The Dream, Part II- Lake of the Ozarks & My Return

Started by D.W. Verts, November 25, 2018, 08:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.W. Verts

Okay, so here we go. A few commercials first-

I intend to chronicle my week as I prepare for, and hopefully COMPETE in, my first pro-level tournament in almost eighteen years. I'm not filming this as so many do- my plan is to simply put my thoughts into words on the hows and whys as I proceed thru the upcoming days. I'll try to do this in multiple posts where ya'll are invited to put in YOUR thoughts, questions, etc. I'm hoping that possibly there might be some lessons to learn here, both for ya'll and myself. I have never recorded my thoughts and happenings "live" before.

Quick history reboot- I fished tourneys and guided for twenty-one years with decent (slightly better than mediocre success). I quit in 2001 to raise our family, as simple as that.

I'll try to cover my thought processes, how I proceed throughout the week, how I make decisions, and just report on what I see. If it gets boring, tell me. Please.

The tournament itself is the Webb Outdoors Elite series, a solo event (all "pros", no partners). I have never fished one, but this is considered a Premier series with some major hitters competing. And beginning with this event there are major new sponsors, so the series has taken on a growth spurt and the result is an anticipated increase in participants. Generally these things draw 80-100 anglers. It's a two-day derby with an entry fee of $305.

The weather is going to be brutal this week (it's 28 degrees right now, been snowing hard, with wind gusts over 45 mph) but is supposed to be better for the event this weekend. No step for a stepper, but if I don't feel I can compete safely after a couple of practice days then I won't try to compete. Fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone- I hope ya'll enjoy this.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

FloridaFishinFool

I just checked their schedule:

2019 Webb Outdoors Elite Results

Dec. 1 & 2, 2018 Lake of the Ozarks
Mar 2 & 3, 2019 Table Rock
April 6 & 7, 2019 Pomme de Terre
May 18 & 19, 2019 Bull Shoals
2019 Elite Championship Stockton

Lake of the Ozarks is first up for you? I just watched an old Denny Brauer fishing video yesterday, and he was on Lake of the Ozarks fishing and mentioned he also guided there for decades before going pro.

Good luck and all the best to you Dale!

We'll be watching from where it is nice and warm!   ~sun
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

zippyduck

Thanks for the new series on UB. I look forward to this for so many reasons.
To learn from it.
To root you on.
To enjoy your writing style.

Be safe and have fun.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

D.W. Verts

So I decided Saturday around noon that I was going to make this happen, and that meant a complete shift in my thinking. The decision wasn't so late that I had to go to panic mode, but it made me do a list of items most important on down to the minor stuff.

For me tourney fishin' was always a mental game- the actual fishin' just filled in the chinks. Getting your head right and KEEPING it there is vital. So my largest challenge was, and will continue to be, keeping the negative stuff out and put the positive stuff in. And boy, is that hard, especially when dealing with this early onset of Winter and a dismal forecast thru the upcoming weekend. Oh well.

SO- Saturday afternoon I start with the planning. First off, I'll discontinue my weight lifting efforts except for dead lifts and ab work until next week. No point in trying to fish four days with unnecessary muscle soreness. I will continue the cardio work, or at least as much as I can given my schedule for the week.

Sunday morning I hauled a bunch of tackle to my man cave next to our restaurant, and commenced to work on it in between my regular job as Chief of Maintenance & Dish washing. It's a living.

#1 is changing line, and I stripped a bunch of reels of their 12# & 15# test (that mostly was brand-new) and replaced it with 8# & 10#, which of course required some different rods. This is Winter fishin'. While I'll always have a Flippin' rod in the boat, this time of the year requires lighter stuff.

I also worked up SEVEN spinning rods. Now folks, this is my biggest weakness in bass fishing. I don't use much spinning gear. But I have seven that are ready to go with both 8# and 6# line. Again, it's Winter.

I spent several hours removing tackle from my boat and shop. Some of it is put away until next year- I'll carry less stuff in the Winter by far than any other season.

