How good is Lew’s

Started by HookingDreams, April 07, 2018, 07:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HookingDreams

The more that i do research on baitcasters the more i want my next one to be a Lew's. i want someone who has or has had problems with them to tell me how they liked or disliked theirs. i see a lot of people with lew's rods and was wondering if their reels are just as good. i am deciding between a Lew's or a Diawa.

Ranger20

I am a Lews fan Reels only, as I make my own rods. I prefer the MB and the SuperDuty, they cast a mile. Durability is off the charts never a failure.
Duane "Tom" Imlay
2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
J

WTodd

I have a Lews Tournament and it's a good reel but I prefer my Shimano Curados much more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

Which Lews you looking at? They have their good reels, and their cheap garage.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

jonboy

The super duty is probably the best feeling reel I have ever owned. My usual price range is not off the chart but I have had many Curadoes and Calcuttas. Don't let the Name "Super Duty" fool you. It in no way feels or fishes like it would be considered Heavy Duty. I now have three over 4 years old and still feels great. I also have several other models in the mid price range with no complaints.
The only thing more depressing than not catching fish is not being able to go

HookingDreams

Been looking at bb1, custom speed spool, tournament mb, and pro g

HookingDreams

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on April 07, 2018, 09:00:56 PM
Which Lews you looking at? They have their good reels, and their cheap garage.

<")))>{

analfisherman

I have a TeamLews ProZ...TLP1SHZL....LIKE IT a lot. (6.1 oz.....7.1:1...32 IPT). It's a Speed Spool.
I had it sent DIRECTLY to Mike Bush from retailer......I just 'prefer' that my new reels are cleaned and greased before I use them, some manufacturers get a little carried away with grease and lube in their factories.

Anyway Mike swapped out the bearings with ceramic hybrids for free.....so I guess I've never tossed/used a stock Lews Baitcaster.

I've had ZERO challenges with it and I've used it since 2016....went on a LSCR that I got the same year. (New rod...new reel....some sort of Bait Monkey requirement  ;) ;D)

It's gone through the ringer and I throw everything from 1/8th jigs to flukes and Squarebills and hard stick baits to wieghtless stickbaits (senko stylke) baits to lippless cranks.
Adjusts easily and casts a mile...drag is GREAT 14 lb.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: HookingDreams on April 08, 2018, 12:07:36 AM
The Pro G is a really nice reel. Out of the box, I did zero modification to it. That thing is a casting machine, and has no problem casting light baits. I am really enjoying mine. The centrifugal brakes are a nice design in how they work, and are extremely easy to adjust on the fly. I highly suggest that reel out of all of them for all around use. The spool is light, brakes are awesome, comes with a 95mm carbon fiber handle and 11 bearings, and is crazy smooth. The LFS platform that this reel is based on is very comfortable in the hand too.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

loomisguy

They make a nice reel and I used to have a bunch of them. They also had or may still have a tournament rewards program.
I drive by the headquarters and tackle store a lot so it was real easy for me to get service.
But I still like Shimano and Daiwa better and ended getting rid of mine. I had BB1 pro's, Pro G 's and tournament speed spools.
I think Lew's has done a great job of marketing.

TheLastRodBender

my last 3 baitcast reels that I've bought have all been Lews Carbon Fire Speed Spools.  I've let 2 of my regular fishing buddies try mine out while on the water... both of them have purchased at least 2 each and added them to their rotation.  My dad within the last 2 years has decided to get out of his own old school ways and branch out to baitcasters instead of only using spinning.  He bought a Lews combo, used it a few times, and has bought 2 more. 

Some of the best, most comfortable and user friendly baitcasting reels I've ever thrown....

Princeton_Man

I've have many Lew's reels. Never been disappointed with any of them. They've been great performers out of the box and very reliable.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

SteveTX

I have a few Lew's (10) and like them all just fine.  ;D
If you have any issue Lew's customer support is awesome as well.

