question

Started by hogcatcher, March 28, 2005, 07:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcatcher

i have a 850 85 hp mercury....the 3rd cylinder has low compression...and it needs a stator and carbs clean...how much would it cost to just rebuid it and would it be worth it..i just want a rough est..500,1000?...thanks

Chemdawg

I looked up on-line and e-mailed a company in Florida about "cleaning" up my 25 hp just to get an idea and they told me $1900. They would pay for it to be shipped to Florida but you would have to pay the cost to get it back. Naturally, I did not opt for this because I could get a new one for the same price.
"We sleep safely in our beds because brave men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm." George Orwell

Kal-Kevin

I check with local guy that work on boat motors and see if they would do it on their own time. often a guy will do it for some extra money just do not ask at his work place. it may take a little longer to get it back but most times it will be half the cost. I just tell them when it is done we wil take it out for a run to check it out. most times they say no problem there. good luck with it

Mike Cork

Honestly it depends on how bad that cylinder is? Does it just need re ringed or is there something wrong with the block? Probably won't find that out until you get into it. Since you are going to have to tear it down there will be several labor hours involved and then you need a couple parts and gasket kits. I am thinking that you will get a wide variety of estimates on this one but around here you are looking at probaby a grand to start plus parts, and hopefully nothing major is wrong with the block.

Like Kal-Kevin said, it might be worth it to find someone that will work on it on the side. This might be a great job to tackle yourself, call Mercury and see if you can get a manual on that motor and then go for it. If you are not in a hurry it could be a lot of fun ;)

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service