Depending on water temps and how far along we are in the Winter migrations will determine if this is a hard bait or soft bait deal. Or both. The forecast is for cloudy, rain and some snow throughout the duration of my fishin'. That may mean a lot and time will tell.

Without overthinking this, my first issue to try to define on the water will be simply how deep are the bass? Are there catch-able bass at multiple depths? That is the first order of business.

And I won't be checking into much as far as fishin' reports and such, and I won't be listening to any coffee table fishin'. It's not my style. Or at least it didn't use to be.

Tomorrow I'll start the day cutting a couple loads of firewood, then finish up my chores at the restaurant. I need my head clear, and unfinished work will clutter my puny brain up. After that I'll so some more tackle work and I may fire up the lead pot to pour a few extra baits. I'll do some minor map study to try to re-acquaint myself with the lake, and to try to get my brain clicking in the right direction. Then I'll load everything in the boat & double and triple check what I need.

Tomorrow night I may make use of some technology for the first time in my life, and do some satellite imagery of the Lake. Then Wednesday morning I'll head out for the first time.

Dale

Oldfart9999

Sounds like a plan so far Dale, do you have any idea what the water temps are?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

the_huber_show

Quote from: FloridaFishinFool on November 26, 2018, 05:47:14 AM
I just checked their schedule:

2019 Webb Outdoors Elite Results

Dec. 1 & 2, 2018 Lake of the Ozarks
Mar 2 & 3, 2019 Table Rock
April 6 & 7, 2019 Pomme de Terre
May 18 & 19, 2019 Bull Shoals
2019 Elite Championship Stockton

We'll be watching from where it is nice and warm!   ~sun

Oh these are all relativley close to me!  Esp Pomme De Terre that's about 20-30 mins south.  Dale if you fish that one dinner is on me one night buddy!

Quote from: D.W. Verts on November 26, 2018, 10:14:38 PM
So I decided Saturday around noon that I was going to make this happen, and that meant a complete shift in my thinking. The decision wasn't so late that I had to go to panic mode, but it made me do a list of items most important on down to the minor stuff.

For me tourney fishin' was always a mental game- the actual fishin' just filled in the chinks. Getting your head right and KEEPING it there is vital. So my largest challenge was, and will continue to be, keeping the negative stuff out and put the positive stuff in. And boy, is that hard, especially when dealing with this early onset of Winter and a dismal forecast thru the upcoming weekend. Oh well.

SO- Saturday afternoon I start with the planning. First off, I'll discontinue my weight lifting efforts except for dead lifts and ab work until next week. No point in trying to fish four days with unnecessary muscle soreness. I will continue the cardio work, or at least as much as I can given my schedule for the week.

Sunday morning I hauled a bunch of tackle to my man cave next to our restaurant, and commenced to work on it in between my regular job as Chief of Maintenance & Dish washing. It's a living.

#1 is changing line, and I stripped a bunch of reels of their 12# & 15# test (that mostly was brand-new) and replaced it with 8# & 10#, which of course required some different rods. This is Winter fishin'. While I'll always have a Flippin' rod in the boat, this time of the year requires lighter stuff.

I also worked up SEVEN spinning rods. Now folks, this is my biggest weakness in bass fishing. I don't use much spinning gear. But I have seven that are ready to go with both 8# and 6# line. Again, it's Winter.

I spent several hours removing tackle from my boat and shop. Some of it is put away until next year- I'll carry less stuff in the Winter by far than any other season.

Depending on water temps and how far along we are in the Winter migrations will determine if this is a hard bait or soft bait deal. Or both. The forecast is for cloudy, rain and some snow throughout the duration of my fishin'. That may mean a lot and time will tell.

Without overthinking this, my first issue to try to define on the water will be simply how deep are the bass? Are there catch-able bass at multiple depths? That is the first order of business.

And I won't be checking into much as far as fishin' reports and such, and I won't be listening to any coffee table fishin'. It's not my style. Or at least it didn't use to be.