LgMouthGambler

I have acquired a few, and testing them out currently. Here is my take on what I have so far.

Super Duty G LFS. That is one tough reel. I love the LFS platforms ergonomics, and this reel is wonderful for frogging, especially walking the frog. It's very comfortable in my hands.

Tournament Pro G. Again, LFS platform, so very comfortable. The centrifugal brakes are a very nice design. Variable settings that you don't have to worry about adjusting from the inside. All the adjustment is one the outside, and it's done so via a clicking dial. Simple, easy to use, and very effective. I wish Shimano would use a better system like this instead of what they have now. Never thought I'd say Doyo made a better braking system then Shimano.

Team Lite. Just got this reel, and it's ridiculously light. I was thinking of purchasing the Magnesium Lite as well, but I can't think of any reason it would be better than this as it's the same reel, only lighter. This reel has the same centrifugal brakes the Tournament Pro G has, so I already know it's gonna cast great. It's very smooth out the box, and has a bearing everywhere you can have one. The knobs are nice and comfortable, the overall appearance is simple yet elegant. It's overall dimensions are pretty spot on to my favorite reels, the Shimano 50E platform.

Lews has changed their lineups, and for the better. The new Doyo reels that are coming to the market are out for blood against the big 2. Your offerings from BPS, Abu, Lews, and now even Daiwa is having a $100 reel produced by them, are really gonna bridge that "gap".

Take this from a reel tuner/service guy. You'd be surprised at how many parts in reels are made by the same manufacturing companies. That includes Shimano and Daiwa. If the reel feels good to you, and it performs the way it makes your fishing experience better, go for it. If you need any advice on particulars of any certain reels, I'm sure someone on here has owned it, used it, or serviced it to help direct you. I go through many reels in my buying/selling and servicing, that I can help you in any way possible if need be.

Hope this maybe helped you a little further .

<")))>{

Oldfart9999

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on April 17, 2018, 04:57:51 AM
I have acquired a few, and testing them out currently. Here is my take on what I have so far.

Super Duty G LFS. That is one tough reel. I love the LFS platforms ergonomics, and this reel is wonderful for frogging, especially walking the frog. It's very comfortable in my hands.

Tournament Pro G. Again, LFS platform, so very comfortable. The centrifugal brakes are a very nice design. Variable settings that you don't have to worry about adjusting from the inside. All the adjustment is one the outside, and it's done so via a clicking dial. Simple, easy to use, and very effective. I wish Shimano would use a better system like this instead of what they have now. Never thought I'd say Doyo made a better braking system then Shimano.

Team Lite. Just got this reel, and it's ridiculously light. I was thinking of purchasing the Magnesium Lite as well, but I can't think of any reason it would be better than this as it's the same reel, only lighter. This reel has the same centrifugal brakes the Tournament Pro G has, so I already know it's gonna cast great. It's very smooth out the box, and has a bearing everywhere you can have one. The knobs are nice and comfortable, the overall appearance is simple yet elegant. It's overall dimensions are pretty spot on to my favorite reels, the Shimano 50E platform.

Lews has changed their lineups, and for the better. The new Doyo reels that are coming to the market are out for blood against the big 2. Your offerings from BPS, Abu, Lews, and now even Daiwa is having a $100 reel produced by them, are really gonna bridge that "gap".

Take this from a reel tuner/service guy. You'd be surprised at how many parts in reels are made by the same manufacturing companies. That includes Shimano and Daiwa. If the reel feels good to you, and it performs the way it makes your fishing experience better, go for it. If you need any advice on particulars of any certain reels, I'm sure someone on here has owned it, used it, or serviced it to help direct you. I go through many reels in my buying/selling and servicing, that I can help you in any way possible if need be.

Hope this maybe helped you a little further .

<")))>{

Listen to this guy!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Polaris425

Excellent... I love all of mine.

I have everything from $80 versions to $240 versions.

And they are all great.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.