Best quality fishing rod?

Started by Herdbull, December 29, 2008, 03:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herdbull

With all the new rods hitting the market over the past few years, in your opinion, what is the best fishing rod for the $$ and why do you think so?

beast96z

Shimano Crucial. Stellar sensitivity for the $ spent and you can not beat a no questions asked, over the counter warranty. Break one under just about any circumstance and get a new one the same day!

Baron49

You opened a can of worms here....get ready for the avalanche of replies.

For me..St. Croix Avids and Legends and American Rodsmiths are the best I have found for the money.

Ron Fogelson

Stump bumper

I too am a big Shamino fan but more for the Claurus series on most applications other than bottom bouncing applications. The IM7 on the Clauris rods have a really nice bend and the same across the counter warranty as the Crucial for half the price.

For jiggy heads and drop shots I do prefer the Crucial but I think they are over kill for slinging cranks against the bank, or throwing jerk baits.

If I could get away with getting as many $120 rods as I can $60 rods I would, but I came home with a 7'10 M Clauris tonight I had to buy since it was on sale for $39 and got in trouble for that. :(  I tried to explain I didn't spend $40 I saved $20. :-*
Beaver Lake  Arkansas

Dug

Of all the rods I have ever held in my hand, my E21 carrotstix mh 7'3" is THE most sensitive rod I have ever fished with and it cost me 120 bucks on ebay. I liked it so much - I bought the 6'9" parabolic model. Again on ebay, this one for 122.00 shipped.

Dug
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

JEVSkeeter

Grandt Rods.

http://www.grandtrods.com/

You would be surprised who they build blanks for. Jim private labels over 80 rods in the US today. Highest quality graphite bar none, and they come with a life time warranty that covers everything. You do have to ship the rod back with a $25.00 check but you get a brand new rod back.

Rods are just like cars, what one guy loves another guy hates so don't fall for Ford and Chevy arguments. Do your research, beg, borrow, or buy one, and try them all out. Then, make the choice that's right for you and the style of fishing you do.

Good luck!

James 4:8,
Skeeter Boats Demo Team,
Yamaha, Minn Kota,
Humminbird, Navionics, Luck"E"Strike, Stay-N-Charge, BassWishes Tackle

Dug

Grandt rods are pretty nice. I have an all american spiral wrapped that I bought 2nd hand and it's one of my best rods.

Dug
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

-Shawn-

I would have to say Crucial for the money.

but I really like the acadias just as well for general purpose. 

Go to the store and pick up a rod and hold it. Put the tip of it to some ones voicebox and have them hum.  This is a great test of the sensitivity.  Everyone will like a different feel in a rod.  I spent hours trying to decide my next purchase just playing with all the different rods,  Crucial, cumara, carrotstix, Gloomis, Kistler and others.  I am down to the cumara or kistler, They are just more sensetive than the others for me.  The g loomis is sensetive too but I have fished with a few and I just don't like the feel.

I think I will go with the cumara because of the ease of warranty.

topcat

I love the   G.Loomis......Falcon Cara's.....and the Crucial rods..... you get one of the rods listed and you have a top of the line rod......the Verdict is still out on the Carrot stix.......

Topcat

silversalmon

You need to go to the store and test drive one.  Do you buy a car without first driving it, same goes with rods.  Any decent tackle shop/fishing store will let you put a dead weight on it and give it a toss or two, I know Sportsmans Warehouse does  8)  Does not mean you have to buy it from them, just test it, then find the best deals, our sponsors have great deals on higher end rods  :-*

United States Air Force 1994-present

texlwedge

No question here! Kistler Rods! Talk about light, sensitive, durable, and I could go on and on. For the dollar, the new Carbon Steel line of rods are the best value for a moderately priced spinning or casting rod. You can check out all the Kistler lineup at www.kistlerrods.com I have two of the Carbon Steel, three of the Magnesium and one of the LTA line. Believe me "Fishing Never Felt so Good" (Kistler quote)
A bad day on the lake beats any day at my office!
Member B.A.S.S.   ABA Chapter 119
Pro Staff Deep South Rods
Pro Staff Minda Lures
Pro Staff Azuma Fishing KaRu Lures

callmeKVD

check out the new st. croix mojo rods... for $100 and the warranty that st. croix has, they're a great buy! all the features of really expensive rods without the price.

JEVSkeeter

Quote from: Dug on December 29, 2008, 09:47:13 PM
Grandt rods are pretty nice. I have an all american spiral wrapped that I bought 2nd hand and it's one of my best rods.

Dug

Dug,

It's still under warranty........

Skeeter Boats Demo Team,
Yamaha, Minn Kota,

Dug

Thanks JEV, that's great to know.  I have looked at the website several times to see if they sell anymore spiral wrapped rods, but just can't tell.

Dug

finfinder

Dug   i like what you said about the E21 Carrott stix and ordered one on ebay myself today.  $125 and no local sales tax !!

I have been using St Croix Avids and G Lomis GLX so I am looking forward trying one of these out.

finfinder

Dug

I think you will be very please with it, but if (a big if I think) you aren't please don't blame me, but either way let us know what you think.  :). What model did you order?

Dug

finfinder

Don't see me being not pleased as I have hear many good things about the Carrot stix.  But I will not blame you if I
don't.  lo lo

I bought the CLTX661M-C  6' 6" medium. 

Dug

Haven"t tried that model (yet!)

Dug

cwenbass

I hate to say it, but best bang for the buck are the BPS Extremes. They are pretty sensative and hold up well. I own loomis's or is it loomi? I have a kistler, crucial, Daiwa rods, etc. But when those Extremes go on salle for $60, I always pick one up.

Dug

That's alright Cwen, your entitled to your opinion, and if I lived closed than 3 hours from a BPS I might be tempted, but having tried the carrot stix I am VERY satisfied with the quality for the dollar I got.

Dug

JEVSkeeter

Quote from: Dug on January 05, 2009, 08:58:55 AM
Thanks JEV, that's great to know.  I have looked at the website several times to see if they sell anymore spiral wrapped rods, but just can't tell.

Dug

Dug,

I'll be working with Jim at Fredricksburg and Chicago next week. Let me know what you're looking at and I'll follow up for you.

Thanks.

Skeeter Boats Demo Team,
Yamaha, Minn Kota,

Dug

I am actually set right now...  I was just curious to see if they offered any other spiral wrapped rods or is that a custom job??

Dug

hesjustbassin

Quote from: Dug on January 08, 2009, 10:48:10 AM
I am actually set right now...  I was just curious to see if they offered any other spiral wrapped rods or is that a custom job??

Dug

If you want spiral wrapped rods, it's very easy to convert them yourself. And, if you're reusing the same guides, it costs next to nothing.
'Insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting the different results' Albert Einstein.

Siebert Outdoors

Best bang for the buck IMO is a Loomis IMX.  One of the best rods out there.  Best is the GLX but $$$.

My other favorites are the St. Croix's Legends Elites.