You use your 3 power rod for spinnerbaits?

Started by basss, May 22, 2018, 10:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basss

The rod says its for spinnerbaits right on it but I don't like the way it feels when I throw spinnerbaits.  The rod is bent quite a bit just reeling it in at a moderate pace.  I don't usually throw anything heavier than 1/2 oz but It feels like its struggling.  I think spinnerbaits need a stronger rod power so I'm debating a 4 or 5 power.

So I guess I have two questions ... first, do you throw spinnerbaits on your 3 power rods or on stronger power rods and if thrown on stronger power rods; what power rod do you use for you spinnerbaits?
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

Mike Cork

My spinnerbaits are generally on a 4 power but it's more because of cover than the baits.

Spinnerbaits, like crankbaits and topwater, can be pulled away from a bass before they have the bait in their mouth. A three power is great at helping prevent this. However, I'd only recommend a 3 power in open water fishing. There are a lot of times when slow rolling a spinnerbait down a ledge or along a rocky point is the key pattern and a three power is perfect for this.

If you have a lot of cover, then a 4 power helps but just don't set the hook too soon. Wait to feel them.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

pjl63

I use a 734 for spinnerbaits, but I don't throw them a lot.

LgMouthGambler

Depends on the size and what kind of drag the bait creates. 1/4oz, sure you could do it. If you are in the 3/8-3/4 range, you might want to go with a 4, maybe even a 5 for the heavier ones.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

basss

Quote from: Mike Cork on May 22, 2018, 10:40:16 AM
... Spinnerbaits, like crankbaits and topwater, can be pulled away from a bass before they have the bait in their mouth. A three power is great at helping prevent this. ...

Good point, had not thought about that.  Luckily for me, I can try the spinner on 4 and 5 power rods since I have those.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider

Princeton_Man

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on May 22, 2018, 12:43:57 PM
Depends on the size and what kind of drag the bait creates. 1/4oz, sure you could do it. If you are in the 3/8-3/4 range, you might want to go with a 4, maybe even a 5 for the heavier ones.
Took the words right out of my mouth.  :) ~c~
I don't throw spinners all that often but depending on the bait, I'll use a 733 or 734.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Gary Dobyns

Great comments. The 733C is big seller for spinnerbaits. I'm surprised at the number of guys that fish 1/4 and 3/8 oz blades. I only fish 1/2 oz and larger so I fish heavier rods. The 734 and even the 735C are very popular models for blades.

SFL BassHunter

734 is excellent for a 1/2oz spinnerbait. Can't imagine throwing on a 3.
I have a Cabelas Arachnid MH that fishes closer to a M, I've tried throwing a spinnerbait on that and 1 too much bend in the rod. 2 I get tired faster, feel like I'm working harder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

basss

Skipped school yesterday and went out for the day, I put the same 1/2 oz. blade on the 735 and it was like night and day.  The drag and feel was way better.  Didn't try it on the 734 yet so I'll try that next to get a comparison.

1995 Gheenoe Highsider