Lake Hickory 7/26

Started by geneinnc, July 26, 2021, 11:37:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geneinnc

I was in the boat come 0530 to make a run upriver to Gunpowder  creek, the biggest on Hickory. Water was up to 81.3 and we are still in the doldrums with nothing more an occasional breeze.

I stopped at the bridge to scan with Panoptix and saw a couple of pan fish and something just wasn't right. At first light I saw it, bubbles everywhere in the dark brown water. Yep...Lake Hickory is starting to turn over.

I won't bore you with what I threw, but it was one or two of most everything. I couldn't even get a Warmouth to hit my Ned rig!

I fought the fight until 11:30 and parked the Nitro. I'll be back out tomorrow unless it storms. I've got to get back in tournament shape and I have a ways to go!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

Thanks for the update on the lake. Seems early for a turnover, but nature has it's reasons I'm sure.

You are entered into the Dobyns Champion Series rod giveaway, post more reports for more entries
click here for giveaway rules

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

geneinnc

Anyone with tips during turnover I'm open.

BassmanRudy

Never heard of a turnover this early in the year. Was it across the lake or just this creek that you saw the bubbles?

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Bud Kennedy

Gene, you must have something else goin on there.  You are not gonna see any turnover until about mid to late October before it is finished.  All depends upon when those first cold fronts start moving in to change the balance of the water temperature.  In the past the Lake Norman Rally was held the last week of October and many times the turnover had not been completed and a lot of cloudy water remained.

geneinnc

It was every where in the upper half. That creek is a couple miles and it was a tannin tint and small bubbles and rotted leaves everywhere. I'll get a picture tomorrow.