Favorite Swim Jig(s)?

Started by J.W., September 08, 2023, 07:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.W.

Got a favorite?

What are the things you look for in a swim jig?

Do you throw different ones for different types of cover?

I've never really settled on one I just love, so I was thinking about trying a few others.

D.W. Verts

Oh man.

I never understood the "swim jig" thing. I mean, we've done it in MO forever, especially around docks. Skipping them under platforms and walkways and such is an Ozark thang for sure. Swimming them thru the timber on Table Rock and Truman lake is how I grew up. But I don't get the "swim jig" thing...

What I mean is, I use basically the same jig for most everything. I've poured my own modified Arkie-style jigs from a Do It mold that I've had since the early 80's. I've caught thousands of bass and won thousands of dollars using these jigs. So if I wanted a shad jig to swim around a boat dock, I just tied one up in white, or grey (don't tell anyone that please).

Sure, the trailers I used for a "swim jig" might be different, but I'll never be able to recount all of the bass I've caught after flippin' a jig adorned with an Uncle Josh Pork Frog into a brushpile, only to catch the bass as I "swam" the bait back to the boat. A "flippin" jig, not a "swim" jig.

See what I'm saying?

I looked at those "Poison" head molds one time but really couldn't see the need for them. Other than being so gosh-awful PRETTY that is, the need just didn't make any sense.

I have over the years poured me some pure "swim jigs" with a lighter, and possibly a colored, weed guard, (I had a bunch of Blue that I used up one time) but that's about it.

See what I mean. For me, complicated sucks. If it works for you, then great. Not judging, unless you LIKE it complicated. Then it gets weird for me.

Also, a few years back I wasted (er, invested) the money on a football jig mold and 200 4/0 and 5/0 hooks. The hooks are junk, with no barb (actually I bought some modern flippin'/swim jig hooks that were the same deal) that wouldn't hold a bass for squat. My Arkie-style heads have caught bass for me to 30 or 40 feet of water over the years, and while the heaviest I have is only 1/2 ounce, still- they've WORKED. So the football head thing is kind of weird, too.

So, a "swim jig", for me, is maybe and probably also a flippin' jig. A shad or a bluegill patter skirt, maybe a different trailer (and not forgetting all the bass I've caught on a crawdad-patterned jig with that pork frog trailer over the years, "swimming it" back to the boat) is what defines a swim jig. For me.

I haven't had my breakfast yet. Maybe my blood sugar is low. But I've seen discussions like these since I came back to serious fishin' a few years back, and I've always wanted to have my say. I don't get complicated. I don't like complicated. But I shore do love to fish a swim/flippin'/casting/jigging jig. Yup.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

J.W.

Dale I get it, I don't throw a bunch of different jigs either. Honestly other than a Chatterbait, which I kind of see as a whole other type of lure, a swim jig is about the only jig I throw much of because if I'm flipping, it's usually not a jig. For flipping I am usually putting some soft plastic on a flipping hook, weighted with a flipping weight.

Wizard

I also will swim most any jig head style but that's because I've become lazy. I've long believed that the balance of a jig is important to it resembling a forage fish. Some head styles cause the lure to rise and fall as it swims to the boat. I've never seen forage swim that way and neither has a bass. The jig head that best resembles a swimming forage fish is the cone head jig. Cone head for swimming and other head styles for rock, weed and timber. JMO

Wizard

D.W. Verts

Quote from: J.W. on September 08, 2023, 11:21:38 AMDale I get it, I don't throw a bunch of different jigs either. Honestly other than a Chatterbait, which I kind of see as a whole other type of lure, a swim jig is about the only jig I throw much of because if I'm flipping, it's usually not a jig. For flipping I am usually putting some soft plastic on a flipping hook, weighted with a flipping weight.

Oh J.W., buddy. You need to try fippin' jig with a big 'ol chunk of plastic on it sometime. It's a whole different profile than a soft plastic bait by itself. Do it in a blue/purple/black (never brown or green in your part of the country, trust me). Brother, it's a different world sometimes.

Dale

D.W. Verts

Oh yeah, since about half the time (or more) when I'm fishing a swim jig, I'm skipping that thing under those docks, I think my flatter Arkie-style head may do that better than a cone head (swim jig-style) head. Maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm0IswQVUSY&list=PLcCa45NyuFseKT9LjTGbS4KQPC59M_4So&index=78

Feel free to skip to the last part- that's where the SKIPPIN' is...

Dale

Donald Garner

My favorite Swim Jig is the Strike King Hack Attack 3/8oz "woops"y Shad Color.  I'll rig it with (3) different trailers depending on the structure I'm fishing.

Swim Jig with Curly tail grub > Standing timber; Stumps flats etc.

Swim Jig with Sweet Beaver creature bait > Gravel / rocky banks; Bushes; Lilly Pads etc.

Swim Jig with Swim Bait Soft Plastic > Clear (Nothing) Banks / Open water schooling fish etc.

NOTE: When I started bass fishing back in the 70's (we / everybody) all fished with just jigs like Dale and Wizard mentioned.  There were places like Truman Lake I fished only Arkie Type Jigs cause that's what Marvin Deckard (Guide on Truman) told me to fish with  ;)   When I moved to Louisiana and started fishing the lakes there Toledo Bend and Big Sam Rayburn over in East Texas.  The jig to use there was the Lonnie Stanley Brand  ;) 

It didn't matter what color you threw as long as it was Black / Blue with a # 11 Uncle Josh Pork chunk attached.  You could switch up and throw a Brown / Orange with # 11 Uncle Josh Pork chunk also.  This was dependent on water color and season.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

FlatsNBay

Don, that Strike King is a great jig!

I had the opportunity to do a media trip with Jason Christie for an Elite Series tournament on the Harris Chain in Florida. He put on a clinic on the Booyah Mobster swim jig with a Yum trailer. He made a believer out of me, and I bought a bunch. I really like them and have done very well on them. The Mobster doesn't have as heavy weed guard as the Hack Attack but is an excellent all-around swim jig. 

If I was fishing very heavy cover, I'd probably go with the Hack Attack if the Mobster is hanging up.

I tried making my own but never really felt confidence in them so I'd rather go the brand name route.

J.W.

Quote from: D.W. Verts on September 08, 2023, 12:55:47 PM
Quote from: J.W. on September 08, 2023, 11:21:38 AMDale I get it, I don't throw a bunch of different jigs either. Honestly other than a Chatterbait, which I kind of see as a whole other type of lure, a swim jig is about the only jig I throw much of because if I'm flipping, it's usually not a jig. For flipping I am usually putting some soft plastic on a flipping hook, weighted with a flipping weight.

Oh J.W., buddy. You need to try fippin' jig with a big 'ol chunk of plastic on it sometime. It's a whole different profile than a soft plastic bait by itself. Do it in a blue/purple/black (never brown or green in your part of the country, trust me). Brother, it's a different world sometimes.

Dale
I have some but hardly ever throw 'em. Maybe I ought to dust them off.

Smallie_Stalker

We have Draconian level lead laws here in MA. Since I can't throw my favorite NuTech jigs anymore I throw non-lead versions from either Siebert Outdoors or a company local to me called Lead Free Bass Jigs.

I've gotten to know the owner at Lead Free Bass Jigs so they get the lions share of usage from me.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

J.W.

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on September 09, 2023, 03:12:04 PMWe have Draconian level lead laws here in MA. Since I can't throw my favorite NuTech jigs anymore I throw non-lead versions from either Siebert Outdoors or a company local to me called Lead Free Bass Jigs.

I've gotten to know the owner at Least Free Bass Jigs so they get the lions share of usage from me.

Do you feel like the tungsten ones come through the grass a little easier, with the smaller profile and everything?

Hobious

I like the Megabass version for the additional flashy-blade.  Uozu or something.  Great baitkeeper. And it's the only swim jig I've been successful with. So there is a confidence thing.

J.W.

Quote from: Hobious on September 11, 2023, 09:17:43 AMSo there is a confidence thing.
That's huge.

For better or worse we often go to what gives us confidence. I'm trying to learn to break out of my comfort zone, not just with lures but also locations on the water and techniques. It's a struggle sometimes.

bigjim5589

I pour the jigs that I use, and don't really have any single favorite. Like others have said, I've swam various styles, and before I had ever heard the term swimjig.

I haven't poured anything in a good while, so here's some I've made and had probably posted here on UB in the past.  These are not all what are typically called a swimjig, but all are types I would swim in various situations.
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: bigjim5589 on September 11, 2023, 12:59:59 PMI pour the jigs that I use, and don't really have any single favorite. Like others have said, I've swam various styles, and before I had ever heard the term swimjig.

I haven't poured anything in a good while, so here's some I've made and had probably posted here on UB in the past.  These are not all what are typically called a swimjig, but all are types I would swim in various situations.

I can say that several of those swim jigs depicted are REALLY good!! Just saying.  ~shade

J.W.

Lou, those look great. Haven't gotten into lure making yet, even though my son really wants to.

bigjim5589

QuoteI can say that several of those swim jigs depicted are REALLY good!! Just saying.  ~shade

Thanks Lou!  :)

J.W. it can be a great way to keep a kid ( or yourself) involved in the sport year around if there's any off season. Plus learn the how & why of what makes lures work. I started tying flies at an early age and later got into pouring jigs, since tying just goes right with some types of jigs anyway. I've been at it now for more than 50 years.

The trouble is, tackle making becomes a whole new way to spend, and can get quite involved and expensive if you let it. I only pour lead, never got into plastic baits, wood lures, or painting blank lures, all of which can take a lot of investment in funds.

I always recommend, to start slow and start with only one or two molds for lures you know you'll use often. Then add as you want.  ;) 
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: J.W. on September 11, 2023, 07:20:11 AM
Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on September 09, 2023, 03:12:04 PMWe have Draconian level lead laws here in MA. Since I can't throw my favorite NuTech jigs anymore I throw non-lead versions from either Siebert Outdoors or a company local to me called Lead Free Bass Jigs.

I've gotten to know the owner at Least Free Bass Jigs so they get the lions share of usage from me.

Do you feel like the tungsten ones come through the grass a little easier, with the smaller profile and everything?
Some of the ones I have aren't tungsten. But to be honest I don't notice any difference in one being easier to come through the green stuff.

But the smaller size of tungsten does make it easier to match the hatch to smaller baitfish.

Personally I'm more concerned with the quality of the hook and the weed guard if it has one.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Dink Dawg

I'm a Siebert Outdoors guy.  I throw both his head styles. Mike's stuff as good as it gets.  The 6th Sense Devine is also great when you need a screw lock keeper.

chrisD46

For swim jigs I like : Dirty Jigs , Nichols Saber , Booyah Mobster and 6th Sense Devine . 4X4 and Lethal Weapon II & III have been good as well (all mostly in 3/8th oz. with some 1/4 oz. added for more shallow or slow retrieve applications.

Oldfart9999

I've poured Flt Eye Arkie and Poison Tails, either make good swim jigs, the Poison Tails come through grass better.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

skidemn

Quote from: bigjim5589 on September 11, 2023, 12:59:59 PMI pour the jigs that I use, and don't really have any single favorite. Like others have said, I've swam various styles, and before I had ever heard the term swimjig.

Wow, these look great! Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk