Water Lines Clean Out

Started by Deadeye, March 06, 2021, 08:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadeye

If you have a Mercury Optimax, and probably a lot of other outboards, near the top where the "pee" stream comes out there is a Plug.

Unscrew that plug and screw into where it was a garden water hose.

What this does is run water Backwards through the entire system flushing out any bits and pieces that get stuck in there causing low water flow.

I turned the water on into mine and I could hear the water working it's way through.

The stream went from this:

To this:

It also cleaned out the lower pickup ports so that the water flowed strong through them.

Just a quick and easy way to clean out your motor. Especially important if you fish in grassy or sandy/dirty water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldfart9999

Good reminder with pictures Fred!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

geneinnc

There is a chance I get my new repower 150 today. I normally read the manual but I will see if Tohatsu/Honda has that option.

Good tip!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Bassinkorea

Quote from: Deadeye on March 06, 2021, 08:53:21 AM
If you have a Mercury Optimax, and probably a lot of other outboards, near the top where the "pee" stream comes out there is a Plug.

I too have an Optimax with a weak pee stream compared to others.
How are you attaching the water hose to the motor, I just can't see in the photos?
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

FD

@BK

There is a screw cap you remove to connect the hose.

Also if you take your left lower housing of there is a water filter that is not replaced during a normal Mercury service.  Its a pain to get to but the time spent is worth it. 

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment.    FDx Custom Rods.   CPFLURES.COM

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Bassinkorea

Thanks FD, I'll check it out next weekend when I get over to the boat.

Deadeye

Quote from: Bassinkorea on March 06, 2021, 04:56:46 PM
Quote from: Deadeye on March 06, 2021, 08:53:21 AM

I too have an Optimax with a weak pee stream compared to others.
How are you attaching the water hose to the motor, I just can't see in the photos?
Right beside the Pee Hole is a plastic plug. I use a crescent wrench to remove and replace mine. It has a Square Head on it.

FD is correct there is another water filter (a screen) that is located on the left side of the motor facing forward.
A zip tie holds the hose on, then once the hose is removed the part that holds the screen screws off.

As to how I screw the hose on to back flush, I reverse twist the hose several times then put it on the opening. That helps to allow you to twist the hose on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bassinkorea