I want to try Fluorocarbon line

Started by Bud Kennedy, March 01, 2023, 01:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

I have never tried or used Fluorocarbon on any of my reels.  This year I would like to try some on a baitcaster.  I want a line that is supple and will sink for use with soft plastics (both work and creature) baits.  The river I fish has deep water and I need some help other then adding weight to get down a bit deeper.  I want to fish around 15 ft as the optimum depth but we do have pockets that are deeper than 20-30 ft that I will typically use with a weight.  I am targeting those fish in the 10-15 ft depth. 

I have been shy about using fluoro due to all the poor reports about how the line retains memory and is not as supple.  I see most here use a wide variety of this line but there does not seem to be a consensus about what is best.  In my planned set up I don't want to use a leader configuration and want to be straight fluorocarbon on the spool without any other backing.   What are your recommendations.  I currently am leaning towards Tatsu.

coldfront

baitcasting:  been using trilene 100% flouro for a very long time now.  10 and 12# test are pretty manageable.  15 pound 'can be'...  and I'm tossing this on 7.5 foot MH XFast rods.

for me, since I like to toss a lot of weightless plastics (zoom super flukes, floating worms, senko, etc), 1/8 ounce t-rigs, etc, that's where the 10 or 12# gets a LOT of use.
when I'm tossing the 1/2 is when the 15# gets more 'manageable' in terms of potential to backlash.

lots of good lines out there.  I've just never had a problem with the trilene in terms of abrasion resistance, longevity, manageability.  keep hearing about sunline...

and I'm still fishing a few reels with 3+ year old flouro on them...  longevity doesn't matter nearly as much to me as castability, the ability to reel back what I've tossed (with, without a fish attached)

and I do NOT use line conditioners.

Smallie_Stalker

Back when I fished flouro I tried a bunch of different lines before I settled on Trilene 100% flouro. That is what I fished with right up until I quit using flouro altogether.

I did get a chance to fish with Tatsu up in Vermont a couple years ago and I have to say I was impressed. Personally not sure the slight difference in performance is enough to justify the price difference over the Trilene 100% though.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

apenland01

I got started with K9 fluoro from this site about 3 years ago and I use it in 8lb for spinning and 12-15 on my baitcasters.  I also bought spools of Sniper and like it as well.  Both perform well, but you need to tie a good fluoro knot.  I use the double improved clinch knot, but others will have favorite knots too...

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: apenland01 on March 01, 2023, 02:31:53 PM
I got started with K9 fluoro from this site about 3 years ago and I use it in 8lb for spinning and 12-15 on my baitcasters.  I also bought spools of Sniper and like it as well.  Both perform well, but you need to tie a good fluoro knot.  I use the double improved clinch knot, but others will have favorite knots too...

I have 2 spools of 14 lb. K-9 flouro but it is not the 100%. I bought it to test it but haven't gotten the opportunity to do so yet. Times on the water are few and far between for me for now.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

apenland01

The K9 "fluoro" is a blended product, copolymer if you will.  It was an amazing product until Covid and something changed with it.  I had some breakoffs where I never would have before.  The stuff was nearly bullet-proof.  The 100% fluoro is a pure fluorocarbon and is very good.  The standard issues with all fluorocarbon lines apply here.

I may try the blended stuff again one of these days, but I have so many spools of line, it'll take me a couple of seasons to use it all up and need to get fresh...

Dink Dawg

I would suggest Seaguar Invizex.  It has the characteristics you're looking for.  It's never let me down.  It will let you know very quickly if  flourocarbon is a fit for you regardless of brand or label. 

loomisguy

For me all the supposed problems with Flouro are kinda like a UFO, I've heard about them but never personally seen one.
Tatsu is the best but both invisx and sniper are great and a lot cheaper.
I always use cheap mono or braid for backing. Tatsu lasts well .I can get 6 months or so out of it.
If it starts to get nicked up I find a wife or kid that's handy , cut the bait off and have them walk it out to the backing knot. Then I cut it and we switch ends and I wind on the most used end to the bottom of the spool. FYI , A fence post works also and doesn't talk as much.
I have never needed any type of spray or conditioner.

Princeton_Man

You probably don't want to start out using my Fluorocarbon, but I can swear that it will get an A in every category. I started out with a couple of flavors of Berkley, then a couple flavors of Seaguar. My Fluoro today is Seaguar Tatsu.

Berkely Trilene snapped often in cold weather and had too much memory. Berkley Vanish started out really good for me, but something changed over time and it's abrasion resistance changed drastically seemed to vanish. Fishing jigs in rocky river bottoms, I had to re-tie too often. I bought a couple others that never even made it on my reels. Then I found Seaguar. I tried their Red Label, it had memory issues, then I shot to the top and bought a spool of Tatsu and my Fluorocarbon life changed forever. Not even many Pros would spend that much money on fishing line, but it makes me happy and life is too short. I generally only buy it when it's on sale in 1000 yard spools and store it in my garage refrigerator.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Dark3

You may want to consider a line conditioner like line and lure or reelsnot to help your experience. You can put some on a rag and run the line through it as you spool up then give it a spritz now and then. Ive always used flouro in the past although Im currently going to take a break from it and just use big game and braid. I will probly end up back on flouro just for the lack of stretch because Im not a big braid person. Only heavy apps. For a recommendation sunline shooter, although quality always seems questionable on every product over different periods of time so you will always read good and bad reviews on all the top products. One more thing to contribute to you shying away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loomisguy

Quote from: Dark3 on March 02, 2023, 06:12:08 AM
You may want to consider a line conditioner like line and lure or reelsnot to help your experience. You can put some on a rag and run the line through it as you spool up then give it a spritz now and then. Ive always used flouro in the past although Im currently going to take a break from it and just use big game and braid. I will probly end up back on flouro just for the lack of stretch because Im not a big braid person. Only heavy apps. For a recommendation sunline shooter, although quality always seems questionable on every product over different periods of time so you will always read good and bad reviews on all the top products. One more thing to contribute to you shying away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quot

I like Shooter also in anything above 15lb. but it's a hard line with some memory. It is to Sunline as Abrasx is to Seaguar.
I would go the more manageable route with Invisx or Sniper to get started.

Pat Dilling

I have been using Seaguar Red Box for many years. It is inexpensive and lasts a long time.  Like others suggested, I back it with in expensive mono filament to save on the more expensive flourocarbon.  I use it on my baitcasters from 12 lb up to 20 lb depending on applications and locations.  I use line conditioner on reels that I have not used for a while.  I have found if I am getting too much memory coil, I spray the line conditioner on and let it rest for a few minutes.  Then I hook it to a fence post and walk away, well past a cast length, and then stretch the line for several pulls.  Then I reel it back in with strong tension and that helps get rid of the coils and it casts like it should.  I have tried some of the more expensive varieties from both Seaguar and Sunline, but did not feel the difference justified the extra cost.
PS The only thing I use monofilament for these days is for topwater, and spool backing.
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

njpaulc

The most important part of fishing flouro is the knot.  I tie a regular old improved clinch knot, and as long as I am careful it holds fine, if I am careless or rushed, it slips or breaks.  Whatever knot you tie, be sure and lube (moisten) it,  friction burns flouro and weakens it.

BassmanRudy

Like mentioned use a line conditioner before going out!
And (if possible) tie 1 end to something and let out a good cast distance and put slight tension on it for a minute or so. Not setting the hook or pulling hard- a slight tension seems to erase the memory after applying the conditioner.
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Blacknredflake

I just spooled a Tatula with 20lb Sniper on my Jig rod.  I sprayed it with reel magic afterwards.   Used it a few hours later during a tournament saturday.

Its dang smooth flipping a jig.   I like it.

Respooled a SLX with 14LB Sniper on my T-Rig rod.  Havent tried it yet and Im nervous as heck to overhand cast it

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

apenland01

I have no problems with Sniper, it casts fine no matter 12-16 for me and I'm a "cast however I can get it there" kind of guy...

NavyToad

Seaguar invented the stuff and they're still leading the way. I don't use much flouro, but I like their Invizex.
Retired Navy.
Professional muddler.

Blacknredflake

Quote from: apenland01 on April 11, 2023, 10:56:54 PM
I have no problems with Sniper, it casts fine no matter 12-16 for me and I'm a "cast however I can get it there" kind of guy...
Well Ive used my Texas Rig setup with 14lb Sniper and its really good!   Had no issues with it. Even in the wind it went just fine.

Like it so much I ordered few spools of 16lb and 20lb .

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

Eric-Maine

Quote from: Pat Dilling on March 02, 2023, 09:58:14 AM
I have been using Seaguar Red Box for many years. It is inexpensive and lasts a long time.  Like others suggested, I back it with in expensive mono filament to save on the more expensive flourocarbon.  I use it on my baitcasters from 12 lb up to 20 lb depending on applications and locations.  I use line conditioner on reels that I have not used for a while.  I have found if I am getting too much memory coil, I spray the line conditioner on and let it rest for a few minutes.  Then I hook it to a fence post and walk away, well past a cast length, and then stretch the line for several pulls.  Then I reel it back in with strong tension and that helps get rid of the coils and it casts like it should.  I have tried some of the more expensive varieties from both Seaguar and Sunline, but did not feel the difference justified the extra cost.
PS The only thing I use monofilament for these days is for topwater, and spool backing.
Agree. It is important to respool often no matter which line size that you use. I have 1000 yard red label spools of each. Red label doesn't work well on spinning reels but is fine leader to braid. Red, IMO, is great on baitcasters. I used to buy invi"woops" for spinning but will probably go all red when the invi"woops" is gone.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Hobious

Sunline Sniper is my goto F-Line. 

chrisD46

A good easy to manage and use FC line which is also a good value is Seaguar InvizX : #6 lb. ~ #10 lb. for spinning reel leader to braid and for bait cast #12 lb. ~ #20 lb. You get what you pay for and this FC line is a best seller for a reason .

Oldfart9999

I like Power Pro, both the regular and the eight strand. The most important thing with flouro, IMHO, is to be extra careful with your knots.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Hobious

going to Flouro from what?  i assume Mono?

i am 100% Sunline Sniper.  i bounce between 12-14, mostly dependent on what is in stock.  i have line conditioner, but i dont use it that often.

Sniper is great stuff for me.  i will occasionally, cut my lure off and drag as much line behind me as i can from the kayak.  i like to make sure it isnt twisted.  and snug it down tight when i reel it back in.  housekeeping.

i just respooled with 14 a few days ago.  the bass rubbmed all my line against trees and logs, and it was very old to begin with. 

Oldfart9999

Well, I did it, I showed you why you shouldn't do drugs. I took some hydrocodone and an hour and a half later joined the discussion about fluorocarbon line by posting about braid, dumb, absolutely dumb, see Nancy Reagans commercials about fried eggs and drug and you'll have the picture.
Drug addled Oldfart

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

fishingram24

Seguar Invizx or Red Label and Sunline Sniper for me. Tried a few others but these are the ones that have worked well for me. Think Seaguar was the first to market with fluorocarbon line and I have little to no problems with their line.
Retired and loving every minute of it!