Tomorrow I'll start the day cutting a couple loads of firewood, then finish up my chores at the restaurant. I need my head clear, and unfinished work will clutter my puny brain up. After that I'll so some more tackle work and I may fire up the lead pot to pour a few extra baits. I'll do some minor map study to try to re-acquaint myself with the lake, and to try to get my brain clicking in the right direction. Then I'll load everything in the boat & double and triple check what I need.

Tomorrow night I may make use of some technology for the first time in my life, and do some satellite imagery of the Lake. Then Wednesday morning I'll head out for the first time.

Dale

I love reading your thoughts man!  So much knowledge.  I see the temp is suppose to be up this weekend to 50's so hopefully that will help the bite a little.  Look forward to seeing how you do!

Also you ever need a camera man just let me know :)
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

D.W. Verts

Rodney, they should be in the mid to upper forties.  Last weekend was 48-52, and it's been very cold.

Huber- LOZ is almost half again as close to you as Pomme.

50's this weekend will be great. Except for the 80% chance of rain Saturday and then a rain/snow mix Sunday. No sweat. Literally.

Donald Garner

Dale, Tight Lines there buddy.  Tks for putting this together I look forward to reading these on a regular basis.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

D.W. Verts

Everything's ready. New Gore Tex came today, too. SIXTEEN degrees tonight, but with an improving forecast for the weekend.

Been studying the maps some, and just got done looking at Google Earth. My Lord- there's docks everywhere that there didn't used to be. Thousands of new docks since 2001.

Heading out in the morning. Brrr...

zippyduck

BRRRRRRRRRRR is right. Take a hot drink also. Stay safe.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Wizard

Just a thought, my friend. By the time of first day takeoff, everyone will know who you are, that you fished BASS and the Classic. All of them will be thinking, "this old guy is good and he wouldn't enter unless he is on bass". Keep your rods off deck until you get to your first spot. Some will be worrying about you. Let the head games begin.

Wizard

Oldfart9999

Oh Dale, you try to get in anybody's mind and have them going nuts and running all over the place would you? lo lo ::) ;) ~shade
Hope you can get a good handle on what they're doing!!!
Rodney

the_huber_show

Quote from: D.W. Verts on November 27, 2018, 06:58:33 PM
Huber- LOZ is almost half again as close to you as Pomme.

Roughly 3 hours to Osage Beach  ~cf

Quote from: Wizard on November 28, 2018, 01:22:09 AM
Just a thought, my friend. By the time of first day takeoff, everyone will know who you are, that you fished BASS and the Classic. All of them will be thinking, "this old guy is good and he wouldn't enter unless he is on bass". Keep your rods off deck until you get to your first spot. Some will be worrying about you. Let the head games begin.

Wizard

That's funny and a great idea  ~roflmao

Quote from: D.W. Verts on November 27, 2018, 09:28:52 PM
Everything's ready. New Gore Tex came today, too. SIXTEEN degrees tonight, but with an improving forecast for the weekend.

Been studying the maps some, and just got done looking at Google Earth. My Lord- there's docks everywhere that there didn't used to be. Thousands of new docks since 2001.

Heading out in the morning. Brrr...

Good luck!  I am sure it's def cold out there but hopefully you find some patterns

RDY2GO

Dale -

Thank you for taking the time to write what you have so far, I am, quite honestly hanging on every word and enjoying reading it more than I can tell you.  To say that I am looking forward to anything else you care to, or have time to share, is an understatement of monumental proportions!

Good luck!  Stay focused!  Have a blast! 
Bruce McCrary
Cotton Grove, NC

D.W. Verts

Wow. I may become a legend in my own mind...

So, it was COLD this morning. And because of that I didn't get an early start, and that's bad because the days are SHORT.

Because I KNOW that there are lurkers here I won't be going into great detail until this is over. Fact is it was a struggle for me today. Part of it was the cold, and I fished a part of the Lake that I haven't seen in almost twenty years. Things have changed.

Finding good shad is a problem, at least so far. The water temps are almost identical from the main channel to the backs of the creeks, and the water has a weird color to it. Ya'll know what that means.

I actually spent about half of the time idling around and graphing, trying to put a "picture" together in my head before I started, and I feel I failed at that, mostly.

Did I mention it was cold?

I spent the day in just two representative creeks within a mile and-a-half of each other. This is the method I use when practicing anywhere. I then fished the better secondary points, one main lake point, a few channel swings, a few pockets, shallow to deeper water, really just moving around and trying to get a feel for things.

I didn't get a bass in the boat until after 2 PM.

So, what GOOD practice is means eliminating and learning. I found a little something at the end, but being able to duplicate it is the key. Tomorrow I'm starting ten miles away and working a different area. Same plan, same deal...

Wish I had three days, but I need to work at my business Friday, and I'm going to do that. Anyway, five days in a row and ya'll would be reading my obituary!

As far as baits and details, I'll talk about that next week. No matter what I catch, my game plan (rusty as it may be) won't change much, and maybe ya'll can learn from that.

Notes-

My near $500 Gore Tex is some good stuff, for sure. The only thing that really got cold was my hands 'cuz I hate gloves, and my ears a little. I never fired up the first pack of "Hot Hands".

My old, round Ambassadeurs get WAY colder than the modern, low-profile reels. They STAY colder, too. It was raw.

White bass get tangled up in treble hooks way worse than black bass do.

There are so many new houses and docks it's unbelievable. And some of these new docks are IN MY WAY.

At almost 60,000 acres, 1400 miles of shoreline and 40,000 plus docks, LOZ can be an intimidating beast.

jfly's Skeeter is a great rig.

Dale

Wizard

Sorry the area of day 1 practice didn't work for you. A smelly lake doesn't make for good fishing. Might have to go up lake until the smell disappears. Pretty late in the year for that.
For cold hands, a pair of cheap cotton gloves with the PAD of the fingers which touch the line cut out, works for me. A long, cold, run and I use GORE TEX or neoprene gloves. Good Luck on day 2 practice.

Wizard

Oldfart9999

Dale, Wizard's cotton glove idea should do the trick for you. I hope you find better water today!!!
Rodney

the_huber_show

That stinks day 1 wasn't what you hoped for.  I know you'll keep at it and find what works pal.  I would agree on the gloves!  I personally don't like gloves either but ones with the fingers cut off I can stand to wear :)

Cheers to day 2

Stren_g

Tough conditions for sure, and I feel it for ya. Last saturday was a cold and windy one for me. After a couple hours I was ready to head in. But hard headed as I am I wasn't takin a skunk home, so I stayed and chilled until I found a bass. Expecting blizzard conditions this weekend.  :surrender: Gloves aren't fun, but ifn ya have time check out the Glacier pro anglers. They're designed for cold, and have slits cut out for the thumb and index finger. Good luck Dale, we all hope ya find em!

the_huber_show

Stren_g

Quote from: the_huber_show on November 29, 2018, 10:39:01 AM

Those are nice!  Step for my budget for gloves  lo

Worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_huber_show

Quote from: Stren_g on November 29, 2018, 10:39:34 AM

Worth it.

Actually just searched them on eBay and found them for half the price....at $25 shipped that's worth it :)

D.W. Verts

I'd already ordered those some Simms Glacier gloves, and a pair of wool fingerless too... And now they're here.

So, hit the water today at 8:30 and 31 degrees, but it warmed up fast, all the way to 55 (the sun was out most of the day and it was supposed to be cloudy).

Timing is everything in tourney fishin', both with practice and in the derby itself. Actually, I think time management is way more important when you're trying to find bass, and I pretty much suck at it right now. I'm spending way too much time trying to pick things apart. Nitpicking, if you will. It's just because I lack time on the water and it's been just too damn long since I've done this.

So I made a run to an area that I haven't fished (again) in the twenty-first century. I mean, it is what it is. I tried some different things for a couple of hours (again, I'll explain it all later if I survive this mess) with not much going on. Made a short move, tried something different, nada, then tried another part of the creek and found them. At least some of them.

The problem is I really never could duplicate it. One more day on the water is what I need, but then I'd say the same thing after three days... Been there. I spent about six hours in this one creek. Sad.

