cheap froggin and punchin rod/reel combo

Started by BubbaDbassin, August 09, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbaDbassin

Since I am a fulltime student, money is tough and am looking for a cheap yet effective froggin rod for my topwater obsessions. Any suggestions?

cport

Around here, you need to define cheap lol. Set your price range, there are so many knowledgeable anglers here you will get plenty of responses.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

BubbaDbassin

West6550

For a frog all you really need is a good back bone. I don't know of any for both at that price. But if you have an extra reel. Get a 7'6" Abu Veritas MH online. It will work for both and are about $75 several places.

If you don't have the money. Save for a few more weeks then get one.

I say this from experience of buying cheap then just buying something else when it broke.

fishandkamp

I think you will need to look used to make that happen.

LgMouthGambler

Whatever you do with the reel, make sure it has a metal frame to hold up to the high stress a frog setup will go through. West has a good point on the Veritas rod. For the money it's hard to beat.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

cport

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 10, 2017, 04:50:17 AM
Whatever you do with the reel, make sure it has a metal frame to hold up to the high stress a frog setup will go through. West has a good point on the Veritas rod. For the money it's hard to beat.

<")))>{
Another Abu endorsement?  Seriously, did the aliens probe you?

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: cport on August 10, 2017, 06:39:57 AM
Another Abu endorsement?  Seriously, did the aliens probe you?

I get crap for being brand racist. I get crap for being brand equal opportunity. I feel like Im a politician now.  ~roflmao
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SFL BassHunter

Cheaper than the Veritas is the Berkley Lightning Rod. These rods are really good for the money. Between 29-39 dollars. They have plenty of backbone and are good for frog. They have one downside, they are fairly heavy compared to higher priced rods. If that doesn't bother you then the lightning rod is my suggestion since you are on a strict budget.

The reel, that will be a tougher one. I agree with LMG about getting a reel with a metal frame. I've used graphite and carbon (whatever its called) and they flex too much. Unfortunately I think this is going to put you over your price range.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

cport

Quote from: rickdelprado on August 10, 2017, 07:18:49 AM
Cheaper than the Veritas is the Berkley Lightning Rod. These rods are really good for the money. Between 29-39 dollars. They have plenty of backbone and are good for frog. They have one downside, they are fairly heavy compared to higher priced rods. If that doesn't bother you then the lightning rod is my suggestion since you are on a strict budget.

The reel, that will be a tougher one. I agree with LMG about getting a reel with a metal frame. I've used graphite and carbon (whatever its called) and they flex too much. Unfortunately I think this is going to put you over your price range.
The money he saves buying the lightening rod, he can put towards a reel, maybe a Tat that's on sale somewhere.

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

RuddyDuck

For a rod, You could go with Cabelas Pro Guide Bass Series. They make a 7-6 flipping stick. On sale for $40 now. Since I don't throw frogs alot, that is the rod I use. It's worked for me. Like others said, the Lightning rod would be an option too. The Cablela's rod has more eyes though, so I like it a little better.

That only leaves you $30 or so for a reel. Could look for something used with an Aluminum frame or up your price a little. If that is your max price, could take your chances with a Black Max and see how long it lasts! They are $40 at Walmart.

Good luck and keep fishing.
Dan

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: BubbaDbassin on August 09, 2017, 10:20:16 PM
I would set my price range from $50-$70
Dobyns just released the Colt series, which falls in your budget. If you know anything about Dobyn rods I would go check these out. If you don't, go to the Dobyns forum and speak to Gary Dobyns himself for guidance.