW, thanks for your remarks too! Pouring plastic baits may be my next step too!  :)

I counted the molds I have a few months ago, and at that time had 275. I've added a few more since then. I may have around 1500 lbs of lead and well over 100,000 hooks. It can add up! However, it's not something I did overnight, and took me a lot of years to accumulate them. It's never been about the money for me, I just enjoy making things myself!  ;D

It's been said many times, there's a great amount of satisfaction when you catch fish on what you've made yourself!  ~gf

As far as saving money, I'm sure I haven't, but I would have probably spent it one way or another!  lo
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

D.W. Verts

Jim, you may need to seek professional help...

Then again, you may be the most mentally stable person on the forum.

Stren_g

Quote from: D.W. Verts on December 07, 2018, 11:19:30 AM
Jim, you may need to seek professional help...

Then again, you may be the most mentally stable person on the forum.

... I thought Jim was the help!!!??? :surrender:

bigjim5589

lo ~roflmao

DW, I'm way past that point! No one can help me!  lo
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.