So I have a place to start. The water is pretty darn clear on this part of the lake. Head across the main channel and it's less than half the visibility with that weird stain.

I kind of also figured the baitfish out. Kind of. And I burnt exactly eleven gallons of gas these past two days. Even figuring in the fuel efficiency of this 4S Yamaha, it's still a 250 on a twenty-one foot boat. Tell me I don't keep MY baits wet.

Anyway, tomorrow I have business to attend to so I still HAVE a business after playing hooky. Things that HAVE to get done. I also need to get my liability insurance taken care of (a must for this tournament). And then there's the tackle stuff to work on, but that'll be fairly simple- I'll start the day Saturday with four or five rods, and hope to keep it that way. New line on a couple, and sharpening hooks is what's on the agenda.

All in between my running, restaurant work (remember- CHIEF bottle washer), and I still need to find someone to fill in for me Sat & Sun morning with a small project. It never ends.

Hope I don't let ya'll down, but it's myself that I need to take care of. I want to do good, and I should, but I am NOT on enough fish to win this thing... Actually, the bass that I found today, at least the one pattern, should be better Sunday, post cold-front. And that's a good thing.

Thoughts for the day-

It's nicer fishin' when it ain't cold.

Everything on jfly's new Skeeter WORKS. The lids are TIGHT, and you have to actually turn the latches to open them. True story (unlike my old Charger).

It doesn't matter that the water over here is eight degrees colder than over THERE. The food is HERE and that's where the bass are.

The guy who pulled out in front of me, RIGHT in front of me this evening must have left his mind at the Wal Mart. Or he was smokin' Crack. Or maybe he NEEDS to smoke Crack. Dumbass. Thank goodness I still have some reflexes, 'cuz it was close.

And finally- a conversation I had with a guy late this afternoon, after idling 300 yards before I started fishin' by his dock.

The Guy- "Guess you didn't read the sign."

Me- "Sir?"

The Hole- "The sign on the dock, it says (garbled) one hundred feet."

Me- "You mean, no wake for a hundred feet?"

Buttwipe- "No, I mean you fisherman are all the time snagging my boat cover, so you need to stay one hundred feet away."

Dumbfounded me- "Really."

Loser- Yep (garbled) (garbled)... can't read."

Freaked out me- "Sir, I didn't snag your boat cover, and I can fish wherever I want to, do you know that?"

Shirtless tatoo'd old man who doesn't have a clue- "mumble, something or other, fishermen garbled mumble..."

Finally, me- "Well sir- you must be a democrat (he jerks around and stares down the bank at me) and you're still upset that Hillary lost."

He turned purple and stomped into his house, maybe to call the Water Patrol, maybe the Democratic Party, I don't know. And me?

I went back and fished his dock again. And there it was "Stay Back 100 Feet". True story.

So, I'll leave ya'll with this little tidbit, and what I'm a-lookin' for-

Stren_g

Too bad about those crazy dock owners, you were probably a bit more reserved than I'd have been. A fella can understand their concerns, but it kinda comes with having a dock... good lookin bass, I hope you can find a limit of em like that when it's game time!

RDY2GO

Great posts Dale, keep them coming as you have time.

Re: the dock owner(s), on the one hand I can sympathize, if the fishing equivalent of "duffers" have been hanging his dock cover with erratically thrown lures he has a right to be upset.  But, he doesn't own the water either. 

My 2nd time out on my boat I idled down into a channel of the main body that I could tell was going to be "tight" looking for a place to wet a line.  There were multiple docks at the mouth of the channel and a guy sitting in a lawn chair on one.  I waved, he waved back.  About 100 yards past this guys dock I rounded a small bend and could see that there were already three boats fishing the area, I didn't want to bother them so I turned around and idled back out, passing lawn chair guy, who this time threw an absolute hissy fit!  Shaking his fists at me, saying things like dumb a$$ bass fisherman, etc.  I was floored, there was no wake, I was in the middle of the channel, WTF was his problem?

Fishing isn't as friendly as I remember it once was...
Bruce McCrary
Cotton Grove, NC