When They're Biting

Started by FlatsNBay, May 26, 2023, 07:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

When you are catching fish, how many of you switch up baits to experiment?

I find myself, after I catch a good number of fish, change to a different bait or technique. I'm always trying to learn. I figure that I already know pieces of the puzzle about the location and mood of active fish so it's a great time to experiment.

I'll also go back through an area that I've caught them with a different technique to see if I can catch any additional fish.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Eric-Maine

Quote from: FlatsNBay on May 26, 2023, 07:58:22 PM

I find myself, after I catch a good number of fish, change to a different bait or technique. I'm always trying to learn. I figure that I already know pieces of the puzzle about the location and mood of active fish so it's a great time to experiment.

I'll also go back through an area that I've caught them with a different technique to see if I can catch any additional fish.

This is my first ever hair jig fish. They were on the rhythm wave 2.8 and Ned but switched up for a little  bit. Should have retied, I lost it shortly after. Zebra mussels. VMC Twitching jig.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

RangerAndBass

Quote from: Eric-Maine on May 26, 2023, 08:53:18 PM
Quote from: FlatsNBay on May 26, 2023, 07:58:22 PM

This is my first ever hair jig fish. They were on the rhythm wave 2.8 and Ned but switched up for a little  bit. Should have retied, I lost it shortly after. Zebra mussels. VMC Twitching jig.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Nice Eric.
I have a bad habit when fun fishing, of as soon as I catch one, especially a smaller one, to change baits next cast almost to try to get a bigger one.
Not real smart but your body does what your brain tells it sometimes

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!

Capt. BassinLou

If the bite is hot, I don't necessarily change baits to experiment, but I will change the bait size.
For example, if I'm throwing a 5" swimbait with success, I will change to a bigger swimbait and test to see if a bigger swimbait is attracting bigger fish.

Smallie_Stalker

For me it depends on a few factors.

Some outings are just for learning a new technique or testing out new equipment or baits. In those instances I try to bring only those things and concentrate on them. It's not about catching in those circumstances.

With fishing opportunities being few and far between the past few years if I'm fishing to try and catch fish and there's a good bite going I don't usually change until that bite shuts down.

If they are biting but the fish are small and it's taking a lot of casts to get the next one I will change up or move to a new spot. If that spot has different cover (usually a motivator to move) then I will change to suit the situation.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

SenkoSam

QuoteWhen you are catching fish, how many of you switch up baits to experiment?

Switching lure types is usually not my thing, but if conditions are right for certain lure types I will tie them on. Examples would be surface lures, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, etc. My usual choice of lures is soft plastics rigged on jigs, the variety being shape, size and action worked on the surface or mid-depth. No one can tell me there isn't variety when it comes to plastics as shown in many of my past posts. 

My advice to anyone: catch fish on lures you like catching fish on.

Larry Francis

I do this constantly. Usually for short periods, but I like doing this as you say to learn new things.

I also do this because there are times I think the fish get use to seeing and rejecting a lure that they recently passed on and something new can trigger more bites.
Molon Labe