Barren River Lake Bass Fishing League 30 May 14

Started by Mike Cork, June 02, 2014, 03:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

SCOTTSVILLE, Ky. (June 2, 2014) – Dwight Fox of Gainesboro, Tenn., weighed in a five-bass limit totaling 20 pounds, 14 ounces Saturday to win the fourth Walmart Bass Fishing League Mountain Division tournament of 2014 on Barren River Lake. For his victory, Fox earned $4,915.

Fox said that he caught around 30 bass and at least nine keepers on a day he described as "picture perfect."

"I fished deep pockets up in the river in about 4 to 8 feet of water," said Fox. "I won a BFL here in 2011 doing the same thing, but in a different part of the lake."

"I was fishing chunk rock banks with a jig," explained Fox. "I hopped the jig down the banks and sometimes the fish would almost jerk the rod out of my hands when they bit.

"I came in early to weigh-in because the water I was fishing was 85 degrees, and I wanted to make sure my fish stayed alive," finished Fox. "I was the second person to weigh in and I think that made the difference. All of my fish were alive, and I only won by a few ounces."

Fox said that he used a ½-ounce green Killer Bass Baits Killer Jig with a Zoom Super Chunk and a green-pumpkin-colored Zoom Brush Hog with chartreuse-dyed tentacles to go back over certain key stretches of bank.

Rounding out the top 10 pros were:

2nd:   Shane Winchester, Glasgow, Ky., five bass, 20-7, $2,458
            3rd:   Michael Emberton, Tompkinsville, Ky., five bass, 18-7, $1,640
            4th:    Michael Morrison, Georgetown, Ky., five bass, 17-15, $1,065
            4th:    Mike Williams, Lancaster, Ky., five bass, 17-15, $1,065
            6th:    Flint Fivecoait, Corbin, Ky., five bass, 15-3, $901
            7th:    Phillip Haley, Russellville, Ky., five bass, 15-1, $819
            8th:    Paul Lewis, Richmond, Ky., five bass, 12-14, $737 + $300 Evinrude Bonus
            9th:    Josh Bolen, Wayland, Ky., five bass, 14-6, $655
            10th:  Jeff Coots, Yeaddiss, Ky., five bass, 13-15, $573

Complete results can be found at FLWOutdoors.com.

J.P. Sims of Cookeville, Tenn., weighed in a five-bass limit totaling 14 pounds, 4 ounces Saturday to win $2,458 in the co-angler division.

Rounding out the top 10 co-anglers were:

2nd:   Kelly Poynter, Parksville, Ky., five bass, 13-15, $1,229
            3rd:   Karl Woods, Maineville, Ohio, five bass, 12-13, $817
            4th:    Michael Morris, McKee, Ky., five bass, 12-9, $573
            5th:    Johnny Taylor, Dandridge, Tenn., five bass, 12-1, $492
            6th:    Rodney Bridgman, Monticello, Ky., five bass, 11-10, $451
            7th:    Dwight Coontz, Stanford, Ky., five bass, 11-9, $389
            7th:    Travis Smith, Corbin, Ky., five bass, 11-9, $389
            9th:    Kibbee McCoy, Crossville, Tenn., five bass, 11-7, $328
            10th: Tony Ervin, Glasgow, Ky., five bass, 11-2, $287

The top 40 boaters and 40 co-anglers based on point standings will qualify for the Oct. 9-11 Regional Championship on Lake Cherokee in Morristown, Tenn. Boaters will compete for a top award of a Ranger Z518C with a 200-horsepower Evinrude or Mercury outboard and a Chevy Silverado, while co-anglers will fish for a new Ranger Z518C with a 200-horsepower Evinrude or Mercury outboard.

The BFL is a 24-division circuit devoted to weekend anglers, with 120 tournaments throughout the season, five in each division. The top 40 boaters and co-anglers from each division qualify for a regional tournament and compete to finish in the top six, which then qualifies them for one of the longest-running championships in all of competitive bass fishing – the Walmart BFL All-American presented by Chevy. The 2014 BFL All-American is being held June 5-7 on Wilson Lake in Florence, Ala. Top winners in the BFL can move up to the Rayovac FLW Series or even the Walmart FLW Tour.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Donald Garner

Mike, tks for posting this.  Its been a long time since I fished Barren River Lake.  My parents lived in Bowling Green and I made regular trips down there while stationed at Ft. Knox Ky.

Its one pretty lake for sure.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard