Thoughts on BFS

Started by J.W., June 24, 2023, 11:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.W.

I've yet to dip my toe in that water, but I sure am thinking about it. Anyone else doing the BFS thing? What are your thoughts on it?

I'd love to be able to cast light weightless T-rigged stuff a good distance  with a casting setup instead of spinning gear.

What reels would work best for this? I was looking at the Tatula SV TW 70, the Curado BFS, and the Kast King Zephyr.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: J.W. on June 24, 2023, 11:55:24 AMI've yet to dip my toe in that water, but I sure am thinking about it. Anyone else doing the BFS thing? What are your thoughts on it?

I'd love to be able to cast light weightless T-rigged stuff a good distance  with a casting setup instead of spinning gear.

What reels would work best for this? I was looking at the Tatula SV TW 70, the Curado BFS, and the Kast King Zephyr.
I posted this question last year and got a lot of replies.

@Capt. BassinLou has some good experience with BFS so hopefully he (and others) will see and chime in.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: J.W. on June 24, 2023, 11:55:24 AMI've yet to dip my toe in that water, but I sure am thinking about it. Anyone else doing the BFS thing? What are your thoughts on it?

The BFS system has completely changed the way I fish. Spinning outfits are tools have the past for me. The BFS system is that good. Besides the reel, one of the keys to an effective bfs system is matching the correct rod to the technique(s) you want to throw.

As far as reels, there are several brands of bfs reels out there. Most bfs reels are pretty costly imho, but the KK Zephyr fit the bill for me.

FD

Zepher and Lews Custom Lite for me.  The key is the correct rod.

I have two blanks I use.  The ones I built Lou are on the SJ 703-1 ML EF.  Nfc 6406.  The other is a Rod Geek MH ES.

There is nothing in the boat I can't throw on those setups.

Paired with the correct reel and line, you can throw weightless plastics further than you can on spinning gear.
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

J.W.

Quote from: FD on June 24, 2023, 03:18:12 PMZepher and Lews Custom Lite for me.  The key is the correct rod.

I have two blanks I use.  The ones I built Lou are on the SJ 703-1 ML EF.  Nfc 6406.  The other is a Rod Geek MH ES.

Paired with the correct reel and line, you can throw weightless plastics further than you can on spinning gear.

Perfect. I have that exact NFC blank ordered. I was originally going to do a spinning rod with it, I think I'll do a casting rod after hearing what y'all had to say.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: J.W. on June 24, 2023, 04:02:12 PM
Quote from: FD on June 24, 2023, 03:18:12 PMZepher and Lews Custom Lite for me.  The key is the correct rod.

Perfect. I have that exact NFC blank ordered. I was originally going to do a spinning rod with it, I think I'll do a casting rod after hearing what y'all had to say.
That's an awesome blank for the bfs application

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

FD

Quote from: J.W. on June 24, 2023, 04:02:12 PM

I broke my favorite one last monthbon Toho by stepping on it...dumb.

I'll do a video series when I build its replacement.  Probably start in a couple of weeks.

J.W.

QuoteI'll do a video series when I build its replacement.  Probably start in a couple of weeks.

I will definitely watch it when you get it uploaded.

D.W. Verts

I fished this way for the first time in the early 90's. I never will like spinning gear. The "Hula Grub" came on strong one winter, and it was the best thing there was to catch bass in the cold water, but I detest spinning gear. So I found a light action six foot rod (I disremember the brand, but later it was a Falcon when they sponsored me) and put me on an Ambassadeur 2500C. With 6-8 lb. line it did the number on the bass.

