Anyone fish for bass using ultralight jigs and 6" plastic worms?

Started by SenkoSam, August 30, 2023, 08:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SenkoSam

Soft plastics are mainly what I cast for all species. Generally the lures are 3" or smaller on 1/32 oz. to 1/16 oz. ball head jigs. But last year I tried using light jigs with 6-7" plastic worms without curl tails. The result was more fish than I expected from the rig and in more area types.

Shown is a 6" Softie Worm rigged on a 1/32 oz jig with #2 hook. A shortened worm (shown) is rigged using a shorter hook. The action when twitch with the rod tip I can only describe it as a zig-zag-whip with pauses. Fish SLAM it!

Gary Y's Kut Tail worm is another excellent one to use with this presentation.

Smallie_Stalker

I've been known to go down as low as 1/64th of an ounce depending on what I was trying to achieve.

One thing I used to do a lot of was throw an 18 inch floating worm on a 1/16 or 1/8 ounce head to imitate a snake swimming through pads or over top of grass. The weight was just enough to pull the head under and make it look like the "snake" was looking for, or at, something.

That 18 inch worm didn't stop some over zealous perch from hitting it either.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

FlatsNBay

J.W.

If they made weedless jig heads that small, or at least some with an offset that would let you "Tex-pose," I'd pick them up more often. I know they work, because we've all accidentally caught bass on crappie jigs before. We just have so much vegetation that exposed hooks are kind of a pain unless you're fishing offshore.

SenkoSam

QuoteThat 18 inch worm didn't stop some over zealous perch from hitting it either.

That. I'd like to see!

Quotewe've all accidentally caught bass on crappie jigs before.
Caught 6 bass on light jigs & small plastics along with sunfish, yellow and white perch.

Smallie_Stalker

QuoteThat. I'd like to see!

If we had smartphones back in the 90' s I could show you some interesting ( and to me comical) pictures.

Once during a tournament I was throwing a huge Spinnerbait - 1 oz. with oversized blades to slow roll it in deep water. It had a 5 inch double tail grub on the back. I don't know how, but a bluegill about 7 or 8 inches long managed to grab the stinger hook. The fact that it tried to attack something that big made me laugh and wonder at the same time.

On another tournament day I had a yellow perch so big it had my Norman DLN crankbait completely down it's gullet. It fought so hard I honestly thought I had hooked into a good sized smallmouth.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

SenkoSam

Nature surprises, no doubt!