Graphite vs Fiberglass for deep-cranking 12’+

Started by pantera61, September 22, 2021, 10:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pantera61

I'm extremely happy since making the switch from graphite to glass for shallow to med-depth cranks, 1'-12'.  My hooked to landed ratio isn't 100% but I honestly can't complain.
Deep-cranking, which I'll call 12' and deeper, is a different story.  I'll call it 60%-40%, hooked to landed.  I came to the conclusion the limited sensitivity of glass which works to my advantage in solid hooking in shallow water, works against me in deeper depths.
My deep season is about a month and half AND still makes up maybe only 10% fishing day, at that.
I don't mind spending money on tackle but since I'm not fishing tournaments any more, is it cost effective?
Any thoughts?

Smallie_Stalker

If it ain't broke don't fix it! Use what works for YOU.

I personally prefer composite rods for all my cranking, but have to admit the Sierra rods which are graphite are pretty good for deeper cranking.

If I ever get to go fishing again the 2 new Kaden graphite cranking rods I have may affect opinion on which is better overall.

Sent from my One Plus 9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

D.W. Verts

You might try 30# braid. It's amazing what you can feel that crankbait do with it.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: D.W. Verts on September 22, 2021, 06:17:03 PM
You might try 30# braid. It's amazing what you can feel that crankbait do with it.

Dale
X 2. I've been using braid on my cranking rods for about 20 years now. I don't think I could ever fish them on anything else. I tried flouro a few times but I kept going back to braid.

Sent from my One Plus 9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

hydrillagorillahunter

I run a Tatula 150 on a Dobyns 806CB which is graphite.  When I think deep cranks I lean towards 17+' ie 10XD, LC SKT Mag120DR, Big M 7.5s...  I run them on 12lb sunline assassin with no issues, but will admit I'm more line conscious with regard to checking my line more often for abrasion.  I'm always trying to setup with the wind to my back and must say the Dobyns 806CB is up there with the finest offerings when it comes to chucking giants plugs...consistently launching them 50-70yds easy.

If there was anything to change with this setup, and if money wasn't an obstacle, I'd replace the Tatula 150 with a Steez A HLC and replace the stock handle with the larger Tatula 150 handle, which is perfect for giant plugs.   

rb-nc

Got a couple of questions.
1 What type of line are you using
2 Where are you losing the fish: Right after hook up or at the boat.
Mono has a ton of stretch. Fluro does stretch but they are different. Mono acts more like a rubber band in the way is stretches. That is bad on a long cast.
Look at it this way. When you make a long cast with a heavy crankbait, if you are using mono, you have give. If you use a glass rod you have more give. And the hooks on a deep diver are big, it will be hard to drive those hooks in on a long cast.
I use an eight foot composite rod with 30lb braid, Maxcatro, to a 12lb mono leader. The rod is fairly stiff but the tip which is glass is soft.
But if you are losing the fish at the boat your setup is probably ok. Try adjusting your drag some or when the fish is at the boat be ready to hit the free spool button and let him go 

Capt. BassinLou

Are you using the crankbaits stock hooks? Maybe consider changing out the hooks to a premium brand.

Dink Dawg

Each angler has their personal preference. For a true deep Cranmer I chose the Champion 805CB glass and employ 12 fluorocarbon.  I can feel my bait and strikes just fine and my landing ratio is great.  I replace all my hooks with high end Owner, Gammi or KVD wide gaps depending on the bait.  This just works real well for me. I want the slower rebound of a composite rod in this application.

pantera61

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on December 05, 2021, 05:53:59 AM
Are you using the crankbaits stock hooks? Maybe consider changing out the hooks to a premium brand.

O.S.P. JDM cranks use Fina hooks stock.  After 2 trip ( and sharpening) they get swapped out to Owner 36s (I think, don't have the box next to me). 

earldogg

I prefer graphite, I can't get away with 20lb braid on a dd crank set up, I'd snap it quick! 10-12 fluoro.

bassgal

Landing a fish with cranks using any kind of line shouldn't be a problem as long as you have line strong enough for the fish you are targeting.  The rod does the work and the reel takes in the line.  If you're missing the fishes bite with a crank you must be pulling it our of their mouth, keep reeling when fishing cranks, the fish will hook its self.  I like a 7' med rod, 8-10 lb line and any reel will get the job done!