Check Your Trolling Motor Prop

Started by D.W. Verts, August 23, 2021, 09:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.W. Verts

Removing your prop on your trolling motor periodically is a great idea-

This is from just a little while ago. If left untouched, this stuff can eventually eat through a seal and waste your motor. In all fairness, I knew that I got into this line the other day. It was in some timber that anglers could reach from shore, and I pulled a bunch out before giving up on it right then and there (I didn't have the mandatory 1/2" wrench, although I did have the screwdriver) . There's some monofilament, but the majority of it is really light BRAID. And it was very, very tough, also. And there you go.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Mike Cork

For use down here cypress moss will also do this. It's a wise idea to check under your prop at least monthly.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

chadyp

Thank you for reminder. Also goes for those with peddle kayaks.

Donald Garner

Dale tks for sharing this.  Carl and I were out a week or so and we had to pull his prop off his outboard.  There were several wraps of braid on the prop shaft.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

D.W. Verts

As bad as mono is (that's the welded "ring" in the picture, covered in moss) I believe that braid is probably worse. There's also some string crap in lily pads that will shut you down on the spot. You'll clear it (unwind it) but it sometimes leaves trash behind that cannot be good for the motor. It comes out very, very hard.

Dale

FishaHallic

I actually just cleared mine today, no line but did have some stringy weeds under the prop.  Question though, should that prop shaft move in and out maybe a 1/4 to 1/2"?  My trolling motor has always had that "play" on the shaft, still runs alright just wondering.

Thanks
17' Grizzly w/40hp etec, micro powerpole,  Lowrance Elite 9 TI 2  9lbs 15oz PB     2021 winner of Ted and Dave's spring classic
                            TRUTH MATTERS

D.W. Verts

If it's running there's no water in the lower unit, so yes- you should be fine.

That end play is "thrust", and I've always found a bunch in my trolling motors. Too much on the outboard, now, THERE'S a problem. A loud and expensive one, too.

Dale

FishaHallic

Quote from: D.W. Verts on August 26, 2021, 10:53:32 PM
If it's running there's no water in the lower unit, so yes- you should be fine.

That end play is "thrust", and I've always found a bunch in my trolling motors. Too much on the outboard, now, THERE'S a problem. A loud and expensive one, too.

Dale

Thanks for the reply Dale, after already shopping some trolling motors a month or so ago I know finding the right one would be tough right now.  I'll use it till it drops or I find the right motor for me.
17' Grizzly w/40hp etec, micro powerpole,  Lowrance Elite 9 TI 2  9lbs 15oz PB     2021 winner of Ted and Dave's spring classic
                            TRUTH MATTERS