Fishing in the Rain

Started by FlatsNBay, June 01, 2023, 04:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

How many of you like fishing in the rain? What are your favorite techniques?

When I was a kid, I begged my parents to let me go fishing when it was raining. They thought that I was crazy. My favorite technique for back then was a prop bait, specifically a Tiny Torpedo. Just cast it out and work it back causing a disturbance on the water and Boom, fish on!

Now a days, the rain calls for one technique for me, a spinnerbait! The rain drops on the water along with low light conditions is when the spinnerbait excels for me. I match the color and blade type to the clarity of the water. For clear water I like more translucent colors along with double willow blades. I tend to work it faster so that they cannot get a good look at the bait coming. It's more of a reaction strike. For dirtier water, I prefer a white or chartreuse color with either willow/Colorado blade combination or double Colorado blades. For some areas in Florida, I like a gold wild shiner color too.

Let it Rain!!

Larry Francis

When I was young and Bulletproof I would but now try and avoid at all cost. Cranks and traps have been my go to.
Molon Labe

Donald Garner

I'm like Larry here.  I don't fish in the rain much anymore  ~shade  But when I did I'll have a spinnerbait tied on both in a Willowleaf and a Double Colorado.  I like Gold Blades with either a Bleeding Shad Skirt or Firetiger / Crawfish colored skirt.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: FlatsNBay on June 01, 2023, 04:07:34 PM
How many of you like fishing in the rain? What are your favorite techniques?

When I was a kid, I begged my parents to let me go fishing when it was raining. They thought that I was crazy. My favorite technique for back then was a prop bait, specifically a Tiny Torpedo. Just cast it out and work it back causing a disturbance on the water and Boom, fish on!

Now a days, the rain calls for one technique for me, a spinnerbait! The rain drops on the water along with low light conditions is when the spinnerbait excels for me. I match the color and blade type to the clarity of the water. For clear water I like more translucent colors along with double willow blades. I tend to work it faster so that they cannot get a good look at the bait coming. It's more of a reaction strike. For dirtier water, I prefer a white or chartreuse color with either willow/Colorado blade combination or double Colorado blades. For some areas in Florida, I like a gold wild shiner color too.

Let it Rain!!
I love fishing in the rain!  It breaks up the surface light and gets the fish active and roaming.

I ascribe to the Gary Klein method of fishing in the rain. Basically if boils down to just two parts - fish shallow, and fish fast with non-chrome finished baits.

Crankbaits ( both lipped and lipless), spinnerbaits and buzzbaits have all produced well for me. I usually go for a flat white or chartreuse bait, and if it's got blades I want those to be painted too.

This simple approach has increased my "rainy day" catches exponentially since I started using it in the late 90's.

Given the choice between fishing in the rain or the sun I'd choose the rain every time!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

big g

Over the years I have been out in the rain many times in the boat.  A light to moderate rain has been productive many times, but a gully washer has never improved the situation and often shuts it down completely.   I believe the water PH can get screwed up for a while, and temp changes can happen quickly, especially in the heat of summer.  A long time ago I was at Holiday Park in summer, surface water temps above 80*,  a sudden heavy rain had dead fish floating on the surface within 60 minutes of the storm's start.  Cold rain water  sank to the bottom of the canal quickly, and push poor O2 water from the depths, to the surface.  The fish suffocated from lack of O2in the poor quality water.  A rapid inversion of the water column!  Thousands of dead fish everywhere.  The only ones happy were the gators, X-Mas had come early.  It was one of the craziest thing I ever saw mother nature do.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Smallie_Stalker

Our temps dropped 33 degrees overnight and it's been raining since about 5 am. I was supposed to be fishing with my BIL today but he called it off. We're gonna shoot for next weekend.

Despite my post above and in retrospect that was probably the smartest thing to do. With my balance and mobility issues navigating a wet shoreline would likely not be a good idea.

I love fishing in the rain but as I age and my other health issues get worse the cold is no longer doable. Cold AND rainy is just not something worth risking anymore.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Wizard

I'm a one trick pony in the rain. A grayish color on a grub or Trap fished dead-stick on the bottom. A bass swim to within a few feet of the lure and watch it laying on the bottom. After a minute or so, snap the lure from the bottom and fast retrieve it. If a bass was watching, he would have struck it quickly. No bite? Continue the retrieve and tap the line with a finger to jump the lure.
This tactic is true old school with my grandpa teaching me in the late 1950's with a sinking Mirr-O-Lure.

Wizard

apenland01

Winter rain, yes.  Monsoon rains in the late summer and fall, no thanks.  The rain almost always comes with wind and lightening, which is a no go for me...

Hobious

rain.  any bait.  i like soft plastics, but i think reaction baits are where i start.   chatterbait, etc.