Smallmouth PB

Started by FlatsNBay, June 08, 2023, 07:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

Living in Florida all my life, I've not had very many opportunities to travel north to catch a smallmouth bass. Years ago I caught my first smallmouth along with a few more at Smith mountain lake in Virginia, the biggest going about a pound.

I participated in a media event with Fenwick Rods and Berkley fishing checking out their new debut of rods and new baits at Lake Oneida in NY.

Right off the bat, I caught a nice 4 lb. 3 oz smallmouth on a drop shot in about 10 feet of water. Later on in the day I beat my latest personal best. We were fishing a shoal and spawning flat that had scattered weeds and rocks.

I was using the brand new Fenwick World Class rod that will be introduced at ICAST and released Sept. 2023. Let me tell you, it is an amazing rod. We met the design team and they put over 2 years in research and development on their launch of 4 lines of rods.

I casted a Berkley Flat Worm on a drop shot on top of the shoal. I started a slow drag retrieve when I felt a slight tick. My rod loaded beautifully as I learned into my set. The fight was on. I knew it was a decent fish but wasn't sure how decent. I was slowly gaining on the fish but was surprised that it wasn't taking line (yet). Just as the fish neared the boat a rocket went off and the bass jumped completely out of the water head high. Our jaws dropped, it was a giant. My drag started screaming. My heart was pounding. We went back and forth with her taking line and me gaining line back. Around the boat we went. After what it seemed like eternity, I slid the big girl right into the net.

5 lbs. 04 oz. Can't stop smiling. My personal best.

Thanks for letting me share.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

RangerAndBass

Quote from: FlatsNBay on June 08, 2023, 07:47:54 PMLiving in Florida all my life, I've not had very many opportunities to travel north to catch a smallmouth bass. Years ago I caught my first smallmouth along with a few more at Smith mountain lake in Virginia, the biggest going about a pound.

I participated in a media event with Fenwick Rods and Berkley fishing checking out their new debut of rods and new baits at Lake Oneida in NY.

Right off the bat, I caught a nice 4 lb. 3 oz smallmouth on a drop shot in about 10 feet of water. Later on in the day I beat my latest personal best. We were fishing a shoal and spawning flat that had scattered weeds and rocks.

I was using the brand new Fenwick World Class rod that will be introduced at ICAST and released Sept. 2023. Let me tell you, it is an amazing rod. We met the design team and they put over 2 years in research and development on their launch of 4 lines of rods.

I casted a Berkley Flat Worm on a drop shot on top of the shoal. I started a slow drag retrieve when I felt a slight tick. My rod loaded beautifully as I learned into my set. The fight was on. I knew it was a decent fish but wasn't sure how decent. I was slowly gaining on the fish but was surprised that it wasn't taking line (yet). Just as the fish neared the boat a rocket went off and the bass jumped completely out of the water head high. Our jaws dropped, it was a giant. My drag started screaming. My heart was pounding. We went back and forth with her taking line and me gaining line back. Around the boat we went. After what it seemed like eternity, I slid the big girl right into the net.

5 lbs. 04 oz. Can't stop smiling. My personal best.

Thanks for letting me share.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
Woo-hoo!!!!!  Congrats Steve!  A great fish

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!

twocold

congratulations very nice fish

Capt. BassinLou

Oldfart9999

Congrats, Flats!!! Oneida is loaded with smallies like that, they can be caught season long. There is also largemouth that size and larger, great lake for bass fishing.
Rodney

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Mike Cork

Beautiful fish, congratulations! I know you had a blast catching her.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Pat Dilling

Wow, that's good one!  Congratulations!!
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

apenland01

Awesome fish, congrats!  Thanks for sharing the story and pics!

Smallie_Stalker

Congrats Steve!

I am so jealous. Beats my PB smallie of 4.12 lb. by a long shot. Beautiful looking fish and you caught it on my favorite drop shot bait too!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Donald Garner

Congrats on the new PB  ~c~   Tks for sharing the trip report and picture with us also  ~shade
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Eric-Maine

Awesome trip and report.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk