Thoughts on Baitcaster's Brake system

Started by greenpig, September 23, 2023, 10:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenpig

hi,forum
how about Baitcaster's brakes go 'free spooling' after certain numbers of its rotations?
if user manually set the numbers of spool rotation for brake. after that it becomes
'free spooling = Totally No brakes!'
so user can control applied brakes by setting numbers of spool's rotation.
this feature will be benefit for long cast. since after initial brake work,
after that no longer brake applied.

for example,if user set to brake rotation to number '15' on brake setting dial
after spool rotate 15 times, no more brake works from that point.

thanks for check.

FlatsNBay

Just curious, why would you want no brakes during the end of a cast? Isn't that when brakes are needed the most to slow the spool down to help prevent a backlash? I think that's the intention but I'm far from a reel expert.

Princeton_Man

I wouldn't like it. How would you calculate the number of rotations in relation to distance? Why would you want that anyway?
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Smallie_Stalker

It would still require an educated thumb. Maybe even more so than what modern reels require.

I wouldn't be a fan. Too many unknowns to try and compensate for. Keeping things as simple as possible is always the best solution IMO, and as the saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it.

For the record, centrifugal brakes control the spool at the beginning of the cast and magnetic braking works at the end of the cast to help slow the spool and prevent backlash.

While I personally prefer centrifugal braking and the use of the thumb, dual braking reels offer more fine tuned control.

MANY years ago, when the round ABU Garcia reels were the big thing we would often remove the brake tabs and then set the spool tension knob so loose that essentially their was no braking at all. Some guys even took the spool tension knob and washers off altogether.

This resulted in developing and educated thumb, but also a good share of backlash as well.

We have digital controlled reels already on the market that do a pretty impressive job of controlling when the spool should be spinning free or when it should be slowing down. Personally I think that is a better approach to using electronics in a reel.

Nothing is ever going to replace the educated thumb, but modern day reels do a really good job of cutting down or practically eliminating backlashing. Combine the two and an angler should have very few hassles on the water.

I'll say it again "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Dink Dawg

Well said Smallie. Braking plus thumb or digit spool friction is the way to go.