I now have two of these combos that are a little more modern. Both are Dobyns 682's and they both have Kastking reels (one is the Zephyr). They work great. 'Cuz I hate spinning tackle.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Hobious

i have the Curado BFS reel on a Phenix Feather light.  it flings tiny baits far. 

i dont need to cast far, since i was just fishing a tiny tex rig just like i would fish a bigger tex rig.  casting to cover.   i dont like it that much and it rarely gets brought along on the boat.

i did okay with it.  i did hook a big one on a tiny bullet weight and a Zoom z-drop worm.  the fish took it and just kept going.  i tightened the drag and POP..the hook bent a bit and the fish came off. 

i still love spinning for it's strengths for me.  like long distance drop shotting in gin-clear waters. 

i will take the BFS and wade some nearby rivers.  i bet that is the game changer for me. 

earldogg

Custom Kistler 6'8" nfc light fast
Shimano alde51
7lb flouro
I didn't take this rig seriously   never in boat tournament day, now it almost never leaves boat.

loomisguy

Personally no. I can do all a need to do with a spinning rod. And with all the pressure that's on the fish these days I use them quite a bit.
I have 4 of them in the boat now. The expense to replace those with bait casters just doesn't appeal to me.

Oldfart9999

I was brought up on spinning and when I got back into fishing it's what I went with but when I started to get serious bass fishing I I started to get into baitcasters. I still use spinning for very light weights and for other finesse tactics like dropshot. Dropshot, for me isn't just a finesse tactic, I dropshot larger baits with it and use it in heavy grass, spinning doesn't do that well, baitcasters do. With spinning I can throw a small 4 inch worm a lot farther than I can with baitcasting, I also use spinning with the Petey rig, Peter "T"s finesse Carolina rig, I just find it easier to control. I also use it for swimming grubs, shaky head and skipping. Every time I try to learn skipping with a baitcaster I need a joint replacement or surgery for something else so I gave up trying, it's tough when you're old so I go with what works for me.
Rodney   
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Hobious

my friend was just recently fishing BFS on Clearlake.  oh-o!  he hooked a very very good bass and immediately got owned.

spinning would have resulted in a hooping and hollering session for sure. 

FD

Without details, I  would venture to say that "getting owned" is more user error than gear failure.

A BFS system is not plug and play.  It's a system that requires the proper combination of rod, reel, line AND technique.

I frequently boat 7-8 pound largemouth with no issues on my setups.  But I've spent the time learning how to fish it correctly. 

It's a personal preference for sure but imo, the BFS give you better casting accuracy and more power to handle larger fish in most situations.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Hobious on August 11, 2023, 08:12:24 PMmy friend was just recently fishing BFS on Clearlake.  oh-o!  he hooked a very very good bass and immediately got owned.

:-*  this will make for  a great sub-topic.  In your opinion, and experience. I'm curious, in your friends situation, how would spinning gear be more advantageous versus that of his bfs outfit?

D.W. Verts

The only thing that I will use spinning gear for exclusively is an Ozark thang- in the coldest water, with a suspending jerkbait. I make mile-long casts that just destroy what a baitcaster is capable of, especially in the wind. It's a huge deal when you use this technique.

Dale

loomisguy

Quote from: D.W. Verts on August 12, 2023, 01:07:20 PMThe only thing that I will use spinning gear for exclusively is an Ozark thang- in the coldest water, with a suspending jerkbait. I make mile-long casts that just destroy what a baitcaster is capable of, especially in the wind. It's a huge deal when you use this technique.

Dale

Sharing that one huh ??  lol.. Dont forget, it really helps if its snowing and sleeting

D.W. Verts

Okay, too much info right there LOOMIS. Dadgummit man.

Dale

Hobious

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on August 12, 2023, 10:04:13 AM
Quote from: Hobious on August 11, 2023, 08:12:24 PMmy friend was just recently fishing BFS on Clearlake.  oh-o!  he hooked a very very good bass and immediately got owned.

spinning gear can be Med-heavy and still throw a very light lure.  mine is Med.  20lb braid, 10lb leader.  way different than the 6lb flouro, and light rod my friend calls BFS.  irony, my friend was throwing something heavier than the BFS was set up for.  1/4 oz tex rig. 

:-*  this will make for  a great sub-topic.  In your opinion, and experience. I'm curious, in your friends situation, how would spinning gear be more advantageous versus that of his bfs outfit?