Boat covers ? why not use a large, heavy duty plastic tarp?

Started by SenkoSam, March 11, 2015, 05:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SenkoSam

I have an old Ranger 12' bass boat and the boat cover that came with it deteriorated years ago.

RushFan

If it ain't broke!  No mold, mildew, musty issues carry on.

Wizard

A lot of anglers want a tight cover not because of water but to keep critters out of the boat. A raccoon that spends time in your boat can(and will) detroy the interior. They will tear up seats, carpet and eat wiring. Mice and other small mammals do damage as well. For keeping out the rain, a tarp works nicely. What year is that Ranger? I fished for them for a long time and am originally from Flippin, Ark. I love to see pictures of older Ranger boats.

SenkoSam

I don't have them stored.

RushFan

I just replaced a 6 year old original Tracker cover with an aftermarket "semi custom" cover.  Not as nice and in fact I liked how it closed of the stern nicely!  During my offseason I put a bunch of mothballs on a plastic lid in all compartments and under the console.  Keeps the critters out.

Wizard

Frank, that year sounds like Ranger's 15 ft. Rawhide boat. A great little rig.

SenkoSam

A real pain in this model are changing livewell pump

Lee Smith

What's that white stuff all around your boat?  ;) 

Nice ride btw!!  ~c~
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Wizard

The 330 series was Ranger's first "fast" bass boat. It was the entry boat to Ranger's 300 series.  I believe it was 17 ft. The rest of t he 300 series was 17' 10" to almost 21'. I had a 354, 374, 363 and a 392. An angler is still running my old 374 at LOZ. I got it in 1992 so it is 25 yrs. old and still looking good.

Polaris425

Aurora is having a clean out sale, getting rid of old covers they have laying around...

I just picked up a dust/shipping cover for my Sabre (the cover's actually for the P-IV) to throw over it in the garage... Got a pretty dang good deal on it. Shipping included. Will be a little big but, I just needed something to throw over it to keep the dust off when I'm out there working on/sanding lures.

I've been using tarps but... they can be a bit aggravating.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

SenkoSam

That white stuff is something I'll be happy to see gone by next week.

Kris

I am presently using a Harbor Freight blue tarp to cover my Ouachita 16 footer and it fits well.  It covers from the winch stand and over the golf cart motor.  I believe it is 19 foot long and not sure how wide.  Because it has the pedestal seats the snow has not affected it.  I am really happy with it.
My Grumman has a Harbor Master (Walmart) cover on it.  It had a Harbor Freight cover on it two years ago but I got a really good deal on this one.  It doesn't fit as nicely as I would like but it does a satisfactory job.  I bought two of those support poles but it still puddles water in a couple of places. 
I might get a cover made for this one but that will be down the road sometime.  Kris 
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

grizzly1530

Another good thing to use is a big vinyl sign material like they have outside stores and stuff for sales. My dad got some from a guy that had a car dealership, and used it to cover one of those round top tarp garage things. He replaced the original tarp in 6 months because it was junk. The sign material has been on there for 15 years...

Beartic87

I've been using the same tarp for about 4 years with no issues!

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Beartic87 on February 07, 2024, 08:02:04 AMI've been using the same tarp for about 4 years with no issues!
Don't know if you realized it or not but this thread is 9 years old. There may be some more recent threads on the subject.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire