Lancer Pistol Grip Casting Rod

Started by Donald Garner, March 20, 2022, 04:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald Garner

Alrighty how many of you guys have ever fished with a 5ft Lancer Model # 6J-6056 Heavy Action Pistol Grip casting rod?

The wife and I were visiting one of the local Antique Shops here.  One of the vendors had a couple buckets full of these rods.  Each rod was priced @ $6.00 dollars.  I bought 4 of them 2 of which I'm going to rig up for my grandkids when they come down in May.  The ones I bought for my grandkids were Light Weight rods for small crankbaits, jigs etc.

The rod in the picture I matched it up with a  ABU Garcia Black Max low profile bait casting reel.  I tied on a practice casting bait a 3/8oz jig and played around in the yard with it.  I'm going to use this for spinnerbait fishing.  The other one I'm going to rig it up for Texas Rigged soft plastics.

The rod reminds me of those Lew's Speed Sticks from back in the late 70's and early 80's.  It has those white ceramic guides and of course that pistol grip on a black fiberglass blank.  I'm looking forward to getting it out on the water and play around with it. 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Smallie_Stalker

That's a sweet find Don.

I have a similar looking 5' pistol grip somewhere in the back of my storage closet. I don't believe it is that particular make but it does have those same white guide inserts you mentioned. If I remember right that was the norm.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro  using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Eric-Maine

Awesome find.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

big g

I like pistol grip rods for jerkbaits.  They are easier to get a walking action going without a long butt.  You don't need a big set with treble hooked baits.  A six foot pistol grip is perfect. 
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

D.W. Verts

I still use them. Always will, too.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: big g on March 21, 2022, 04:33:12 PM
I like pistol grip rods for jerkbaits.  They are easier to get a walking action going without a long butt.  You don't need a big set with treble hooked baits.  A six foot pistol grip is perfect.
Basil Bacon and Charlie Campbell both used the short pistol grips for walking spooks.

I agree that for any walking bait they make it easier to work. I still prefer short rods for several techniques, especially working close to cover.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro  using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire