Winter Ned Rig Tactics ?

Started by chrisD46, January 17, 2024, 09:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisD46

I'm thinking a most successful wintertime Ned Rig retrieve tactic is dead sticking... What has been working for you of late with a Ned rig ?

topdsm0138

My favorite "Go-To" with a Ned is the Z-Man Bulletz Finesse in 1/6oz topped with a Z-man Ned TRD in either junebug or black w/blue flake. My spinning outfit only has 8lb test mono on it as well. I cast past where I want to target and light bounce 2 times, reel the excess slack, light bounce 2 times. Slow and steady.

Sent from undisclosed location. -Tiller Mafia
"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

FlatsNBay

Just a slow drag without imparting much action has been working in the colder water. I've been using a 1/16 oz ned head with a Savage Gear dragon tail ned. I'm liking the dragon tail but not so crazy about the elaztech type plastic which can make rigging a pain sometimes. Once it's rigged, it will last a long time though..

chrisD46

I see a good amount of "dead sticking" a Ned TRD in cold water using a light 1/16th oz. mushroom head . I'm thinking because the TRD floats tail up it may be a good do-nothing bait if you have just a little water current .

Eric-Maine

Don't be afraid to go heavy. 1/4-3/8 in deep water. Light sensitive rod 8lb line. Slow crawl with pauses. The spots I used to silver buddy in/near winter produce.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Pat Dilling

I agree with the dead stick approach. We have been using the hula stick in addition to the TRD. Lately we have been finding fish in 25 to 40 feet.  For us a 3/16 works best, sometimes 1/4. My wife likes to slowly drag the bait. Many times we do not feel the bite.
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!