Flipping Hooks and Knots

Started by FlatsNBay, March 07, 2023, 01:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

Which hooks and knots do you like for flipping pitching and punching?

As a hardcore pitcher and puncher, I've tried many different brands and models of hooks over the years. Most I've found are very sharp but very few have a decent keeper because the keeper either moves or even shatters when the keeper is made from plastic.

I was a die hard snell knot user for many years but I am now testing a palamor knot instead to see if there is a difference good or bad.  So far I have no complaints but still want to test it some more before deciding.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Smallie_Stalker

"Which hooks and knots do you like for flipping pitching and punching?"

Hook: My hook of choice is the Denny Brauer Grip Pin Max Flippin' hook by Mustard.

Knot: I use either the BubTosh snell knot or a Palomar.

I haven't noticed any difference good or bad between the two knots, but depending on how bad my tremors are I go with whichever is easier to tie on any given day.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

FlatsNBay

Anyone see the new hook from VMC? They are called the VMC Redline series. Very interested in this line of hooks. They are pretty pricey though.

Larry Francis

Like stated in another thread I have just went to the Gamakatsu HD flippin hook. Really like it so far mainly because the keeper.

In lighter cover I will use a Mustad EWG hook.  Also for very thick baits like an 7-8 inch Stick bait, or a swim or fluke style bait which I will flip on occasion.

For the flpiin hook I use the Snell knot, and a Polomar for the EWG.

Just my 2 cents.
Molon Labe

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: FlatsNBay on March 07, 2023, 06:05:33 PM
Anyone see the new hook from VMC? They are called the VMC Redline series. Very interested in this line of hooks. They are pretty pricey though.

I haven't seen those Flats. Thanks for posting the video. 

Let us know your findings if you try them out.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Donald Garner

I use 3 different types of hooks when Flipping a Pitching depending on the cover and structure and the type of soft plastic I'm fishing with. 

#1 is the Lazer Trokar Flippin' Hook
#2 is the Lazer Trokar EWG Worm Hook
#3 is the VMC Heavy Duty Flippin Hook

When fishing heavy cover etc. I'll use either #1 or #3 due to the bait keeper that's on the hook.  If I'm fishing a Plastic Worm or a Lizard then I'll use the #2 hook. 

I prefer to use the Snell Knot when flippin.  I'll use the Palomar Knot when fishing the EWG hook setup.  One of the things I noticed when using the Snell Knot was the location of the hook set on the fish.  Most 99% were in the roof of the mouth.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

apenland01

I honestly don't even know what flipping and punching is...

We power fish stuff and then drop shot if that's not working. 

Dink Dawg

I've used the same knot for 40 years, improved clinch.  Gamakatsu HD straight shank and Super Line EWG cover 95 percent of my needs.  I don't have super heavy punching situations like the Delta or Florida anglers experience.

FlatsNBay

I must say that I'm surprised. So far, for me the palamor knot has a much better hook up ratio than the snell. I've been a die hard snell knot user for many years. I still have some more testing to do....

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

RangerAndBass

I am a Trokar Flippin hook and love them.
Also 100% snell.  because i was on a friends boat and had to tie a flipping hook so i tied a palomar. (I glue my snells and i didnt have any with me) . I missed a couple fish and i am blaming the palomar, rightly or wrongly.  i will not be changing away from my snell.
Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!